PDA

View Full Version : 8-ball solitaire

jjinfla
12-22-2002, 09:07 AM
To amuse myself I made up a little game I call 8-ball solitaire. I pretend I am two players playing a game of 8-ball. To start I just toss the balls on the table, or you can break if you like, tossing is just easier for me. Then my first player chooses either solds or stripes and attempts to run out. That player must ALWAYS attempt to make a ball and his job is to run out. He can never play an intentional safe. When he misses my 2nd player is then allowed to make ONE ball and then he MUST play safe. If he can't make a ball he plays safe. When the first player is down to just the 8-ball and misses then the 2nd guy can attempt to run out. I find that this little game has greatly improved my safe playing, and position playing, and shows how a person playing safe can win over a person who refuses to play safe shots. I haven't kept any records but it seems my safe player is ahead of my runout player. Jake--ideal game for my skizoid split personality. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

stickman
12-22-2002, 09:32 AM
I play eightball by myself often. I play similar to you but, both players are allowed to run out and both can play safes. I hate playing a great safe on myself. LOL

I may have to give your version a try. Another variation, I often play the 8 has to be banked. My banking is getting rusty, so I might have to make it all balls have to be banked. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12-22-2002, 10:22 AM
Another good variation of your 8 ball practice game is to designate opposite side pockets for the one ball and fifteen ball. Theses two balls must be pocketed in their respective side pockets to count, unless accidentally pocketed by your ghost opponnent, or else be spotted on the foot spot. This will allow you to choose shots that both require to run out and still offer a safety on a key ball should you miss., just an idea.

By the way many years before bar table play was so prevalent this is how 8 ball was commonly played.

Jimbo

bigbro6060
12-22-2002, 08:23 PM
jjinfla, i like the sound of your little game, i'll give it a go

I would probably just change it so that the Second player can runout when the first player is down to one ball and the black