PDA

View Full Version : Mosconi Cup - Bad actors ??

Bob_in_Cincy
12-23-2002, 12:53 PM
Hello everyone,

I happened to be looking at the 9-ball forum on MatchRoomSports. There's a lot of anti-American feeling regarding comments made by Charle Williams & Cory Deuel, and also something about Nick Varner intentionally moving a ball. Any one here have a handle on this? I saw Wally_in_Cincy or the_Natti or some such /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif over there (and showing remarkable restraint I might add), but anybody else up on that?

Regards & Happy Holidays,

Bob In Cincy

Kato
12-23-2002, 01:14 PM
What's the forum sight. I'd be happy to check it out.

Kato

Tom_In_Cincy
12-23-2002, 01:20 PM
Kato,

Your wish is my command...

http://www.matchroomsportforums.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1614

Kato
12-23-2002, 01:24 PM
Thanks Tom.

Kato

cheesemouse
12-23-2002, 01:46 PM
Bob,
I've kind of lurked this site for the last two big events over there and very few Americans post there. They think we are full of ourselves and arrogant SOB's. It's actually kind of funny how they hate us and only wish to see our faces in the mud...if you want some fun just post as the 'UGLY AMERICAN' and watch out for the pitch forks... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Popcorn
12-24-2002, 08:29 AM
I read some over there and I did not see what I would define as anti-American.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-26-2002, 07:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Hello everyone,

I happened to be looking at the 9-ball forum on MatchRoomSports. There's a lot of anti-American feeling regarding comments made by Charle Williams &amp; Cory Deuel, and also something about Nick Varner intentionally moving a ball. Any one here have a handle on this? I saw Wally_in_Cincy or the_Natti or some such /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif over there (and showing remarkable restraint I might add), but anybody else up on that?

Regards &amp; Happy Holidays,

Bob In Cincy <hr /></blockquote>

Howdy Bob,

Some don't like Earl for obvious reasons. They call him "Earl the Girl" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Some don't like Corey for kicking his cue case around after his WPC loss this year.

Some don't like Varner for not calling a foul on himself when he inadvertantly moved the 3-ball.

Now some don't like Charlie. Apparently C.W. was interviewed on live TV the first night when the Euros were up 3-0. He said he was offended by the fact that the Euros were celebrating with a couple of drinks. And Corey said something about being "pissed off" right after that.

Maybe we'll have a clearer picture after watching the highlights Sunday.

Voodoo Daddy
12-28-2002, 10:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Howdy Bob,

Some don't like Earl for obvious reasons. They call him "Earl the Girl" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Some don't like Corey for kicking his cue case around after his WPC loss this year.

Some don't like Varner for not calling a foul on himself when he inadvertantly moved the 3-ball.

Now some don't like Charlie. Apparently C.W. was interviewed on live TV the first night when the Euros were up 3-0. He said he was offended by the fact that the Euros were celebrating with a couple of drinks. And Corey said something about being "pissed off" right after that.

Maybe we'll have a clearer picture after watching the highlights Sunday. <hr /></blockquote>

I love Earl for his fire...obvious devotion to his craft and his patriotism.

Corey is a child still, but there is no excuse for public outbursts.

Nick is a man's man. Calling a foul on himself just proves the mans integrity. He is a true champion.

Charlie Williams is a jerk...plain and simple. I know of a few real creepy things he has done and root against him, Mosconi Cup or not!!

Scott Lee
12-29-2002, 05:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr>
Nick is a man's man. Calling a foul on himself just proves the mans integrity. He is a true champion. <hr /></blockquote>

Steve...Nothing against Nick, but after watching the highlights, Nick did NOT call a foul on himself, when that would have been the 'classy' thing to do. Whether or not he deliberately or unintentionally moved the 3 is up for debate. The 3 would have been an easy combo on the 9, had he not moved it.

Scott

fasteddie
12-29-2002, 05:40 PM
STEVE I SEEN THE NICK FOUL THE 3BALL LIVE ON TV.IT DID GET HIM OUT OF A FIX WITH THE COMBO ON THE 9BALL BUT I FOR ONE AM PREPARED TO GIVE THE GUY THE BENIFIT OF THE DOUBT.MAYBE FOR HIS REPUTATION AS A HALL OF FAMER IT WAS JUST ASWELL HE LOST THE GAME.STILL HE,S A GREAT CHAMP AND I HOPE ITS NOT HELD AGAINST HIM. THATS LIVE POOL FOR YOU LONG MAY IT CONTINUE

9 Ball Girl
12-29-2002, 09:16 PM
Speaking of fouls, I don't think Johnny Archer fouled when he sliced the 3 ball into the corner pocket when the 6 and 3 were kind of close together (the match was being played against Ortman). The replay only confirmed my belief. But, it was the Ref's call.

Scott Lee
12-30-2002, 01:11 AM
Wendy...It was VERY close! LOL There were a lot of really thin cut shots during these matches! Some great execution there!

Scott

Voodoo Daddy
12-30-2002, 04:12 AM
You got me Scott, I should be more awake when I post. Thanks for the point out!!

Wally_in_Cincy
12-30-2002, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Speaking of fouls, I don't think Johnny Archer fouled when he sliced the 3 ball into the corner pocket when the 6 and 3 were kind of close together (the match was being played against Ortman). The replay only confirmed my belief. But, it was the Ref's call. <hr /></blockquote>
That ref had a bad match. That was a bad call against Archer and then he missed the foul by Varner.

I am convinced, by watching Nick's body language, that he moved the 3 ball by accident. I believe the pressure of the situation caused him to not call the foul on himself. BTW did you see Ortmann talking to the ref and pointing to the 3 ball after that shot? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I think the ref was the only person in the arena that didn't see it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
12-30-2002, 08:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Speaking of fouls, I don't think Johnny Archer fouled when he sliced the 3 ball into the corner pocket when the 6 and 3 were kind of close together (the match was being played against Ortman). The replay only confirmed my belief. But, it was the Ref's call. <hr /></blockquote>
Not only was it not a foul, there was no way the ref. could call it one unless he had it in his mind that it would be a foul regardless. And that, IMO, makes for a bad referee.

Fred

cuechick
12-30-2002, 08:56 AM
I am not sure why this post is titled BAD ACTORS? When you make no reference to what you mean by that? If your referring to the preshow, I'd like to say I really enjoyed the little 'espionage' film shot with all the players. Certainly none of these players are giving any Hollywood actors reason to sweat; but it was fun and I thought well done. A nice break form th action and another look at the overall crediablity the sport has in other countries (that they woul dspend the time and money to produce this intro).
&lt;p&gt;
As for the actual coverage it was a bit choppy but the only thing I really hated was the one hyper annoucer who I could hardly understand. His attempt to make the action exciting was so irratating and distracting. I actually muted the TV a few times. In contrast the American annoucer (not sure who that was) was the saving grace.
I thought Charlie came off very arrogant and not a good representative for the US, did Corey ever really say anything? The drama of the event was well captured though, my heart sank when Corey scratched on that 8 ball, I think that turned the match right there.
There is no pressure like team competition, to see the pros make mistakes they would not normally, proves that. IMO there is nothing more exciting to watch either.
The main point, is for ESPN to give pool 3 straight hours is AMAZING and we should all send emails THANKING THEM!!! Serouisly...www.espn.com
Let's keep it coming, maybe next year they will show the Worlds!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
12-30-2002, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr>
...I'd like to say I really enjoyed the little 'espionage' film shot with all the players...

<font color="red"> Yes. Did you hear Steve Davis say "Do I sound like Arnold Schwarzanegger? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

...the only thing I really hated was the one hyper annoucer who I could hardly understand...

<font color="red"> I'm gonna have to start a separate thread on that guy (Sid Waddell) /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

..In contrast the American annoucer (not sure who that was) was the saving grace...
<font color="red">Jim Wych, from Canada, former world-class snooker player. Yes he is very good. He did a couple of WPBA events last year.

Oops, maybe you're talking about the guy with the southern accent, That was Jerry Forsyth, writer for BD.</font color>

we should all send emails THANKING THEM!!! Serouisly...www.espn.com

<font color="red">yup </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
12-30-2002, 09:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cuechick:</font><hr> I am not sure why this post is titled BAD ACTORS? <hr /></blockquote>

I think he meant they were allegedly "acting badly" as in "acting up"

cuechick
12-30-2002, 10:05 AM
I was referring to Jerry but the Canadian was good too. Thank good ness fort the few matches they did with out this other guy.
I also saw the clip of Nick moving the 3 ball, and I have to say though not a foul it does seem like an old school trick and though it may not have been done on purpose he must have known he had done it and did not alert his opponants. Though of course no one can be sure. I did feel when Johnny missed that easy 6 ball in the same rack, I thought it was karma!
I also think it would be more interesting as a scotch doubles format in the doubles...
All that pool sure made me want to go play.
I also taped the 2 Allison matches and do beleive those are great lessons in tecnique!

Rod
12-30-2002, 11:30 AM
Your post fairly well expresses my opinion to. In addition I actually dozed off for about an hour. It was different and I liked the espionage intro. It will get better as it gets refined each year. By all means send an e-mail to ESPN.

Hopster
12-30-2002, 04:46 PM
I think they chopped the matches up terribly, i taped the whole 4 hours yesterday on espn. One minute they are just starting the match, the next its 4-1 for team europe.
Plus that one announcer, a brit, i would have liked to choke the guy. What nonsense and drivel he was spouting, talk about annoying. I watched about 1 1/2 hours so far, if i dont watch the rest, it wont be a loss.

Icon of Sin
12-30-2002, 08:40 PM
i know what you mean about that british announcer, my finacee and i were watching it and that guy was awful, he was throwing way to much excitement into, plus the tonew of his voice would fluctuate high and low along with the volume when the player wasnt even shooting... he was adding excitement to nothing at some points... if all the annoucers for sports in europe are like this it makes me glad i dont live there...

we couldnt stop laughing at him...

jjinfla
12-31-2002, 02:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Speaking of fouls, I don't think Johnny Archer fouled when he sliced the 3 ball into the corner pocket when the 6 and 3 were kind of close together (the match was being played against Ortman). The replay only confirmed my belief. But, it was the Ref's call. <hr /></blockquote>
That ref had a bad match. That was a bad call against Archer and then he missed the foul by Varner.

I am convinced, by watching Nick's body language, that he moved the 3 ball by accident. I believe the pressure of the situation caused him to not call the foul on himself. BTW did you see Ortmann talking to the ref and pointing to the 3 ball after that shot? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I think the ref was the only person in the arena that didn't see it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote> Perhaps the ref didn't miss the movement of the 3 ball and was asking Ortman what his choice was. If they were only playing CB fouls then the opponent has the option of leaving the 3 ball where it is or replacing it. Maybe Ortman just said leave it. Now as for the foul on Archer if you look at the overhead shot after Otman played his safe you will see that the 6 ball is about one whole inch closer to the CB than the 2 ball. This means that if the 6 ball moves at all then it has to be a foul. It has to be hit first since it is closer. And if you really watch their replay you will see that the 6 ball does in fact move first. Jake

wolfsburg2
01-01-2003, 09:35 AM
i thought that that was a good shot on the 3, and it was definately close enough to give the benefit of the doubt. liek baseball tie goes to the runner type of thing. my .02

Ken
01-01-2003, 10:20 AM
The 6 was clearly hit before the cue ball came off the rail. Due to its being closer I agree that it must have been hit first. I don't see any way the cue ball can come off the 2 into the 6 since it's already past the 6 when the 2 is hit. The cue ball would have to hit the 6 on the way out. Since it didn't the call is pretty easy even if it can't be easily seen.
KenCT