PDA

View Full Version : Women and One Pocket

Karatemom
12-28-2002, 12:56 AM
I have recently been introduced to that wonderful game of One Pocket, and love it! I can't say that I've been to any one pocket tournaments, but everyone I've talked to has never seen a woman play one pocket competitively. Is there a reason for this? Do they just not know how great this game is? Or are they trying to concentrate on the games that have the money, what little there is of it, like 9 ball?

I find that One Pocket enhances my cb control and placement, and also strategy. This is reflected in my 8 and 9 ball game. I just can't figure out why more women don't play this game.

Heide

Voodoo Daddy
12-28-2002, 01:06 AM
Heide...I only knew one woman that "played" one pocket. Her name is Linda Hoffman, she won the BCA womans 8-ball title 3 years in a row. Anyway, she was a relative of a good friend and when she came to Miami we would play. Once we put her on a local "lamb /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif killer" {a player that only plays people they can beat}...when the smoke cleared she put him on empty!!! One pocket will get your cueball in check, no doubt. Good luck with it lady...you got the right guy to show you the ropes!!!

cheesemouse
12-28-2002, 01:12 AM
Karatemom,
I glad to see you've discovered the chess game of pool and enjoy it. Once one leaves the metro areas of these united states where all the poolhalls are hardly anyone plays one-pocket. It's to bad but I still run into guys who have been playing pool for decades and they have never heard of the game. Give my regards to the Cassman. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

12-28-2002, 02:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> Karatemom,
I glad to see you've discovered the chess game of pool and enjoy it. Once one leaves the metro areas of these united states where all the poolhalls are hardly anyone plays one-pocket. It's to bad but I still run into guys who have been playing pool for decades and they have never heard of the game. Give my regards to the Cassman. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

it seems to me that there is more one pocket for big bux being played these days around here. anyone else seeing that trend???

dan

silverbullet
12-28-2002, 06:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> I have recently been introduced to that wonderful game of One Pocket, and love it! I can't say that I've been to any one pocket tournaments, but everyone I've talked to has never seen a woman play one pocket competitively. Is there a reason for this? Do they just not know how great this game is? Or are they trying to concentrate on the games that have the money, what little there is of it, like 9 ball?

I find that One Pocket enhances my cb control and placement, and also strategy. This is reflected in my 8 and 9 ball game. I just can't figure out why more women don't play this game.

Heide <hr /></blockquote>

Heide,

I glad for you. Am also attracted to one pocket and there is an excellent insructor here for that when I get ready to learn it. I want to get a little better at shape and banks before I join the women's one pocket ranks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bw

Troy
12-28-2002, 10:27 AM
I agree Dan. More &amp; more 1-Pocket and for more at stake than any 9-Ball match-up.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr>
it seems to me that there is more one pocket for big bux being played these days around here. anyone else seeing that trend???

dan <hr /></blockquote>

Karatemom
12-28-2002, 02:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr> Heide,

I glad for you. Am also attracted to one pocket and there is an excellent insructor here for that when I get ready to learn it. I want to get a little better at shape and banks before I join the women's one pocket ranks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bw <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know that there is a specific time to begin to learn a new game, but I find that one pocket gives me a little more insight to the other more popular games. One complements the other.

Heide

Karatemom
12-28-2002, 02:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> Karatemom,
I glad to see you've discovered the chess game of pool and enjoy it. Once one leaves the metro areas of these united states where all the poolhalls are hardly anyone plays one-pocket. It's to bad but I still run into guys who have been playing pool for decades and they have never heard of the game. Give my regards to the Cassman. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Cheese. I have found a partner whose skill level is slightly above mine. We play one pocket and 8 and 9 ball together once in a while. He's the only other player around who I could possibly compete with. Everyone else is too good. Although I did beat C.C. the other day. He gave me 12-5 and 11-3, beat him both times, hahahahaha.

But there are only a handful of players out here that play one pocket, and only one I can hold my own with.

Heide ~ the Cassman is doing better each day! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
12-28-2002, 02:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Heide...I only knew one woman that "played" one pocket. Her name is Linda Hoffman, she won the BCA womans 8-ball title 3 years in a row. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Voodoo, is that a sign that I will do well at Vegas this year? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Heide