PDA

View Full Version : Which rules??

12-23-2002, 03:21 PM
I've been searching through all the history here for thoughts on this, but nothing. There's APA leagues/rules & BCA leagues/rules. Fine. The question is this.... when you're playing at home, entertaining or whatever, which set of rules do you play under? Why?

ChrisW
12-23-2002, 03:25 PM
You play by whatever rules you want.

Why? Because its your house.

Barbara
12-23-2002, 03:27 PM
We play by BCA rules.

Why? Because I'M A REF, that's why!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

Sid_Vicious
12-23-2002, 03:40 PM
You gotsta be hospitable though. Would you take the father in law who only plays bar boxes in taverns and kick his butt with BIH rules? Would you murder your nephews with a stern BCA rule set during the holidays? It ain't that cut and dried just being your house...sid

12-23-2002, 03:41 PM
Chris- I understand the option is mine, no one is dictating which to use. The question is which do YOU use?

Rio
12-23-2002, 05:24 PM
I prefer to play by the BCA rules.

Two reasons for my preference: (1) I don't think that making the 8 on the snap should be a win. This is almost always a slop shot, IMO. Also, the APA's provision for winning on the snap is inconsistent with the basic idea of the game--the idea that one earns a shot at the 8 by working one's way through a group of balls. (2) I think that the table should be open after the break. Under the APA rule, the groups are assigned on the basis of chance when a single ball is pocketed on the break--more slop, again IMO. Under the BCA rule, the groups are always selected on the basis of analysis, and correct analysis requires skill.

All a matter of personal taste, of course!

--Rio

randyg
12-23-2002, 06:31 PM
I really don't care what (who's) rules I play as long as I know them up front. I can have fun with any rules. I prefer BCA Rules of course....randyg

=k=
12-24-2002, 07:06 AM
as a host i ask which set of rules they prefer, if they don't care bca rules... one rule i have is not to start play until a set of rules has been declared. ( i have found it easier to play down to speed rather than up to speed) /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

TomBrooklyn
12-25-2002, 02:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> It ain't that cut and dried just being your house. <hr /></blockquote>I laugh at that TV commercial featuring professional basketball players eating chips by dunking them in spectacular athletic fashion in a bowl of dip supported high in the air in a basketball hoop, and one of them brags: "This is MY house", ...and then in deadpan style says, "No really, this IS my house, you guys have to leave". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Lol.

Scott Lee
12-25-2002, 12:52 PM
Amen Randy! I always ASK, "what rules do you want to play by?" If they say 'league rules', I at least know they understand b-i-h! Then I ask, "APA or BCA?" However, like you, I can enjoy playing by ANY rules, as long as we agree up front on what they are! LOL Merry Christmas! About that other thing you emailed me about...please send it again to poolology@aol.com. The attachment wouldn't open on my hotmail address!

Scott