PDA

View Full Version : Pool Hazardous to your Health?

jjinfla
12-29-2002, 08:11 AM
Maybe pool halls need to post a sign saying "Pool May Be Hazardous to Your Health". In today's paper, Gibraltar, Mich, Drinks saloon, south of Detroit. Two die, three wounded over game of billiards. Somebody was accused of cheating and was roughed up and came back with his 9mm. About 9 months ago the owner of Pro-Billiards in Orlando was killed in a robbery. Last week a woman came out of a local pool bar and was dragged to the woods and raped. A year ago the winner of a $5 game of 8 ball was attacked when he left and was struck with a tire iron. spent a couple months in the hospital and he still is not right. I'm sure everybody on the board can name several similar instances. In the Hustler the first image that comes to mind is the breaking of thumbs. In the Color of Money they are lucky to get out of the pool hall with their lives. That, and how much money they beat someone out of is emphasized, not the art, skill of the game. So, is there any wonder that pool has a poor image in the public's eye? And rightly so I might add. Jake

snipershot
12-29-2002, 04:04 PM
I just heard about this as well, everybody knows that these things are given pool a tainted image but for some unknown reason they continue to happen. Fistfights are common but things like this need to stop.

9 Ball Girl
12-29-2002, 09:22 PM
The unfortunate thing about Pool is that most of the time alcohol plays a part. I mean alcohol is not to be blamed completely 'cause I've taken a couple of swigs myself while I'm playing but I know not to go and get twisted. But I'm sure it does play a part. JMO

TomBrooklyn
12-30-2002, 03:00 AM
Maybe people should post a sign by their front door that says "Leaving the safety of your home may be hazardous to your health." Around here, people get shot and stabbed and clubbed all over the place, not just in pool halls. Arm yourselves and stay alert.

I stopped into the corner deli on the way to the pool hall this evening with a cue stick in a soft case. The clerk asked me if I had a sword. I guess people are nervous these days. Maybe carrying a cue case is a good way to make most people think twice about bothering you.

CarolNYC
12-30-2002, 04:33 AM
"ITS NOT THE GAME-ITS THE PEOPLE!"-and alcohol!
Carol:(

Fred Agnir
12-30-2002, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>In today's paper, Gibraltar, Mich, Drinks saloon, south of Detroit. Two die, three wounded over game of billiards. <hr /></blockquote>
This has little to do with pool, and everything to do with being a drunken fool.

Fred &lt;~~~ often plays the drunken fool

jjinfla
12-30-2002, 09:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> "ITS NOT THE GAME-ITS THE PEOPLE!"-and alcohol!
Carol:( <hr /></blockquote>
Maybe it is the game that draws these types. Jake

jjinfla
12-30-2002, 09:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>

Fred &lt;~~~ often plays the drunken fool <hr /></blockquote>

So now when I read one of Fred's Posts I have to ask myself if he is now acting the drunken fool. Not exactly the image I would think you would want to portray to society. Jake~~~avoids being, or being with, drunken fools. Too many good people out there for me to suffer the fools.

Rich R.
12-30-2002, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> "ITS NOT THE GAME-ITS THE PEOPLE!"-and alcohol!
Carol:( <hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Maybe it is the game that draws these types. Jake <hr /></blockquote>
No Jake, it is not the game. There are plenty of drunken fools that do not play pool, as well as many sober fools that do.

12-30-2002, 11:18 AM
in my home town,2 mexicans was playing pool
not for money or anything just playing to be playing
one of them lost i guess,left came back in and shot the
other guy 6 times and killed him onthe spot,
no one knew why they werent arguing or gambling
but i guess he just didnt like to lose
first time something like that has happened in our small
town,not to say we havent seen our share of crime
but this was a shocker to be killed over a game of pool

jjinfla
12-31-2002, 01:14 PM
Rich, The ark may have built by amateurs but you have to remember that they had one heck of a boss. Jake

NBC-BOB
02-06-2003, 02:27 PM
Back in the sixties, when I was drafted, I use to go into Colo. Springs, on the weekends and play a little pool for beers.My Army pay was $47 per month as a private.A guy wanted to play for money like $2.oo per game and I broke and ran out 3 racks.When I came out of the mens room he put a gun to my head.I gave him back his money!I've often wondered if this crazy guy would of shot me for $6 bucks.
Maybe thats why I never became a big gambler!

TomBrooklyn
02-06-2003, 03:35 PM
Bob, while your example is obviously an exception, not the rule, gambling is well known to sometimes be hazardous to one's health. The most common cause is not being able to cover one debts, but other scenarios can obviously lead to violence when gambling money is involved.

Drinking is also well known to lead to a reduction of inhibitions which sometimes leads to violent behavior. When gambling and drinking are combined, the chance of violence occuring is increased exponentially. Want to up it further? Get involved with some women from the place also.

Tom

Fran Crimi
02-06-2003, 03:46 PM
Pool is a cheap form of entertainment to many people. You don't see this happening in upscale rooms where the prices are high or at private clubs where the wealthy hang around the "Billiard Room" smoking cigars and sipping brandy. Take the word "cheap" out of pool and it changes the people who play it.

Fran

qSHAFT
02-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Keep it in perspective man, 11000 Americans are victims of gun related crime every year and you can name only 8 related to pool. Thats pretty good odds. Still gald to be in Australia though!

snipershot
02-06-2003, 09:25 PM
I agree that those are pretty good odds, but it's unfortunate that people lose their lives over a game of pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif, I'm also glad to live outside the U.S, everytime I go there I see some form of violence.

SecaucusFats
02-06-2003, 10:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr> I agree that those are pretty good odds, but it's unfortunate that people lose their lives over a game of pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif, I'm also glad to live outside the U.S, everytime I go there I see some form of violence. <hr /></blockquote>

People kill each other and main each other over all kinds of stupid things..games (sports, sex, greed, whatever), pool is not the problem, and it is just plain wrong to continue to provide fodder for those who view the game as a haven for felons, druggies, and assorted bad guys. Oh don't get me wrong, there are bad guys out there, but there are also millions of people both here and around the world for whom the game is a safe, sane and enjoyable diversion. In over 20 years I have yet to see a real fight much less real mayhem. Maybe I'm a fatalist but I figure "hell if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen". On the other hand I have seen many instances when pool players have united in benefit tournaments and auctions to help their less fortunate brothers and sisters in the game.

I'm tired of this distorted view of pool as Satan's ploy. And I'd bet you, that if pool halls had existed during the age of Jesus, He, being a normal red blooded blue collar guy would have enjoyed the game, as well as a pint or two of his favorite libation.

I'm a pool player and I'm damned proud of it. I'm proud of the ancient and noble history of the game. I marvel at the requirements it makes in terms of skill, knowledge, strategy and poise. I'm proud of the skill of the many fine craftsmen who lovingly craft magnificent works of art expressed as cues and tables. Sometimes bad things happen, that is a fact of life. But as for me, I'd rather dwell on the positive side of this game I love so dearly.

I get sick and tired if hearing how violent the US is, we have a population of approx 300,000,000 in a huge country of course we're going to have more crime than others.

Fats

Wally_in_Cincy
02-07-2003, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote snipershot:</font><hr> I agree that those are pretty good odds, but it's unfortunate that people lose their lives over a game of pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif, I'm also glad to live outside the U.S, everytime I go there I see some form of violence. <hr /></blockquote>

Oh really? Every time? Would you care to elaborate? Don't make a statement like that if you can't back it up.

NH_Steve
02-07-2003, 11:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr>
People kill each other and main each other over all kinds of stupid things..games (sports, sex, greed, whatever), pool is not the problem, and it is just plain wrong to continue to provide fodder for those who view the game as a haven for felons, druggies, and assorted bad guys. Oh don't get me wrong, there are bad guys out there, but there are also millions of people both here and around the world for whom the game is a safe, sane and enjoyable diversion. In over 20 years I have yet to see a real fight much less real mayhem. Maybe I'm a fatalist but I figure "hell if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen". On the other hand I have seen many instances when pool players have united in benefit tournaments and auctions to help their less fortunate brothers and sisters in the game.

I'm tired of this distorted view of pool as Satan's ploy. And I'd bet you, that if pool halls had existed during the age of Jesus, He, being a normal red blooded blue collar guy would have enjoyed the game, as well as a pint or two of his favorite libation.

I'm a pool player and I'm damned proud of it. I'm proud of the ancient and noble history of the game. I marvel at the requirements it makes in terms of skill, knowledge, strategy and poise. I'm proud of the skill of the many fine craftsmen who lovingly craft magnificent works of art expressed as cues and tables. Sometimes bad things happen, that is a fact of life. But as for me, I'd rather dwell on the positive side of this game I love so dearly.
Fats <hr /></blockquote>Very well said!

Drake
02-07-2003, 03:09 PM
On a side note, How many cigarettes do you think the average Pro Pool Player inhales second hand?? Maybe we'll see a couple of Pro's doing some breathing treatment commercials soon??