PDA

View Full Version : Elbow & Wrist Aching?

Sid_Vicious
12-25-2002, 05:30 PM
The past several days I have played a LOT of pool, one day from 1PM till 2AM and now I find that when I push my 50yr young body out of bed in the AM that my stroking arm really barks at me. The elbow on the inside and the wrist around the thumb and ligament area major hurts, and then wanes in time but does not go entirely away. I can imagine that tunnel-carpel junk, or maybe that I don't know my physical limitations of this pool adiction. Being that I am basically atheletic to "some" degree, I wanted to get feedback on y'all on whether I need to cool off with "the fever" I have recently been putting into my game or just play through. I feel that I am playing better these last few days, and yet it does remind me in the morning what I did the night before. Thanks in advance...sid

cheesemouse
12-25-2002, 06:13 PM
Sid,
I'm 56 and I had to give up my highschool break a few years ago because of the strange pain I get in the middle of the left side of my back that is the result of nuking the rack. Every year I stop playing pool for some months in order to play golf for the summer and when I come back to pool I suffer for weeks just building back up the pool muscles that have languished. Sometimes after a weekend pool tournament(including Friday) I will get up on Monday and just stand there next to the bed wondering if I got into a fight or something. It's the pits getting old in the body and having an adolescent mind. The young bucks don't know what the hell were talking about but they will.....heheheheh...... LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12-25-2002, 06:32 PM
Sid... just wondering does your elbow swell, feel stiff, or just generally ache? Does it act up only as a result of marathon pool or is there pain present on regular days as well? Did you ever injur that elbow?

John G
12-25-2002, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sid,
I'm 56 and I had to give up my highschool break a few years ago because of the strange pain I get in the middle of the left side of my back that is the result of nuking the rack. Every year I stop playing pool for some months in order to play golf for the summer and when I come back to pool I suffer for weeks just building back up the pool muscles that have languished. Sometimes after a weekend pool tournament(including Friday) I will get up on Monday and just stand there next to the bed wondering if I got into a fight or something. It's the pits getting old in the body and having an adolescent mind. The young bucks don't know what the hell were talking about but they will.....heheheheh...... LOL <hr /></blockquote>

I got a kick out of what you said about breaking. It's downright amazing the places a body can hurt in from JUST playing pool. I've rolled over a few times after a 2 day tourny and felt like I'd been run over. About 5 hours and I'm spent. I guess age does that. I particularly liked what you said about the young bucks. Hehehehe. take care

Rod
12-26-2002, 12:59 AM
Sid, unless you have a muscle condition or arthritis I'd be inclined to link it back to grip pressure. Notice when gripping the cue, if your thumb and index finger use any amout of force it will tighten both muscles along both sides of your front lower arm. Both of them lead to the elbow on each side of the center. From there it works the triceps to a deree. It's not uncommon for people to get sore in that area for that reason. I'd suggest you observe if that is happening. A grip can be light to start back but it can and does increase for the majority of players when the cue starts forward. I'm not saying for sure this is the problem but it sure smells that way. Since this effects probably over 80 percent of the people that play. It just happens they all don't get sore. Just a thought for ya.

Sid_Vicious
12-26-2002, 09:14 PM
"just wondering does your elbow swel feel stiff, or just generally ache? Does it act up only as a result of marathon pool or is there pain present on regular days as well? Did you ever injur that elbow?"

It aches, does not swell, and even limits the way I normally lift common things which normally cause no sensations of tenderness. Yes, it is much more active after several days of playing, and a 12 hour day really has me working to push myself up from a night's sleep in a morning after. I've only played at home for 2 days now and it seems almost gone. One thing I have noticed is that my stroke is better, and I wonder if that's due to me babying shots I'd normally be hammering harder. All in all I may just be working newly found regions of my anatomy after some stroke refinement. Or maybe I am only getting age'ed...sid~~~never injured this side of the upper body

Sid_Vicious
12-26-2002, 09:18 PM
"Sometimes after a weekend pool tournament(including Friday) I will get up on Monday and just stand there next to the bed wondering if I got into a fight or something."

That's the full picture, thanks...sid

snipershot
01-01-2003, 02:53 AM
no pain, no game, keep playing! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif