PDA

View Full Version : What's all this about Playing the GHOST ?

bigbro6060
12-22-2002, 08:26 PM
I have no idea what this means or involves /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

can someone fill me in about what playing the ghost means ?

cheers

dddd
12-22-2002, 08:48 PM
shooting all the balls in without missing.
misses means that "ghost" you are playing wins.

cheesemouse
12-22-2002, 08:50 PM
bigbro6060,
Playing the ghost is normally done in 9 or 10 ball. The deal is you get a free break with ball in hand afterward. You have to runout or you loose to the ghost. Some player use this test as practice and some have been known to gamble at it. If you can beat the ghost you play pretty good. Hope that helps.

12-23-2002, 12:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> I have no idea what this means or involves /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

can someone fill me in about what playing the ghost means ?

cheers <hr /></blockquote>

i notice that you have gotten exactly no replies so i'll tell you what i think i know.

if you're the only shooter in the room and there are gamblers there, they might offer for you to shoot, in a proposition kinda way, against the ghost. remember, you can always try for weight.

the ghost never misses. generally, you break and get ball in hand after then must run out or you lose.

you might say that you can beat the ghost 1 out of 5 times and get someone to bet against that.

that's it.

dan...actually, i think the ghost is one of my ex-wives.

Rod
12-23-2002, 12:38 AM
dan...actually, i think the ghost is one of my ex-wives.

Dan, no it's actually one of my ex-girlfriends but, they probably have the same MO /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif BTW any of them ever move to AZ? LOL

12-23-2002, 12:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> dan...actually, i think the ghost is one of my ex-wives.

Dan, no it's actually one of my ex-girlfriends but, they probably have the same MO /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif BTW any of them ever move to AZ? LOL <hr /></blockquote>

one of my friday night pool, barbq and poker partners gave me a beercoozy, which i love, with these words on it:

"if a man says something, in a forest,

and there is no woman there,

is he still wrong???"

dan

Voodoo Daddy
12-23-2002, 03:58 AM
Watched Cory play the "12" ball {yes folks I said twelve} ghost for a few rubbels a rack. The ghost had him stuck 7 games in a hurry but this youngin' put on a show running the last 7 racks out!!! The ghost was pale when the smoke cleared.....

Perk
12-23-2002, 06:37 AM
I video tape my sessions when playin ghost. Its odd, so similiar to a match or gambling. Many times I win 5-0 or lose 0-5. Either I am breaking well, and with BIH I runout, or I break like I have never played the game and cant get past the 3 ball.

Ghost is fun and challenging. Its real similiar to playin a champ in a alternate break format. Runout of Lose!

cheesemouse
12-23-2002, 09:07 AM
Perk,
I play the ghost for practice and I think the key to making it easy is finding that minimum speed break that gives a nice spread with no problems to solve. It is a mystery to me how my home tables break can change from day to day.

Perk
12-23-2002, 09:13 AM
The way a table is breaking is key to alot of outcomes. The GOOD players can find the sweet spot early in competition and ride out the tourney. Others, tend to find the sweet spot of the break and they feel they are "Catchin a gear" and get into stroke. The past month of so, my breaks are inconsistent, and I dont seem to have energy to refocus and practise breaks...racking sucks..LOL

Next time I play ghost, I think I will focus on a soft consistent break..thanks for the tip.

cheesemouse
12-23-2002, 09:42 AM
Perk,
Well, if your foolish enough to listen to me here's another break practice that may help avoid the trap of breaking from the same spot all the time, you know the spot, your FAVORITE. While playing funzys with your buddys add this dimension to the game: while pocketing the nine you must send the cb into the kitchen and then break from where it lands; if you don't make it to the kitchen your opponent gets the break but has to pull the cueball in a straight line into the kitchen...this will result in your breaking from all the spots you never would for real. Anything to keep from bordom...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Perk
12-23-2002, 11:31 AM
I am not foolish enuff to listen to that..LOL...couse I might try it while drinking at the bar playin 8ball....

Cueless Joey
12-23-2002, 11:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Watched Cory play the "12" ball {yes folks I said twelve} ghost for a few rubbels a rack. The ghost had him stuck 7 games in a hurry but this youngin' put on a show running the last 7 racks out!!! The ghost was pale when the smoke cleared..... <hr /></blockquote>
That is incredible. Using that crappy piece of kaka cue too?
Lemme guess, custom shaft?