PDA

View Full Version : About BCA Lessons

Fred Agnir
12-27-2002, 10:07 AM
I don't want to sound like a cheerleader or a BCA-Instructor groupie, but I wanted to revisit the merits of BCA Instruction.

It is often said on boards like this that if you take a break from the game, often times when you come back from, say, a two or three week vacation, that you might play better than before the break. I personally think this is a slippery slope, as the conclusion might be misleading. The idea is that you may have been falling into some poor habits, and that the break may have allowed you to rid yourself of those poor habits.

With me, I must keep playing or else I can't keep my level up. Much of that has less to do with shotmaking, and more to do with patterns, cueball movement and speed control. If, for some reason, I'm forced away from a daily pool playing regimen, it used to be a mystery for me to remember how to play. It'd take a few hours of banging away until my body remembered how to fall into place.

However, one of the things that BCA Instruction teaches is that in order to gain consistency, you have to have a baseline or reference to compare, a checklist of stroke motions, if you will. In that way, remembering how to play after a layoff becomes more organized with a recognizable goal, rather than just hitting them by rote until you remember what you're doing.

That's what I was talking about when I said that I got down to some serious set-pause-finish practice. I had been away from my daily pool playing, and needed to check where my stroke was and where it needed to be.

So... get thee to a BCA Instructor. Define a baseline. Gain consistency. It beats flailing away when your stroke starts to go downhill.

Fred

Scott Lee
12-27-2002, 12:13 PM
Fred...Amen to that! LOL One precaution...any first lesson with a BCA instructor should focus on exactly what your talking about with a "baseline" idea of what is correct, in terms of mechanics and fundamentals. If the instructor does NOT go through this procedure FIRST, to determine that the student actually HAS the required abilities, go find a new instructor. Also, all BCA instructors are supposed to use videotape as part of the lesson, but I know there are some out there who don't. Find one who does!

Scott

Barbara
12-27-2002, 08:59 PM
Well Fred,

My one New Year's Resolution involves looking through my Pool School instructor's manual and recalling my "set-pause-finish" routine. Plus, I plan to set a "at least three times a week" practice schedule. And start sending Joe T some scores from his "Guaranteed Improvement" practice booklet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Barbara~~~hasn't picked up a cue all month /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif