PDA

View Full Version : Memories of The Golden Q (long)

Fran Crimi
12-28-2002, 10:11 AM
It's supposed to be a secret but word is leaking out...the infamous Golden Q in Queens, NY, will be shutting it's doors on Jan. 31st to begin construction as an upscale bowling alley. It's understandable, as the place has become of late, a mere whisp of what it used to be.

I won't miss it as it is now, but I've always missed it as it used to be --- the place that literally made pool exciting to be around. There was a period of time, maybe for as long as about 20 years, where you never knew who was going to walk in the door and what great match you were going to see that night...and there were some truly great ones. Everyone who was anyone in the game eventually made their way to the place.

I first came upon the place around the time of the end of the King of the Hill series, where my first peek through a curtain revealed two players playing 14.1, each one running hundreds at a time. I remember being mesmerized at how anyone could perform at such a high level for so long. I turned to the person peeking through next to me and asked, "Who ARE those guys?" He said, Gene Nagy and Ray Martin. (Little did I know they were to become my life-long friends and mentors.)

The action in the place was non-stop. Friday night was "fright night." You could sit in the bleachers in the back and watch the players sweat for thousands...Mizerak, Hopkins, Colavita, Fleming, Martin and many more were considered regulars. Then there were challengers who ventured in from all over. Grady was one, and a 16 yr. old Earl who talked a lot even then, and kept repeating that he was going to be a "world champion someday." There was something in the way he said it that made it believeable.

Martin taught me how to draw my ball, Nagy taught me how to make it look easy, Colavita taught me how to spin it, Fleming taught me how to jump it, Hopkins taught me how to hold it, the Miz just made me laugh...all the time. That was the Golden Q back then. You could try to look the place up in a phone book but you'd never find it because it was listed under "The." Who the heck lists their establishment under "THE"?

Well, it was a good ride, Bruce. I don't think anyone holds a grudge that you're shutting down. You kept the place going as long as you could.

Fran

TomBrooklyn
12-28-2002, 10:17 AM
One of my best memories of the Golden Cue is meeting Fran Crimi there and hanging out and chatting about pool with her. After that, at other times and pool halls, I had pool players come up to me that I didn't even know and just start talking to me. When I looked puzzled they would say: "Your a friend of Fran Crimi, right?", them having seen us together at the Golden Cue. It was like Fran was an institution in the pool world; and if you were OK with Fran, you were automatically OK with everybody.

=TB

Troy
12-28-2002, 10:22 AM
It's been a while Fran. Welcome "back".

silverbullet
12-28-2002, 12:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> One of my best memories of the Golden Cue is meeting Fran Crimi there and hanging out and chatting about pool with her. After that, at other times and pool halls, I had pool players come up to me that I didn't even know and just start talking to me. When I looked puzzled they would say: "Your a friend of Fran Crimi, right?", them having seen us together at the Golden Cue. It was like Fran was an institution in the pool world; and if you were OK with Fran, you were automatically OK with everybody.

=TB <hr /></blockquote>

WOW And WOW to the memories of the golden Q!!!!

bw

Hopster
12-28-2002, 03:48 PM
Wow, i remeber the place from the early 70,s when it used to be up the street a ways from where it is now. My pop used to take me there and i was just a kid at the time. He told me stories of the place in the 60,s when half the wiseguys and bookmakers from queens used to be there and he was a good player himself. Actually he was one of the bookies himself so he was pretty well known there.
Im truly sorry to hear of its passing.
The place i used to spend the most time at was J.C.,s billiard academy , also on queens blvd. I used to love to go there as they had an old 5x 10 table with the tight pockets and i used to feel great when i used to cut a ball across the table and made it. Anyone know if they are still open ?

9 Ball Girl
12-28-2002, 03:51 PM
Say it ain't so! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've been going there every Monday night for their Monday night tourneys! As a matter of fact, the Joss Tour has a stop there on March 1-2 which I was looking forward to and was going to attend! http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/confused/shrug03.gif

Golden Q Billiards
Elmhurst, NY
718-651-9009
March 1 - 2, 2003
$2000 added

I was there one Monday night and saw you but I didn't approach you because you were in a deep conversation with someone and I didn't want to interrupt figuring I'd see you there again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wendy~~thinking of Alexandra http://64.207.13.28/mysmilies/otn/confused/11zhuh.gif

Voodoo Daddy
12-28-2002, 08:29 PM
Though only there once the Golden Cue will be missed. I have vivid memories of my friend Barry Ross telling about the games with Balsis and Nagy. Onifrio Lauri and his temper tantrumes and the countless players that graced the front doors. I will have to tell my friend about the Cue's closing, a piece of his youth will die.....

#### leonard
12-28-2002, 10:52 PM
Fran that brings back memories of games of old. Mike Busone ran the Golden Cue then, I lost in the finals for a spot in the 1969 Worlds Tourney. I was playing Danny Gartner and he was going beserk at 3 am. He scratched on a shot and grabbed the cueball and slammed it to the table scattering the balls, it bounced off the light fixture just missing the bulbs. The next time he missed he slammed his cue into the floor shattering his butt cap, hitting the three women in the audience with flying debris. Cueball Kelly should have disqualified him but he just kept shaking his head. I really thought he was one step away from Bellview. His behavior took my mind off the game and on to his sorry state. ####

#### leonard
12-28-2002, 11:07 PM
Voodoo, Old man Lauri died playing Dave the Vegetable at the Golden Cue. Lauri had was playing him 150 to 125 and Dave need less than a rack, when Oni started running balls on him. He made the breakshot and was out on the table, he cleared off two or three balls then he shot the eightball in the corner pocket and loooked over at Dave and said that was my last shot and keeled over and died. Lauri was near 75 at the time. He had cameback from the Worlds Tourney in California shaken up from the earhtquake. According to Dave he was never right after the quake.

Lauri's play there was amazing for a 74 year old. He won his division 9-0 and had won his first 6 games in the Finals when the 1971 Quake hit. He never won another game and finished 3rd. Ray Martin got the nickname Cool Cat for his refusing to leave the building when the aftershooks were rattling the place. He was going to win that Championship. ####

12-29-2002, 03:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Voodoo, Old man Lauri died playing Dave the Vegetable at the Golden Cue. Lauri had was playing him 150 to 125 and Dave need less than a rack, when Oni started running balls on him. He made the breakshot and was out on the table, he cleared off two or three balls then he shot the eightball in the corner pocket and loooked over at Dave and said that was my last shot and keeled over and died. Lauri was near 75 at the time. He had cameback from the Worlds Tourney in California shaken up from the earhtquake. According to Dave he was never right after the quake.

Lauri's play there was amazing for a 74 year old. He won his division 9-0 and had won his first 6 games in the Finals when the 1971 Quake hit. He never won another game and finished 3rd. Ray Martin got the nickname Cool Cat for his refusing to leave the building when the aftershooks were rattling the place. He was going to win that Championship. #### <hr /></blockquote>

####,

i just love hearing about guys in their 70's beating the field. i'm in my 50's and still getting better. if i've got another 20 years,,,i might still figure this thing out.

thanks for the stories and keep 'em coming.

dan

CarolNYC
12-29-2002, 04:40 AM
Yes, Wendy,
It is so! My first time there,I had no idea what 9-ball was and entered-my opponent was Mike LeBron-all I had to do was make the 2-ball,ha ha ha-all I did was rack,ha ha ha-it was an experience-as for the JOSS TOUR-there will be one at Comet in Parsippany Jan.18-19-I may play it-one of my mentors called me-also, a TRI-STATE at Amsterdam East Jan.4-5th-that I will play!
Sorry for your Monday nights-
Carol~wondering where the players will go now!Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Jack Jr
01-13-2003, 02:21 PM
I remember the night Onofrio Lauri died. The phone rang 3:00 in the morning and it was Cue Ball Kelly telling my dad that Lauri passed away in the Golden Cue, running out on an opponent.

Onofrio Lauri was a great player and a class act.

nAz
01-13-2003, 02:28 PM
Looks like they will be going to Masters on 39th and Queens Blvd. same time and night, not sure if Alexandra will be the TD there. there is also a Thursday night tourny there too