PDA

View Full Version : Make 'em shoot it, or just rack 'em?

sack316
12-26-2002, 03:10 AM
just curious on how y'all feel on this:
9 ball game, and you give the oppenet ball in hand on the 9. Do you generally make them shoot it or give it to them? Generally I feel always make them shoot it, and thats what alot of people say as well, but in league I would feel bad doing it when my oppenent gives it to me. So often times to do give it to them in that case. Most of the time I see people just giving it to them anyway. Is this stupid, or is there some unwritten rule that I don't know about?

nAz
12-26-2002, 03:28 AM
I give it to them if its B.I.N. because im so pissed that i scratched that i just want to get it over with so i can win the next game.

CarolNYC
12-26-2002, 04:23 AM
Make them shoot it-from experience,it is no disrespect-as far as my own league rule, their is no concede!Just as for instance, at a NEWT tournament(also no concede) in lancaster, I shot the nine and it hung in the pocket down table, cueball was up table,deadstraight on rail to 9-ball-opponent looks at me as if "Do I have to shoot this" I just sat there waiting-she shoots,follows cueball right in-SCRATCH-takes 9,puts on spot-I shoot it in! And also, there have been some times I neglected to chalk up and had BIH and miscued-so you never know! Just my opinion!Rich R has been there and seen it!UGH! never again!ha ha ha
Carol:)

bigbro6060
12-26-2002, 06:14 AM
make em shoot for sure

Doctor_D
12-26-2002, 08:30 AM
Good morning:

I always have them shoot the 9 Ball with Ball in Hand. And, in one match where the 9 Ball had been previously spoted on the foot spot, she missed pocketing the ball even with Ball in Hand.

Dr. D.

9 Ball Girl
12-26-2002, 08:58 AM
Make them shoot it. I've seen people concede a game when their opponent has the 7, 8, 9 left! I don't care what level the person is at, make them shoot! And, just because my opponent "gives" me the courtesy to not shoot a BIH 9 ball, I don't think twice of making them shoot it. I've seen players argue about this. One feels that if he's giving courtesy to the other then the other guy should reciprocate. To hell with that!

Same thing goes for BIH 8 ball.

SPetty
12-26-2002, 09:07 AM
If you feel at all "bad" about making them shoot it, rephrase it in your mind that you're "allowing" them the courtesy of shooting it.

I've heard that it's one type of sharking technique to not allow (make) the opponent to shoot the nine ball when it's easy. Then, when it's harder, they get all freaked out because they haven't shot at the nine in awhile. "Freaked out" is an exaggeration, but you get the point.

Rich R.
12-26-2002, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Rich R has been there and seen it!UGH! never again!ha ha ha
Carol:) <hr /></blockquote>
That looks like a New Year's resolution to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I agree. Make them shoot it.

Ward
12-26-2002, 10:05 AM
If you are playing Texas Express rules and you concede the 9Ball you not only lose that game but the next game as well.. so I make them shoot it.

Later
Ward

Karatemom
12-26-2002, 10:39 AM
I agree with you all the way. I always make my opponent shoot it. Just because your opponent doesn't make you shoot the last ball does not mean that you must follow suit. You never know what will happen, no matter how good they are. I get so mad at C.C. for doing it, but you can't teach an old dog new tricks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I like to think that their "sharking teachnique" has been subjected to a little reverse psychology. If they've given me a few games without having to shoot the last ball in, and now it's their turn to shoot the last ball, I don't even think twice about making them shoot it. I feel like they think I'll give it to them, but when I don't, they get "sharked".

You're right on the sharking technique, too. Players get a little more nervous, and maybe start thinking to themselves, "he didn't make me shoot the last ones, why this one? Is it any harder than the others?" Most of the time, they'll end up missing the shot.

Heide

Wally_in_Cincy
12-26-2002, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> I agree with you all the way. I always make my opponent shoot it. Just because your opponent doesn't make you shoot the last ball does not mean that you must follow suit. You never know what will happen, no matter how good they are....... <hr /></blockquote>

Heide,

This is something I've always found curious about 9-ballers. The "concession" thing. Sid Vicious has complained repeatedly about choking on the 9-ball and I'm thinking "Heck you guys hardly ever shoot at a 9-ball in a friendly game so how could you possibly pocket one in an important match?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry to use you as an example Sid old buddy, that just happened to pop into my mind.

12-26-2002, 11:41 AM
Make 'em shoot! I went to a pro tournament in Nash.,Tn. and was watching the match between Claude Bernatchez and David Howard. In the hill-hill match Berntchez makes the 9 ball but scratches. He then spots the 9 ball and Howard places the CB to pocket the 9 but just as he hit the CB the 9 settled into the spot divot and he misses the 9. In any meaningful game ask them to shoot!

nAz
12-26-2002, 12:25 PM
You know i guess its true i can see a good player miss BIH on the 9B. it might only happen 1 out 50 times. but again i rather get it over with and start a new game.

Troy
12-26-2002, 09:06 PM
Not only is conceding a sharking technique, but I understand some Pro level tournaments penalize the conceding player a game effectively making it a two game concession.

Troy

CarolNYC
12-27-2002, 03:22 AM
Yep,Yep,
And you know those cell phones(beepere)-well,they had better be shut off and far away-one ringy dingy and you lose that game-two ringy dingy's and you just lost that match!:)
Carol~let ONE person slide for phone ringing!Can do NO more!

snipershot
12-29-2002, 03:17 AM
You should always make them shoot it, anything can happen and alot of things can go wrong, i've seen it first hand and so has everybody else. It is the easy straight in shot when you tend to lose focus or become careless.

P.S. NEVER SAY DIE!

wolfsburg2
12-29-2002, 08:38 AM
if i am shooting with a friend who is better than me, then i won't make them shoot, if it's my friends that can't shoot, i make em shoot it. depending on mood and importance of the game of course.

Icon of Sin
12-29-2002, 09:06 AM
to me it depends on where the 9-ball is, if its jawed in a pocket or inches or 2 away or somthing like that i wont make them shoot it

now in a tournament I would always make them shoot it.

playing someone for money, it depends how well i know the guy shooting and position of the 9-ball and what the shot looks like

playing for fun same as the last one

playing on normal league nite, depends on the shot only. if the ball is in the jaws of a pocket, i'll just rack-em.

although it is not disrespecctful to make them shoot it, it is respectfull to not make them shoot it (kinda hard to explain where im coming from on this), its kinda like a middle of the match handshake.