PDA

View Full Version : Q-Skills or Fargo: Which One Is Better Indicator?

TomBrooklyn
12-25-2002, 01:47 AM
Which game is a better skill indicator? Allen Hopkins' Q-Skills http://billiardsroom2000.freeservers.com/qskill.html or Fargo http://playpool.com/rsbasp/fargo/ (http://playpool.com/rsbasp/fargo/?).

I think Q-Skill is better for lower skilled players because the ability to go into the rotation phase at any time in Fargo is more likely to be utilized as a luck factor when one can see a short sequence early in the rack that they might go for even if they have almost no hope of continuing past it. For better players who are willing to bet more on their ability to gain position and break out clusters, the option is more likely to be chosen based on a realistic hope to continue past any easy rotation part that appears by chance.

I also prefer the Q-Skills feature that balls on the break count. This makes the break part of the skills test, and breaking is an important skill. In Fargo, since you have to spot any balls made on the break if you make 2 or more it forces you to create a cluster on the foot spot: in effect, penalizing you for a good break shot.

-T

Tom_In_Cincy
12-25-2002, 10:04 AM
Happy Holidays Tom

I agree with your statements about the two tests and their results indicator.

Both are good ways to measure the improvement or your game.

silverbullet
12-25-2002, 10:26 AM
I want to start putting this into my practice to gage my improvement. I had just been counting how many balls i potted in a row when all 15 are thrown onto the table.

At one time was up to 7 and now am in a relapse. Boo!!!!!

Anyway, had gotten out of rhythm I am thinking and yesterday just started clicking again .

bw

silverbullet
12-25-2002, 12:27 PM
I tried a couple of Q skill racks. Are combos allowed as long as you call the ball and the pocket?

bw

Rod
12-25-2002, 03:13 PM
Quote TB, I also prefer the Q-Skills feature that balls on the break count. This makes the break part of the skills test, and breaking is an important skill. In Fargo, since you have to spot any balls made on the break if you make 2 or more it forces you to create a cluster on the foot spot: in effect, penalizing you for a good break shot."

Actually Tom a good break in Fargo is not pocketing any balls. That break is very improtant with just enough speed to spread the balls well. The position of the balls in the rack have some improtance on the break and where they end up afterwards. To have a high average in Fargo you need all the advantages available. Sometimes a ball or two at most might go but with BIH on the opening shot that can be easily taken care of.

With either game I don't break to make balls, rather depend on a slower speed and solid hit for a better spread.
Over all I do like Fargo much better. I played in one tournament at PlayPool with an Average of abt 210-213 as I recall. The last week I shot a 225 and you can't do that without a good plan and a good break. Other than that your assessment sounds correct to me.

Alfie
12-25-2002, 08:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> With either game I don't break to make balls, rather depend on a slower speed and solid hit for a better spread. <hr /></blockquote> And by all means, check for a loose rack.

silverbullet
12-26-2002, 03:25 PM
in fargo, do you get bih after the break on each inning?

bw

silverbullet
12-26-2002, 08:17 PM
These tests are kind of interesting. It showed me the difference between putting together a run after a less than perfect break and having to work hard for every drop.Also showed me it is time to start working on shape.

What I was doing, especially when playing a good player was hiding until they split up the balls better and then taking my short run, leaving some on the table on purpose so i could still hide. Well I realized being too defensive a player was one reason I was not winning. Cuz it is all about who puts down that 8, not whether the other person can pot a few balls.

It also forced me to look at shots I dont usually think of like caroms and combos. Even though my score isnt very good yet, at least it was fun and might be a good gage of progress if I do it say once a month.

bw