PDA

View Full Version : posts

03-12-2002, 10:14 AM
Which of the following post topics are you SICK TO DEATH seeing on the index?

Chris Cass
03-12-2002, 04:18 PM
Sorry,
After looking at the list I can't see anything I don't find interesting. I do however don't like the adds for $6.00.
Regards,
C.C.

Kato
03-12-2002, 04:25 PM
All that stuff is about pool. I have a hard time with non-positive polls. I'm with Chris though, I am interested in all that stuff and hate the $6.00 thing. Hey Chris, got 6 bucks I can borrow and never pay back?

Kato

03-12-2002, 04:35 PM
I don't mind any of these topics, although people arguing back and forth about Hal's aiming system is definitely old. Either call him, or don't.
While this may not be a topic per se, nor have I seen this lately, but anytime I see Patrick's name come up, I feel like shouting "shut-the-hell-up!" at the top of my lungs. Fortunately, my neighbors are of sufficient distance away.

Tim

03-12-2002, 08:06 PM
Personally, I think if you're interested enough in this info from us, you might want to share who YOU are with us.

TomBrooklyn
03-12-2002, 10:18 PM
/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif<font color=blue>Actually, I'm not "sick" of seeing any of the topics you mention. Usually there is a new twist to the old topics that keeps it refreshing.

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gifI used to dislike the posting of personal messages of interest to only one specific person in the main forum, but that is no longer a problem because we have Private Messaging now.</font color=blue>

/ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif<font color=red>To use your word, you could say I'm "sick" of not being able to discern the content of a thread from a glance at the main list because it has an inadequately discriptive title. I suspect that some posters are not aware of the value of a descriptive and 'catchy' subject title.</font color=red>

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif<font color=purple>For the convienient self-aggrandizement of those interested, I have taken the liberty of refering to the following excellent suggestions from the FAQ Section of this website.</font color=purple>

Why Is A Post's Subject So Important?

The first post of a thread establishes the subject of the main thread subject and cannot be changed. It is therefore important to select a good subject title. Make it as descriptive and as specific as possible. Think of yourself as a newspaper editor: you want to give the most information you can in the heading of the article. Thats what gets peoples interest, and allows those with no interest in the topic at that time to skip it or come back to it later. For example, "Which Posts Are You Tired Of Seeing", is much better than something completely generic, such as "Posts"! "Posts" could mean almost anything, and forces the reader to open the thread to find out what it is really about.

<font color=purple>A good subject is more likely to elicit a response, will make it easier to locate the post later, and it will make for a much more pleasant experience for the readers when they are scanning the board. Thanks for asking the question, and please excuse the use of this thread as an example; it is not the only one that could benefit from a better title.</font color=purple>

Q-guy
03-13-2002, 12:05 PM
I could do without anonymous posting. You don't have to use your real name or give any personal info. A screen name is fine, at least it lets the reader know if they want to read the post. I read a post based as much on who wrote it as I do on the subject. I would have never read your post had some of the posters I like to read not responded to you. It is hard to take anyone serious who doesn't register.

Chris Cass
03-13-2002, 04:55 PM
Hi Kato,
Sure, I'd send you 6 bucks any day of the week.
Regards,
C.C.~~little does Kato know, I would have given him a $100. I a sucker for a good deal. LOLLOL quit watching movies, just watches infomercials. lol

Chris Cass
03-13-2002, 05:03 PM
Hi Q-Guy,
I totally agree. To me it's like talking to a stalker or something. Atleast try to sign the bottom of the post. It seems rude or uncaring and I'm not that way. I don't care what name they use, just a name. I would like to see the register filled out. Curiosity mainly and it should be honest. I enjoy knowing the backround of some to get a feel for the person posting.
Regards,
C.C.

cheesemouse
03-13-2002, 05:29 PM
Q-guy,
If it wasnt' for the fact that I have to click on the unregistered posters to get rid of the numbers inside the brackets I would by pass them altogether. Wouldn't it be great if the delete key worked on highlighted posts??

JimS
03-13-2002, 08:30 PM
I'm with you and CC and Da Cheese on this and I can't help but wonder why this discussion board is open to anonymous posters.

I don't know anything about the web biz but I think that if this were my board, if I owned or ran it you would register with your name and a valid email address or you wouldn't post. Period.

Does that make any sense to anyone else? Or, are there reasons why this is a bad idea?

03-14-2002, 01:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> I could do without anonymous posting. You don't have to use your real name or give any personal info. A screen name is fine, at least it lets the reader know if they want to read the post. I read a post based as much on who wrote it as I do on the subject. I would have never read your post had some of the posters I like to read not responded to you. It is hard to take anyone serious who doesn't register. <hr></blockquote>

q--now i'm really confused. i was mentally composing a pro-anonymous post based on a argument you made some years back about how you could not possibly express your opinions if you had to put your name on the posts. i decided i agreed, ultimately, the the anonymous stuff adds to the overall quality of the board. i guess all you are saying is that everyone should pick a name and stick with it even though it is a nom-de-plume? ok, i agree.

dan...real name...just a sitting duck.

03-14-2002, 10:09 AM
Those of you who post using your real names, or have that information posted in your profile, have a legitimate argument. BUT, those of you who post under handles are being hypocritical in that you are every bit as anonymous as those who post "anonymously". I.E.(copied at random from the profile page)

Profile for cheesemouse:

Email
N/A*
Name
N/A*
Title
member*

Having a handle gives the impression of an identity and allows people to distinquish posted information from a single indivdual, but that is all it accomplishes.Handles are often misleading and intended to give a false or self aggrandized perception of persona. The use of these nom de plumes is pretentious and used to hide the individuals identity. These people take no more responsibility for their opinions than those who choose to post anonymously. Plain fact of the matter is, I am a semi-regular poster who ordinarily uses my name; but on that particular day I was simply too lazy to log in and did not feel that it was important. Now that it is an issue for some, I choose to remain anonymous simply to be contrary. Have a nice day! :-)
~~stirring the pot~~

cheesemouse
03-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Thank you for you insight Mr/Mrs Unregistered Anonymous. Your hypocrisy is duely noted.
http://www.animation-station.com/anigifs/anim1670.gif the cheese paints

Q-guy
03-14-2002, 03:49 PM
I just like to know if I have any interest in reading the post. Some posters are very good , some are not worth reading anything they write. I just want to be able to make the choice. I am not really interested in who they really are. If you want to spend your time composing a post, don't you want it read? You are being silly. Call yourself anything you want. I just want to know what to expect from someones post before I waste my time. It is nice to be able to personal message someone also. It is up to you, but you are the one losing out. I find it strange.