PDA

View Full Version : Caring For A Pristene, New Shaft

Sid_Vicious
12-23-2002, 02:23 PM
I bought a new Q recently, it coming with 3 immaculate shafts with that special white complexion. I need to know the nuts and bolts of caring for the shafts to further aid me in NOT gathering color in the wood. I have a friend with a Instroke Cowboy case who bought a new cue a couple of years back and his shafts are not near as "poisoned" as mine.

First, I do relentlessly clean my hands and shaft during a pool venture with a hand towel and also wash up on those "nature calls." I chalk the tip in swiping motions, not grinding a to allow chalk to drift down onto my bridge hand. BUT I can notice the haze of color even at the end of day one of use. Is there a better opportunity to transfer color in the snug tube cases, in contrast to the looser fits like the Cowboy? It really puzzles me why I can see some people who do not gather the color on their shaft wood. If getting a different case would make the difference, then so-be-it.

Thanks in advance...sid

TommyT
12-23-2002, 02:38 PM
Be sure not to use the shaft for gathering balls on the table. Never hit your shaft against balls, they will dent the shaft!!. I know i've done it.
Merry Xmas,
TommyT

Troy
12-24-2002, 09:44 AM
My suggestions :
1. Wipe the shaft during sessions often with a clean, soft cloth.
2. Always clean the tip prior to putting the shaft in your case.
3. Occasionally clean the shaft. I use Simple Green® diluted with two parts water and immediately wipe dry.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I bought a new Q recently, it coming with 3 immaculate shafts with that special white complexion. I need to know the nuts and bolts of caring for the shafts to further aid me in NOT gathering color in the wood. I have a friend with a Instroke Cowboy case who bought a new cue a couple of years back and his shafts are not near as "poisoned" as mine.

First, I do relentlessly clean my hands and shaft during a pool venture with a hand towel and also wash up on those "nature calls." I chalk the tip in swiping motions, not grinding a to allow chalk to drift down onto my bridge hand. BUT I can notice the haze of color even at the end of day one of use. Is there a better opportunity to transfer color in the snug tube cases, in contrast to the looser fits like the Cowboy? It really puzzles me why I can see some people who do not gather the color on their shaft wood. If getting a different case would make the difference, then so-be-it.

Thanks in advance...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara
12-24-2002, 10:32 AM
Sid,

I always wipe down the shafts with a damp paper towel after I use them and then dry them off. I always address any little dings in the shaft as soon as possible. I use a cuetip, wet with water, and I put a drop of water where the ding is. Then, I let the water set in to raise the grain of the wood. When I feel that the grain has raised up enough (because this may take a few tries) I will use a very fine grade of sand paper to smooth it, followed with the Q-wiz or a leather burnisher.

This is what my Cue Man told me to do and there was only one instance where I needed his assistance in getting out a particularly nasty deep ding when I got jammed against a table by a rude player. Whenever I get a tip done he cleans and dresses up the shafts for me, but that's it. He taught me well.

Barbara~~~and they're as smooth as the day I first got them... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
12-24-2002, 01:13 PM
Thanks, I found that I couldn't even hand the cue to a friend(player by my respected opinion) to hit a few balls with. He immediately gathered balls for the next stroke and I cringed a little. Tell me Tommy, what is your ideas on the snug fitting cases opposed to the looser cases(Instroke, Guissepe, etc) concerning the attraction of shaft coloring? Any concern at all???sid

TommyT
12-24-2002, 02:56 PM
I don't think the chalk from any case is the problem. The color on the shaft is a result of playing and chalking. I always wipe my tip on the carpet before putting it away.
Merry Christmas,
TommyT