PDA

View Full Version : Odd Pool Injuries - Revisited

Fred Agnir
12-27-2002, 09:08 AM
I was told this story yesterday. Hold on to your hat.

One of the better players in my area grew up on pool in the era of Mike Sigel's bend-the-stick break. He still does this today, and manages to break a shaft or butt every other year or so.

Well, on a break this year, he followed through such that the joint went all the way to his bridge hand . The bending action he does separated the joint slightly, and the web of his thumb/forefinger slid right into the gap. Upon releasing the cue, the joint snapped back together trapping the webbing. With only one hand to work with, he couldn't get the cuestick apart while he writhed in agony on the bar floor, screaming right from the center of his bones.

Someone was able to jump to his rescue and unscrew the stick. Minimal damage to his hand. Slight damage to the stick. Lots of damage to his ego.

Fred

Jon from MN
12-27-2002, 09:42 AM
I blew my shoulder out breaking that way 2 years ago and had to go through therapy. Now I break a lot softer without the extreme follow through and with great results.~~ Jon from Mn~~

snipershot
12-29-2002, 03:06 AM
that's pretty odd, i've never heard of anyone suffering an injury pool related. come to think of it that would be pretty hilarious to see in person!

Icon of Sin
12-29-2002, 07:32 AM
think everyone knows one of these guys but...

a friend of mine was standing behind the rack when one of the power breakers on our team stepped up to break, well, he mis-cues and lofted the cueball right off the table and it hit my friend in the nose, a lot of blood but he was lucky that the only thing that was broke that nite were a few other racks and not his nose...

Icon of Sin
12-29-2002, 07:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
come to think of it that would be pretty hilarious to see in person!
<hr /></blockquote>

thats a little mean isnt it? but your right, i dont think i would be able to stop laughing, kinda like breaking your foot when putting or hurting you hand when you have a free throw...

not saying that these injuries are funny, its not good to see anyone get hurt, but I think it would be rather humorous to see a pool injury, it was when my friend almost had his nose broke, he even laughed about it (not at first, but like an hour later)

jjinfla
12-29-2002, 07:49 AM
Saw a guy break and the CB flew off the table like a rocket over that table, and over the table in the next row and struck a man, standing next to me, in the head. A lot of blood, but he was okay. The guy that did it thought it was funny as hell. Jake

cheesemouse
12-29-2002, 08:14 AM
There is one common injury that nearly 100% of the male pool players have suffered more than once. It is a sensitive subject but I know all of you boys know what injury I'm talking about... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Icon of Sin
12-29-2002, 08:16 AM
nothing worse then a shot to the pills /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jon from MN
12-29-2002, 08:47 AM
Have you heard about pichers elbow? I have been playing pool for 39 years the doc told me that i have pichers elbow its wore out from playing pool and it isnt funny I could have surgery but Im not I just play in pain. Jon from MN

12-29-2002, 12:54 PM
Hit my brother in the stones once with a miscue. Pretty damn funny.

Buddy of mine jumped the rack on a break and broke a beer bottle behind the table.

Lots of shoulder injuries over the years. Both shoulder joints have gotten pretty loose. Dislocated my left shoulder at the driving range once. Good thing there weren't to many people there to watch me beat my arm back into the socket.