PDA

View Full Version : graphite cue?

12-27-2002, 06:54 AM
hello all. im quite new to this site... happened to stumble across it today. i consider myself a total pool newb, altho i have been playing frequently for the past year in my university pool room.

i have come to the point where i need to purchase a pool cue. i have looked at past posts in the archives about first cue recommendations, but i have not found any information regarding graphite coated cues. personally, i am looking for a cue that will last a long time w/o warping, yet will provide decent playability so that as my skills increase, the cue will not hold me back. durability is more of a concern because i dont intend on purchasing another pool cue for a looooong time. 2-piece is a must. as a college student i cannot afford to spend too much on a pool cue... im looking in the price range of anything below $80, maybe 90 for pool cue (no more than $100 for a pool cue and case combined). on ebay, im looking at "EARL STRICKLAND GRAPHITE CUE WITH CASE" so far at $60, and "Eliminator Graphite 587 Pool Cue Stick w/ case - New!" for $80. i like the solid black color, but if "regular" sticks will be better, then please tell me.

would you guys recommend these graphite cues, or should i go with a different variety of pool sticks?

thanx a lot for reading/replying... i really appreciate it.

Kato
12-27-2002, 07:08 AM
I can't in good conscience recommend a graphite cue. I think you'll find most of us are in agreement on maple shafts. I really think you should keep looking. There are deals out there.

Kato

cheesemouse
12-27-2002, 07:54 AM
Blah,
I'm on my knees....don't let a graphite cue be your first stick. There is absolutely nothing wrong starting out with a low end sneakypete for good ball striking. If looks are important your on your own and the sky is the limit...

silverbullet
12-27-2002, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> Blah,
I'm on my knees....don't let a graphite cue be your first stick. There is absolutely nothing wrong starting out with a low end sneakypete for good ball striking. If looks are important your on your own and the sky is the limit... <hr /></blockquote>

ditto. go with a sneaky pete. preditor's sneaky pete is too pricy for what you want to spend but i think there are other companies that make them in your range. i do not know all of the different ones but some folks on here will know based on personal experience, which ones delivered a nice hit.

bw

Rich R.
12-27-2002, 08:40 AM
Blah, I have to agree with Kato and Cheese. Please do not buy a graphite cue. Find a good quality, inexpensive cue with a maple shaft. If you continue to play, you will thank us all later, with an adult beverage. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If you take good care of it, it will last a very long time. I have one cue that is more than 30 years old and is just fine.

Of course, if you plan on throwing your cue in the trunk of your car for months at a time, buy whatever you want. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

silverbullet
12-27-2002, 08:42 AM
here is a link to 2 sneaky petes. i do not know anything about them. they were on meuller's site which typically has pretty good stuff.

http://www.poolndarts.com/store.cfm?cat=37

bw

MarkUrsel
12-27-2002, 08:42 AM
Biggest problem I've seen with graphite or fiberglass clad shafts are that they get sticky. They don't absorb sweat or oil from your hands, so you're forever wiping them off and breaking out the baby powder. My .02 is that you should look at perhaps a McDermott G2 series or a low-end Viking or Falcon. A decent maple cue isn't going to warp on you unless you're storing it in your car. On black leather seats. Parked outside on a sunny day. A hot sunny day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
12-27-2002, 10:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MarkUrsel:</font><hr> Biggest problem I've seen with graphite or fiberglass clad shafts are that they get sticky. <hr /></blockquote>
I got a chance to stroke with a Cuetec with SST shaft. It wasn't sticky. I think that if Cuetec had come out with this shaft first, they'd have a bigger following among seasoned players.

Fred

Kato
12-27-2002, 10:15 AM
I have a Cuetec jump/break that has one of those wood shafts with the fiberglass coating stuff on it. Never bothered to wipe it off. Before I put the phenolic tip on it the cue actually played pretty darned good.

Kato~~~still likes maple.

Ralph S.
12-27-2002, 10:25 AM
If you can swing it, a really good cue for the money that plays very well, looks nice and is extremely durable would be something out of the Genuine line by McDermott. I personally have used and owned one and a friend of mine bought it from me 2 years later. He still uses it every day. I think they are about $125.00 in price. They do not come with case. You can get an inexpensive case from Wal-Mart or K-Mart for around 10 dollars. Hope this helps. Oh yeah, STAY AWAY FROM THE GRAPHITE!!!!!!!!
Ralph S.

Scott Lee
12-27-2002, 12:07 PM
blah...I have to disagree with most of the posts here.
I have sold dozens of the "earl strickland" Cue Tecs, and I think they are perfectly fine for what you're looking for. The argument about the fiberglass coating on the shaft is legit, if your hands sweat a lot. The solution is a pool glove (less than $10). Earl Strickland and Alison Fisher both use standard Cue Tec cues. Now, as you know, a player can play with anything, and yes, they are being PAID to play with them. However, $$$ aside...if they really played that bad, they wouldn't use them. The Cue Tec cues will definitely resist warping, and you cannot dent the shafts, even if you bang them hard on the table. I saw a guy last week using one of the original prototype Cue Tecs. It was 12-14 yrs old, and still played fine. I agree with the assessment that the 'SST' shafts are better, but you probably won't find one of those unless you buy new. You can purchase a new Cue Tec for under $150 retail...and half of that, if you can find someone who has access to Cuestix, or another of the big wholesalers. BTW...I do NOT like the 'all fiberglass' shafts (like the Imperial Eliminator). JMO

Scott Lee

Perk
12-27-2002, 01:07 PM
I will stick with my pred...but:

I have shot with a friends cuetec many times. We used to beat the hell out of it. Break like animals, jump like kangaroos, and massae like you wouldnt believe (practise that is). His cue never warped, never dinged, and shot pretty well for the price he paid. It became the greatest cue to bring into a bar for us. We didnt have to worry about it getting stolen, damaged, and it even got us a few "cheap" games.

For most, you cant go wrong with a cuetec! I like the feel of maple though!

12-27-2002, 02:16 PM
ok... i see. so you guys do not recommend graphite as a whole... hehe. i'm glad i didnt buy the $90 one at sport challet /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

a lot of you mentioned 'sneaky pete' cues. is this cue made by a certain company?

also, is there a specific cue that you guys can recommend, with a maple shaft? like, a name, or company, or brand... anything like that?

oh yeah, and thanks to all who replied so quickly! lol =) over 11 replies by the time i woke up this morning.

Candyman
12-27-2002, 02:20 PM
i am a 60 year old newby and quit drinking about 6 months ago. there isn't much to do around a sports bar if you don't drink, so i took up pool. i wasn't very good at first, but i new i had found a new passion. i played with the house sticks for the first few months and got pretty bummed out. having read alot on the discussion forums, i realized i didn't need to invest a ton on a cue 'til got more experience. i purchased a $35.00 "PLAYERS" sneaky pete and it is a terrific starter stick. i spent another $70.00 on Byrnes vol1 &amp; 2, and The Monks 1 &amp; 2 tapes. between the cue and the tapes i have made vast improvements. although i don't know anything about graphite, i think a maple cue is the way to go. Candyman

12-27-2002, 02:22 PM
silverbullet- or rather, anyone- do you know the difference between the 20-156 and the 20-720, other than the price?

Kato
12-27-2002, 03:48 PM
I have a couple of Predator sneaky's, an SP &amp; SLP, but those are out of your price range. Somebody else mentioned Players, I've never shot with one but I here it's a good playing cue for the bucks.

Kato

silverbullet
12-27-2002, 06:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote blah909:</font><hr> silverbullet- or rather, anyone- do you know the difference between the 20-156 and the 20-720, other than the price? <hr /></blockquote>

no. i have only played with the predator sneaky pete. just about every good cue company has one. i dont remember where i saw it but seems somebody decent was selling them for around $60. Wish I could remember who but I dont.

bw

12-27-2002, 06:57 PM
I am also a newbie, really just started playing about a month ago. My wife and I fell in love with playing pool and a couple days after we started decided we wanted our own cues. We both bought low end Viking cues. They where just over $100 each (I think they start at $112 from Muellers which is where we bought ours) We pretty much go to the pool hall every day now and play for at least a few hours every time we go. We are both very happy with our Viking cues. I like the feel of the maple shaft a lot better the the Cuetecs I tried and they seem to play wonderfully for us. It's a little more then you wanted to spend, but not by much. As a college student myself I know money is tight, but wait till you can afford something like this (Viking or I'm sure the lower end McDermotts are about the same) and you will be much happier in the long run IMHO.

Then again, I've only been playing for a month so what do I know? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
12-28-2002, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote blah909:</font><hr>

.....a lot of you mentioned 'sneaky pete' cues. is this cue made by a certain company?.....<hr /></blockquote>

"Sneaky Pete" is a generic term for a cue that, when screwed together, looks like a regular bar cue. Here's a link:

http://www.hawleys.com/index2.htm

Just about every cue company makes them. Dufferin makes a good one for a very reasonable price. I had a Mali I liked (about $70) but I had to sacrifice it to the pool gods /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif and I can't find them on the net anymore. Do a yahoo search for "sneaky pete cue" and that will get you started.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-28-2002, 10:44 AM
as usual I second the nomination for Viking or McDermott.

rackmup
12-28-2002, 11:00 AM
Graphite cues, when coupled with the proper eyelets and a good baitcasting reel, make excellent 'flipping sticks' for pulling 10-plus pound largemouth bass out of deep cover.

griffith_d
12-28-2002, 11:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> Graphite cues, when coupled with the proper eyelets and a good baitcasting reel, make excellent 'flipping sticks' for pulling 10-plus pound largemouth bass out of deep cover. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with rackmup,...put a good 6500C with 20 lb test and go catch some Trout or Redfish from the Galveston Jetties with the new rod,...make sure you get the Titanium eyelets,...they will out last the Cuetec.

Griff

CarolNYC
12-29-2002, 05:23 AM
Hi there,
I use the Eliminator graphite cue to BREAK only-I have a predator break cue-not use to it yet,also have Meucci,viking,Joss and Helmstetter-I shoot with Helmstetter-predator shafts for some of them-I wouldnt use a graphite cue to shooot with-Just my opinion!
Good luck!
Carol

Icon of Sin
12-29-2002, 06:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Somebody else mentioned Players, I've never shot with one but I here it's a good playing cue for the bucks.
<hr /></blockquote>

I actually use my graphite now for breaking and I shoot with a players cues (wood) that I just got for xmas. I love this cue, but come february im picking up a balabushka gb-1 and the players cue will be the breaker...

but i recommend the players cue for a newbie, its a fantastic quality at a fantastic price...

www.hawleys.com (http://www.hawleys.com) has some great players cues for great prices... check them out, for the price you would be surprised at the great quality.

wolfsburg2
12-29-2002, 10:58 AM
i have been playing pool for about a year, and after about 2 months i realized that i needed my own cue. i bought a valley sneaky pete for about $75, and a hard case for $15. i am not responsible with my cue, i leave it in the car, all the time, etc. it still hits straight. i have since gotten a better(triangle i think) tip put on it.

a friend of mine bought a graphite cue and was forever wiping it down. it got to the point where he stopped bringing his cue, and just shoots with mine whenever we're out. and his graphite cue cost the same 75-100 bucks as mine.

my main reason for going with a sneaky pete, was not to look like a total dousche when i sucked with my own cue. i am now to the point where i can run the occasional rack of 8 ball in a bar, and i am thinking about a new cue, and using my valley as a break cue. i am looking a joss, viking, meucci(sp).

CarolNYC
12-29-2002, 11:48 AM
Hi there,
Good luck with that new Xmas cue-way to go!
Carol:)

12-29-2002, 12:37 PM
Never really experimented with graphite but I play with a McDermott and, I have to say, I love the feel of the wood.

I noticed two different people posted links to hawleys.com. Check it out! Great company. Great website.

Icon of Sin
12-29-2002, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi there,
Good luck with that new Xmas cue-way to go!
Carol:)
<hr /></blockquote>

thanks Carol,

its been good to me so far, fortunately when my fiancee pciked it up I was there and picked it out and where I go for my needs (besides online) they let you shoot with them and get a feel for them before you buy them. she felt good so my fiancee bought her and I have been playing with her since xmas and she is way better then the graphite. cant wait till february though when I get my balabushka gb-1 /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

my graphite is now my breaker instead of a house cue and that is one thing they are great for. I know about 5 other guys on my league that use one as a breaker and they all love them for that. but as for a playing cue, i dont think i'll go back to a graphite...

SPetty
12-29-2002, 06:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr> my main reason for going with a sneaky pete, was not to look like a total dousche when i sucked with my own cue. <hr /></blockquote>huh?

Icon of Sin
12-30-2002, 08:34 PM
I think he meant this as...

they will think he is using a house cue and his inexperience will be easier accepted rather then going out their with a loaded weapon and shooting himself in the foot if you catch my drift...

not saying your inexperienced, just trying to make the point clear...

Hopster
12-30-2002, 08:46 PM
A few guys made reference to sneaky pete cues. Anyone have any experience with the Shmelke model sneaky pete ? I am considering ordering one from billiard warehouse.com.
A few guys told me the price is right so take a shot at it.
Just seeing if i can get any extra input here.

wolfsburg2
01-01-2003, 09:41 AM
exactly.it just keeps the negative attention away. also i do not like to play for money because i feel that i am not ready yet, and a big flashy cue is just asking for it imo.

that said my next cue will probably be a much nicer cue, with a little bit of flash, but mainly because i think i have outgrown mine a little, i want to get a 20-21oz as opposed to my current 19oz. also my valley cue is ever so slightly warped from me leaving it in the car and breaking with it. i will definately use it as my break cue.

Predator
01-01-2003, 12:54 PM
The few shots I've shot with a graphite cue just wasn't the same as maple. Just the cold feeling of the graphite in my hands, in a way, "sharked" me when I was shooting. I guess it would take a bit of getting used to, but, I'm sure if you got used to the feeling of the graphite in your hands, rather than the wood, it could play fine. I actually haven't shot with one enough times to make a fair judgement, but, I will say it shoots nothing like my Predator. I think I'll just tough it out with the Predator. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif