PDA

View Full Version : WW/BW centreball experiment

silverbullet
12-21-2002, 01:52 PM
Instead of going 6-2, we went two games. My advantage was one ball, ie i broke and if nothing went down, I got to pot a ball.

WW is the type of APA 7 who cannot go back down. I am the type of sl2 who sometimes beats 3s, but not the best 3's.

WW could not believe I was saying no top or bottom in addition to no english, but I meant what I said, centreball only.

I did not expect to beat him. I wanted to see what edge he was getting from top, bottom and english since i almost always shoot centreball. In a typical game, he would take me out in 1-2 innings or in a match, 7-0. I did have a slight handicap with the one ball. The ball fell on the second break, so he only gave up one ball. The results were interesting.

The innings were 5/5, ie 5 innings in each game for him to beat me. Included in this was the fact that I had to remind WW at least 4 times per game that he was 1/2 to 1 tip high, not centreball. once he aimed centre but shot high.

Before you jump all over me, I have too say that scott lee told ww he was hitting high when told to hit center and ww does not incorporate centreball in his practice sessions.

There is no question that ww is a much better player than I am. He beats me no matter how we match it up or handicap it. But I am convinced that I will keep practicing centerball, unless I am practicing one of randy or scott's draw/tangent line or stop drills.

One day when i am better, I want to be sure I am hitting the cb where I think I am and where I want to hit it. this has been quite an education for this learner of man's best game!!!

blu

Jon from MN
12-22-2002, 08:14 AM
hitting the center ball is not as easy as it looks I know many of players who dont hit the center of the ball with consistantsy ~~Jon~~

jjinfla
12-22-2002, 08:50 AM
Hey Lone Ranger, I think when most people say use centerball hit they really are referring to no left or right hit. A little top or bottom is allowed. It is possible to follow with a center ball hit by using the proper stroke but it completely takes away any draw. Jake

TomBrooklyn
12-22-2002, 08:51 AM
Sometimes I check if I'm hitting center ball by using an Elephant Cue Ball which has a target on it. A striped ball can be used also by setting it up with the stripe horizontal and level at the equator. Then put a lot of chalk on your tip, hit it with a center ball hit, and then retrieve it and see from the mark if you hit it dead center as you intended. It also works out that the circle around the number is suppossed to be about the limit of how far the ball can be hit off center high, low, left or right without miscuing. I think it can be hit a little lower than the line ok. So one can check if they are hitting where they intend to with follow, draw, and english also.

Cueless Joey
12-22-2002, 11:25 AM
Hitting center ball can be easier done if you aim at the very base of the cb first then go up. Or just look at the reflection of the ferrule. You can see if it's straight too.

silverbullet
12-22-2002, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Hey Lone Ranger, I think when most people say use centerball hit they really are referring to no left or right hit. A little top or bottom is allowed. It is possible to follow with a center ball hit by using the proper stroke but it completely takes away any draw. Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe scott or randy will chime in here. But I am pretty sure that when scott said centreball, he meant no toop, bottom, left or right. The problem was that what ww and I thought was centreball was really top. So I have had to practice to be able to hit in the center of the ball.

blu

Cueless Joey
12-22-2002, 11:54 AM
SS, Scott show the center ball on a 9-ball. The center of the stripe (horizontally) is center. It's actually about 1/16th of a tip below that to compensate for the radius of the tip according to the Monk.

Scott Lee
12-22-2002, 02:04 PM
Jake...Centerball means just that! No follow, no draw, no right or left english. With a centerball hit, shot with lag speed, and a smooth followthrough, the CB will skid exactly one foot (give or take a ball's width, or 2 inches). I demonstrate this concept in EVERY lesson. With a medium speed stroke, the CB will skid FIVE feet, before the skid is rubbed off, and momentum takes over. I find that far more people THINK they are hitting center, than actually are (until I SHOW them where true center is)!

Scott Lee