PDA

View Full Version : 'Splain the shot clock, please

SPetty
12-24-2002, 08:58 AM
Howdy,

I watched the Belinda and Allison match on TV last night, and saw that Belinda got called for the shot clock foul. I've not seen that before.

My understanding of the shot clock was that if you were down on your shot, they wouldn't call the foul unless you readjusted or raised up or something. What I thought I saw was that Belinda was down on her shot for about 3-4 seconds, preparing to "pull the trigger" when the foul was called.

This isn't how I understood the shot clock to work.

Can you please explain what happened and how the shot clock fouls work? Thanks!

Barbara
12-24-2002, 09:03 AM
Well, I guess that the interpretation is up to Steve Tipton. I was also under the impression that if the player was ready to pull the trigger he wouldn't call time, either.

Maybe next time there's a match on tv I'll have a stop watch ready and see if he really clocks the players at 30 seconds.

Barbara

CarolNYC
12-25-2002, 05:26 AM
Hey Barb and Spetty,
Its a time factor-yes-30 sec. to shoot-otherwise extension-so you have to see it and shoot it-very good mentally-the last thing you wantis for a race to 9 to last 5 hours!ha ha ha
Carol~knows of one persons preshot routine to last 10 sec alone!ha ha ha ha

marek
12-25-2002, 05:34 AM
Hi! I can explain this to you as there are some tournaments here where the time referee is called in if the players are too slow. It works like this: after you break the rack you can take your time to watch the layout of the table, the time is not running. after the first shot time starts to run for you as soon as everything on the table stops moving. you have to make your shot within the time limit (mostly 30 seconds here) no matter how you use this time. So if you watch the table for 25 seconds then you left yourself only 5 secs to shoot. Also time referee calls "time" when its 10 secs left. If you dont manage to make your shot in time foul is called.
Hope this helps.
marry christmas

silverbullet
12-25-2002, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Well, I guess that the interpretation is up to Steve Tipton. I was also under the impression that if the player was ready to pull the trigger he wouldn't call time, either.

Maybe next time there's a match on tv I'll have a stop watch ready and see if he really clocks the players at 30 seconds.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

gosh i wish they had a time clock here. my biggest complaint about the apa here, how long a match goes. it is so long, i cannot play anymore cuz of how early i have to get up.

bw

Wally_in_Cincy
12-26-2002, 07:27 AM
I was just reading about that in BD.

Allison said she felt bad about that but, hey, that's the rule. Allison said (paraphrasing): "Maybe they should change the rule to where if you are down on the shot a time foul won't be called." So apparently you have 30 sec. for the cuetip to strike the cueball no matter what.