PDA

View Full Version : My Big Fat New Ferrule...Stinks

tateuts
12-23-2002, 01:41 PM
I just had a prominent cue maker replace an old Meucci Original (collectible) 1 1/4" ferrule which had a hairline crack. I don't play with this cue regularly, but I like to pick it up once in a while and stroke a few with it. I brought the cue home and the hit was noisy and harsh, particularly with a little draw. This is an unusual Meucci in that it has a nickel joint, but it's always been a sweet hitting stick. It doesn't click like a loose tip or ferrule, but feels and sounds like a rock hard tip. I figured it was just a bad tip, so I replaced it. Now, 4 tips later,including 2 Hercules, a Le Pro, and a Shooters, I realize it must be the ferrule.

I hate to admit it, but I really don't want to say anything or take it back to the cue maker because he's a great guy who does incredible work - a living legend - and he took time out from making $5,000 works of art to work on my shafts.

Does anybody know what happened? Can you recommend a good ferrule? I don't want to send the cue back to Meucci and wait 6 months.

Thanks,

Chris

TonyM
12-23-2002, 01:56 PM
It sounds like he installed a hard thermoset ferrule like LBM or similar rather than the soft Meucci thermoplastic.

My guess is that you are just not used to the sound and feel of the new ferrule material. Some people actually prefer that sort of hit (and to each his own, I'd have to say).

A good replacement for a Meucci ferrule is the MP Ivory Substitute that Atlas Billiard supplies sells. I've used it on many Meucci's and it looks and sounds just like the Meucci material (it might even be the same stuff?).

Have another cuemaker replace your "fancy" ferrule with the low cost MP Ivory substitute and you will get that Meucci hit back again.

Cheers!

Tony

Cueless Joey
12-23-2002, 02:02 PM
I would concur with Tony. Sounds like you do not like the hit and noise of capped melamine ferrule.

Popcorn
12-23-2002, 03:40 PM
Trust me, Trust me, Trust me, the cuemaker would be interested in the problem. The last thing he wants is to have something out there he did that may not be right. Take it back to him. Putting on another ferrule is no big deal to him if that is the problem.

tateuts
12-23-2002, 06:49 PM
It's obvious you guys really know your stuff. I wanted to make sure that you agreed it was the ferrule material that altered the hit of the cue, and what remedies there were available. I will call him first and see if he has time to fix it. Thanks to all!

Chris