PDA

View Full Version : one pocket books

silverbullet
12-29-2002, 10:23 AM
Other than 'winning at one pocket', which due to supply vs demand, is out of my price range, what are some good books.

technique, strategy and basic rules is what i am interesting, so in a year when i am better, hoping to start dabbling a bit in this game.

bw

Popcorn
12-29-2002, 10:40 AM
Other then the basics, I can't imagine learning the game of one pocket from a book. You will learn far more from accu-state videos of matches and watching and playing the game. Beyond the moves it requires the ability to bank very well, or you can't beat anybody. It's greatest requirement, is the ability to make an offensive shot when needed, even after 10 or 15 minutes of not actually shooting at a ball. You see so many 9-ball players shot making go out the window when playing one pocket, due to the sometimes unusual pace of the game. The truth is, if you want to be a one pocket player, you must be a bank pool player also, they go hand in hand.

12-29-2002, 11:38 AM
I 2nd everything that Popcorn said. One of my favorite memories regarding bank pool was when Jeremy Jones offered me 5 to 3 in 9 ball bank pool for a $100/ game. After I won at 5 to 3 and 5 to 4 he chose not to play me even! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif My primary weakness in one pocket is not getting out of stroke but "going for it" rather than play a safety. Still with my banking ability it overcomes a lot of aggression. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jimbo

Troy
12-29-2002, 01:31 PM
Regardless what the nay-sayers have said, an excellent starter book is "Upscale One Pocket" by Jack Koehler. It's doubtful you can find it at your local bookstore, but it is vailable at Amazon for $17.95 ---
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/002-5792489-5100825

Troy...~~~ "One Pocket - The Ultimate Pocket Billiards Game"
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr> Other than 'winning at one pocket', which due to supply vs demand, is out of my price range, what are some good books.

technique, strategy and basic rules is what i am interesting, so in a year when i am better, hoping to start dabbling a bit in this game.

bw <hr /></blockquote>

silverbullet
12-29-2002, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimbo:</font><hr> I 2nd everything that Popcorn said. One of my favorite memories regarding bank pool was when Jeremy Jones offered me 5 to 3 in 9 ball bank pool for a $100/ game. After I won at 5 to 3 and 5 to 4 he chose not to play me even! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif My primary weakness in one pocket is not getting out of stroke but "going for it" rather than play a safety. Still with my banking ability it overcomes a lot of aggression. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jimbo
<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks. I know that a person has to be good at banking and shape. Up until recently I had two consistent banks in my arsenal (the easiest ones) and could only do simple shape.

Even though I am not in a league right now, the banks and shape are starting to click in the last few weeks. I cannot explain it, just starting to click. I figure I might be half way decent at those things in a year. That is what I was hoping, so was looking at ways to learn the general strategy. Accustat tapes are a great idea. Also I noticed on their site the one pocket book by koehler. I am glad to hear it is a good one as I was wondering about it. I have his 'science of pocket billiards' and like that.

not once who likes to have a lot of books. just a couple ones with diagrams and stuff on each type of pool. and hate phil capelle. too much words and not enuff pictures for this learner of mans (and womens) greatest and hardest sport.

bw

NH_Steve
12-30-2002, 07:17 AM
Besides the books, and all the hundreds of Accustats tourney tapes, there are also several one pocket instructional tapes: They are fairly basic overviews by both Allen Hopkins and Bill Incardona, plus considerably more advanced stuff by Grady and Willie Jopling.

Commentary by Grady, Freddie Bentivagna &amp; Danny Diliberto (probably poor spelling on the latter two on my part) is the best, IMO.

Ward
12-30-2002, 09:50 AM
I 2nd Troy, I have Kohlers Up-Scale One-Pocket and I think it is very good. The one thing about videos is you can't take them to the pool hall, you can take the book for reference...

Later

silverbullet
12-30-2002, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ward:</font><hr> I 2nd Troy, I have Kohlers Up-Scale One-Pocket and I think it is very good. The one thing about videos is you can't take them to the pool hall, you can take the book for reference...

Later
<hr /></blockquote>

great!!! ihave two books for regular all around pool...99 crit shots and the science of pocket billiards...

just need a couple to show me shots and techniques to practice. figure time and quality instruction will take care of the rest...

so feel one or two one pocket books would be nice.

bw

12-30-2002, 11:14 AM
Shots, Moves, and Strategies is the 2nd Eddie Robin book and it is excellent. Also Grady's Finishing Touch tape is very good for the end game of one pocket. Fred

silverbullet
12-30-2002, 01:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred McCann:</font><hr> Shots, Moves, and Strategies is the 2nd Eddie Robin book and it is excellent. Also Grady's Finishing Touch tape is very good for the end game of one pocket. Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Ray has that book but I thought it was too complicated, since I have not read the first one but thanks for the suggestion.

bw

Fred Agnir
12-30-2002, 02:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred McCann:</font><hr> Shots, Moves, and Strategies is the 2nd Eddie Robin book and it is excellent. Also Grady's Finishing Touch tape is very good for the end game of one pocket. Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Ray has that book but I thought it was too complicated, since I have not read the first one but thanks for the suggestion.

bw <hr /></blockquote>
Winning 1-Pocket is just as complicated. One-pocket itself is complicated.

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks AccuStats and Upscale One-Pocket are the best bets

Fred Agnir
12-30-2002, 02:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr>
great!!! ihave two books for regular all around pool...99 crit shots and the science of pocket billiards...<hr /></blockquote>
I think you should have Capelle's Play Your Best Pool and Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards in your library. And speaking of Byrne, I think you should burn that 99CS book.

Fred &lt;~~~ hasn't burned his copy ... yet

Tom_In_Cincy
12-30-2002, 02:12 PM
Fred,

Why would speaking of Byrne want you to BURN Ray Martin's 99CS book?

I know it has some flaws, but its a good standard for learning. Just curious

12-31-2002, 09:11 AM
You definitely would want to read Winning One Pocket before Shots, Moves, and Strategies. Get some basic info and start playing some one pocket. There is plenty of enjoyment playing this game. Good Luck! Fred

Fred Agnir
12-31-2002, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Fred,

Why would speaking of Byrne want you to BURN Ray Martin's 99CS book?

I know it has some flaws, but its a good standard for learning. Just curious <hr /></blockquote>
Oh, I guess I was just kidding. The book is a little too "golly gee whiz" in its writing, so I get annoyed reading it.

Fred

silverbullet
12-31-2002, 03:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr>
great!!! ihave two books for regular all around pool...99 crit shots and the science of pocket billiards...<hr /></blockquote>
I think you should have Capelle's Play Your Best Pool and Byrne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards in your library. And speaking of Byrne, I think you should burn that 99CS book.

Fred &lt;~~~ hasn't burned his copy ... yet <hr /></blockquote>

tell me why you do not like the 99cs book ( i am in the begginning practicing the shots but like sc of pock bill bests so far)and what you like better about bernes book

whly do you like capelles books. still say too many words. seems to take too many words to say the technique.

bw

Fred Agnir
12-31-2002, 03:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr> tell me why you do not like the 99cs book ( i am in the begginning practicing the shots but like sc of pock bill bests so far)and what you like better about bernes book

whly do you like capelles books. still say too many words. seems to take too many words to say the technique.

bw <hr /></blockquote>
Three major reasons I put down 99CS:

1. The aforementioned "gee whiz" style of writing by Rosser Reeves - this gives the impression that the author knows nothing of pool and is writing for third graders. This is analogous to movies with pool in it where every shot is a hanger, and everyone is impressed.

2. The book is outdated- it really is pointing towards more 14.1 techniques. And although a study in 14.1 is IMO a must, the title of 99 Critical Shots is now misleading, as they don't include what now are more critical shots in today's 9-ball game.

3. Technical errors - I wish there were a second edition. There are a few shots that some people will swear by and point to the shot in 99CS, and yet, they just aren't right. Some of the paths are wrong, and the description of english is sometimes wrong.

4. Misleading/confusing diagrams - The ball size/table size ratio is no good. See below.

I like the Byrne books for exactly the reasons why I don't like 99CS.

1. It's written in a straight forward informative language.
2. It's ideas and concepts can be translated to all the games.
3. Technically, Byrne does everything he can to write something that is technically correct, rather than strictly from his observation and intuition. He had mistakes in his first edition, which he corrected in follow-ups.
4. The diagrams are well thought out. He was the first to put emphasis on the fact that the path of the object ball is based on its center. The aspect ratios and scaling on his diagrams are correct. I think that is all too important a concept and is often overlooked in other books.

Capelle:

I don't have Capelle's Play Your Best Pool. But, the reviews are that he improved on Byrne's Standard Book. And that's good enough for me. It should be in my library.

Laura, I'd like to just throw out a handwaving argument that says that Byrne's Standard Book of Pool and Billiards is a must have. Almost as much as having a BCA rule book.

Fred