PDA

View Full Version : Will pool

DEADSTOKE32
12-25-2002, 02:24 PM
Will pool ever make it big in the world of sports .Or will it just be a game,never a sport..plaese fell free . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif2 voice your true feelings...

Tom_In_Cincy
12-25-2002, 03:29 PM
As long as there is more money to be made by advertizing for televised sports events like MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, Tennis, GOLF, Ice Skating, Power Pull Trucking, Wrestling and the X-Games.. why would anyone be interested in POOL?

cheesemouse
12-25-2002, 05:03 PM
I don't think pool is ready for primetime but one would think that with all the cable network channels availible out there that one of them would have taken a shot at the pool nitch market and offered something to us starving pool fans on a regular basis. I mean even if they had to offer local/reginal events we would watch. Hell, I'll watch anybody play the damn game. You'd just think there is some market out there.

12-25-2002, 06:09 PM
ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN NEWS, ESPN CLASSIC,...ESPN BILLIARDS? What a wonderful world it would be. However, I agree with one of the previous posts. Until someone finds a way to make some SERIOUS coin off of it, billiars will remain on latenight ESPN. Oh well, I'm a night owl anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bigbro6060
12-25-2002, 09:58 PM
i'm actually amazed at the pathetic level of prizemoney in Pool and the coverage in the US

Compare this with the coverage and stature of Snooker on the UK. The Snooker world champs have something like 17 hours of coverage a day and rates very highly ! the prize money is very high, the top snooker players are serious stars, are millionaries and they get the chicks and everything.

Matchroom sports does a lot to promote all cue sports in the UK

i don't think any broadcasting company has put the same effort into Pool in the US. I'm sure it's possible. Just needs to be promoted as a hip young sexier sport. it is important to have young stars at the top. Earl, whilst a great player, has the charisma and likeability of a stale donut. Snooker has bright young stars like Ronnie o Sullivan, Paul Hunter, Mark williams and guys like Jimmy White and Steve davis who are very likeable are still around.

12-25-2002, 10:19 PM
ESPN has been a great supporter of pool, which consistently gets the highest ratings of any non-major sport on TV. But this is probably largely due to the fact that all the pool-starved fanatics (like me) will watch it even if it's on at 2:00 a.m. The women have made great strides organizing and marketing their tour in recent years. Pity the men can't (won't) organize themselves. There was a time when Ralph Greenleaf shared the sports headlines in this country along side names like Ruth and Gehrig. While I don't expect to see this stature for pool in my lifetime, a focused marketing effort by a UNIFIED professional tour could certainly gain the required sponsorship for significantly more prize money and recognition. Maybe this will happen eventually.

Jon from MN
12-25-2002, 11:06 PM
Actualy we are closer than you think. Pepsi is ready to help out and espn is telivising 3 hours of pool sunday. I think if it works out with pepsi than other major sponsors will jump aboard. Jon from mn

snipershot
12-31-2002, 11:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DEADSTOKE32:</font><hr> Will pool ever make it big in the world of sports .Or will it just be a game,never a sport..plaese fell free . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif2 voice your true feelings... <hr /></blockquote>

First off, pool isn't a game, it's a sport or at least most people consider it to be a sport. In order for pool to have any chance at growing in the sport world it is going to need more media attention. To the average person pool is non-existent because it doesn't receive the media coverage of football or the other mainstream sports. If pool was to be on pool more often the public would have greater knowledge and more access to the game which would hopefully get alot more people intersted in the game.

landshark1002000
01-02-2003, 02:48 AM
Pool in the UK is a great success. Pool in the US is not.
So I believe in the great potential of American pool.
Personally, I believe the potential of pool in America is being stunted by a foolish public relations campaign. The fear of some, that pool is a "moral" problem has been recently revived.
Read the introduction to Robert Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards. Byrne often (hilariously) quotes American pool books from the 19th century. He makes us laugh at the pool industry hacks and hucksters of the day.
In order to expand their market (circa 1881), the manufacturers decide to attack the popularity of tavern pool.Among others, they hire a hack called, Dr. Marcy. His snake oil claims sound hilarious today.
Buying a home pool table is..."One of the pleasantest and easiest means of REGAINING and RETAINING health... a means of DAILY EXERCISE... even the most INDOLENT and STUPID... will soon acquire a fondness for the game... (leading to an)... improvement in the SANITARY condition of those who habitually indulge in it (pool)". --"We also advocate the game of billiards in families from a MORAL as well as SANITARY point of view. Young America is naturally "frisky"... Give them a billiard table so that... the attractions ... of home will be superior to those beyond it's boundaries".
This slam at the moral nastiness of pool outside the home is obvious. But the PR campaign never eliminated the playing of pool in bars.
The competition for scarce pool dollars by the manufacturers and the taverns still exists today. I think this campaign to "clean up the reputation" of pool is an outright sham. And its simply a rewrite of the table manufacturer's original, late 19th century public relations campaign. Read Byrnes brief, three page introduction for yourself.
In my view, the fight for the lion's share of the American market will most likely continue to hamper and weaken attempts at consolidation by the game's players and their organizations until the industry ultimately gains control. The Olympics are more likely to financially benefit the industry rather than the fans or the players. When management gains ownership of pool's main sources of income then the pros will become employees and the fans will be the game's customers. Perhaps the future of pool in the US will mirror baseball, basketball and football today.

#### leonard
01-02-2003, 01:29 PM
I read a post on a Golf site that when Greenleaf was Champion pool was larger than Golf. In fact Golf Pros weren't allowed into the clubhouse until 1920 at a tournament in Clevland. The pro golfers gave a plaque to the Country Club for breaking tradition. Pool has been going downhill ever since Ralph.####