PDA

View Full Version : Adopted Bad Personal Habits Cuz Of PH Visits

Sid_Vicious
12-23-2002, 04:01 PM
Ok, I've developed some semi anti-social habits in the last few years with pool and wondered whether it is time to address them. I never smoked cigarettes as a habit but now find I chew the things like candy when I am in a Sat or Sun jaunt at the pool place, especially if competition is involved. I also see a change in the vulgarity factor, seems like the PH is an allowed place for slinging cuss words whereas I'd bite my tongue otherwise. I won't presume that even a slim portion of y'all bend your personal etiquette differently, but for the ones who do, how does is make you feel when you really think about it? Have you corrected, or accepted the new person? I find that accepting is good for my game BUT is it good for us in the overall scheme of life???sid~~~makes one think

Tom_In_Cincy
12-23-2002, 04:26 PM
It might just be the pool hall you are frequenting.

There isn't that type of problem where I go....

Smoking and cursing are permitted, but neither are abused.

Sid_Vicious
12-23-2002, 05:04 PM
It was not my intention to atmospherically categorize my favorite hangouts as a bad influence. The PHs in general seem to me to almost all be smoking,,,my point is that some people become remodeled at times, and it is something to think about(imo.) Then again it could be all me...sid

#### leonard
12-25-2002, 02:32 PM
Soon NY State poolhalls will be smoke free, I can't wait. It is to keep the workers healthy not the players. I have heard enuff MFs,Fks, etc to last a life time. I keep HBO etc out of the house for the same reason. ####

John G
12-25-2002, 04:47 PM
it's a funny thing about pool. When you're out there trying to make money the image you want to present is of someone who does not frequent PH's. None or at worst a little cussin. But when one gives that up and it becomes fun the PH seems to transform us. I am sure I'm the perfect example, I find myself all to often now saying vulger and downright improper things at the most improper times. I think you hit nail right on the head. I'm so ashamed. LOL
Seriously I do think your right. John G

jjinfla
12-25-2002, 05:25 PM
I used to think that people with a lower intelligence cursed more to fill in the gaps for their limited vocabulary. Then one day I was in a law school cafeteria waiting for my wife and was amazed at the language being used by the so called intelligent ones. I guess it just goes with the peers that you grew up with. Is "My Cousin Vinny" typical of New Yorker's? Jake

12-25-2002, 06:39 PM
Some people are more easily influenced by their environment than others. I think we all are to some degree. I know I am. Not proud of it, just a fact. I think if your new bad habits stay at the pool hall you frequent and don't carry over into the rest of your life, then don't worry about it.

Alfie
12-25-2002, 09:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I used to think that people with a lower intelligence cursed more to fill in the gaps for their limited vocabulary. Then one day I was in a law school cafeteria waiting for my wife and was amazed at the language being used by the so called intelligent ones. <hr /></blockquote> Cursing is indicative of poor breeding. You expected something else at a law school?

Wally_in_Cincy
12-26-2002, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>....I never smoked cigarettes as a habit but now find I chew the things like candy when I am in a Sat or Sun jaunt at the pool place, <hr /></blockquote>

You smoke or you just have an unlit cig hanging?

Personally I cuss a LOT less at the pool hall than I did working in a factory for 15 years /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Just when I miss an important shot. For some reason there are very few foul-mouthed folks at SnookerS in Cincy. It's a nice, clean, well-maintained place. I think that image discourages vulgarity.

Kato
12-26-2002, 03:47 PM
Because of the way people act I tend to be even more polite than my normal politeness. Of course I don't play in a "hard core" pool room per say. No champions, just some C level players for the most part. The less talented, non-gambler types.

Kato

Sid_Vicious
12-26-2002, 08:41 PM
"You smoke or you just have an unlit cig hanging?"

I lite the things. A resolution will be to curb the "new" habit next year, being that I'm basically a newbie to the thing. Another resolution will be to stop making threads about inter personal aspects,,,all PHs are definitely not the same and I, myself should understand more about the appropriate(or lack of) nature to some of my quickly thought up subjects....sid~~~those "cold ones" I had before posting surely didn't have anything to do with it ;-)

Wally_in_Cincy
12-27-2002, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>
I lite the things. A resolution will be to curb the "new" habit next year, being that I'm basically a newbie to the thing..............<hr /></blockquote>

AAAAAaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<font color="red">STOP NOW </font color>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

<font color="blue"> STOP BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE !!!!! </font color>

<font color="brown">TRUST ME YOU DON'T WANNA DO THIS </font color>

<font color="red">I QUIT SMOKING FOR 6 YEARS AND STARTED BACK UP AT AGE 36. DOH !!!!!!!!

DON'T DO IT SID </font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> ~~~those "cold ones" I had before posting surely didn't have anything to do with it ;-) <hr /></blockquote>

PUI ? Been there, got the t-shirt /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Post whatever you want just <font color="red"> DON'T SMOKE </font color>

silverbullet
12-27-2002, 08:17 AM
I do not think ny resolutions to quit anything work. there is no time like the present.

i quit whatever it is on the day that i have the power to do it. if i wait for a certain day, then i am just giving my self permission to be in addiction (no matter how slight) for a few more times and i might not have the power on that certain day.

for me, i never say i am going to quit or try to. i think you do it or dont do it, saying try is an out for failing. also since cigs are an addiction, i do not say i will never smoke. about all i can say is that i did not smoke today.

if i can successful focus on not smoking today then i can string together smoke free days and months.

bw

Wally_in_Cincy
12-27-2002, 09:28 AM
nice try anyway

TomBrooklyn
12-27-2002, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Ok, I've developed some semi anti-social habits in the last few years with pool.<hr /></blockquote>Good thing they took out the spitoons, eh Sid? Lol.

Ross
12-27-2002, 11:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>
Another resolution will be to stop making threads about inter personal aspects,,,all PHs are definitely not the same and I, myself should understand more about the appropriate(or lack of) nature to some of my quickly thought up subjects....sid~~~those "cold ones" I had before posting surely didn't have anything to do with it ;-) <hr /></blockquote>

Sid, don't be so quick to be self-critical of your "interpersonal" posts. Your post "hits home" for me,and, I suspect, others. Especially those who play in the "rougher" halls where there is a lot of gambling.

Until recently one of my jobs was teaching statistics at Duke. I had a lot of students -sometimes 250 in a semester. Inevitably some of them would show up in the somewhat seedy pool hall where I play and gamble. The language and the characters there are pretty rough, and I'm not above following the dictum "when in Rome..." Sometimes I worried a bit about one of my students showing up and observing me when I was gambling and having a few beers, and possibly, talking about the beauty of the barmaid was in a way that I wouldn't in class. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif Usually, I'm usually pretty well-behaved and most of the students I encountered thought it was cool that I played pool. But the worry was sometimes there.

Also, I find I have to be careful to remember that what people talk or joke about at my local pool hall may not be deemed acceptable when out with friends from the non-pool world. For example, race issues are much more freely bandied about at my pool room than in the rest of my world. This is one of the few areas where I find my pool hall environment actually "healthier" than elsewhere. At my room, we have blacks, whites, Asians, and hispanics playing together all of the time. We joke and tease each other and aren't smothered by political correctness and actually become much closer than, say, in my work environment. This is the one area where there seems to be more honesty in the pool room than elsewhere.

Another area where the issues of the pool vs non-pool environments comes up: I am single now and when I meet a woman I might be interested in I find myself wondering what would she think of my pool playing buddies. If I think she would be judgemental of them, it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with her (for being "snooty" and elitist) or with me (for being so accepting of some crass and coarse behavior). And I still have not yet answered that question to my satisfaction.

I think for me, my friends and acquaintance come from such extreme ends of the social/intellectual/economic spectrum (the range goes from academic friends that go to poetry readings to the pool hall character acquaintance who put a switch on his tail-lights so he could turn them off, hit his brakes, and collect an insurance settlement after the inevitable crash!) that I think it is natural that I find myself thinking about which world is more "me". So far, I've concluded only that I enjoy both worlds, even if they don't tend to enjoy each other.

So, keep posting, Sid. It gets me to think about these issues a bit more than I might otherwise. And while this topic may not be as relevant to those who play in more upscale rooms (I play in one of those as well, and the issue doesn't come up much there) I strongly suspect there will be many others who ARE interested in this pool hall habits/enviroment vs. the "real world" topic.

wolfsburg2
12-29-2002, 09:11 AM
i am lucky enough to work at an extremely laid back job where we speak our minds freely. i use vulgarity often, i feel it emphasizes the point i am trying to make, i do acknowledge it is wrong, though. whe shooting pool i use vulgarity often, and smoke.