PDA

View Full Version : Buying a pool table need help!!!

03-12-2002, 10:06 AM
I am plannig on buying a pool table in the $2000-$3000 range. I am looking for a solid hardwood table with 1" slate. I have looked at Brunswick, Gandy, and Olhousen. While there are minor differences between them all they seem to be more similar than dissimilar. Does anyone have any advice as to choosing a table between these three manufacturers based on something other than appearance? Thanks for your help.

JimS
03-12-2002, 12:32 PM
I am not an expert in any way other than I, like you, went through this decision making process about...no exactly...3 years ago. I went with a Brunswick over the Olhausen because of the dealer. He did business on a hand shake...ordered the table from the company, brought it out and set it up with no money down. If I liked it when they were done setting it up then I paid. I liked that and figured it signaled that he would stand behind the product. I was right.

I couldn't see much to prefer one over the other as far as Brunswick and Olhausen went and there was no local dealer for Gandy. But....I was told by friends that Gandy's had "bucket" pockets (read very large and less challange) and I've read recently that Gandy has stopped production. I don't know what's up with that.

I've since sold my Brunswick for a more professional type table. I have a new Diamond Pro but that is out of the price range you've mentioned.

I had problems with both of my tables with the slate "popping" after a few months of use. The slate seams move vertically and create a ridge or bump which can alter the roll of a ball. This problems seems to be eliminated now that I've had my table mechanic use "Liquid Dowel" a product designed to sort of super-glue the slates together and prevent "popping". Brady Behrman, who posts here can supply you with this product and I'd recommend highly that your table be installed using this product.

Summary: go with the dealer you feel would be there for you when/if you need them. And check out the whole package....accessories...from each source. Check out the cloth. Simonis 860 is considered the best and is usually about a $100 upgrade but the dealer might throw in that upgrade if it's the deciding factor in the sale.

Feel free to email me or leave a private message on this site if I can be of further assistance. To leave a private message just click on my name, which will take you to my personal page and then click on the leave a private message icon on my home page. To send an email just click on my email address.

03-12-2002, 12:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: J.J.G.:</font><hr> I am plannig on buying a pool table in the $2000-$3000 range. <hr></blockquote>

although i bought thru a dealer, since i wanted the best of the best and brand new, i would strongly suggest you find the best table mechanic in your area and see what they have. a lot of mechanics have their eyes on a number of tables that are for sale. sometimes they even stick a good one in storage. you are bypassing the profit margin of the dealership and you can assume the mechanic will do you right since he is going to have to come back and fix anything that does not work out.

finding a mechanic? check at your local pool room and see who does their tables. with your budget, you should be able to get a solid, professional grade table.

dan