PDA

View Full Version : Mosconi Cup Captain

jjinfla
12-29-2002, 02:12 PM
How was the captain of the USA team picked? Was it by vote of the players? Or what? Just wondering if Strickland was not chosen because most of the players belong to the UPA and they wanted a UPA player named the Captain. If so, that decision may have cost the team (?) to lose. I wonder if Earl would have had the same line-up. And what was Charlie referring to just now on TV when he said either their captain or someone on their team said something to fire up the Europeans? Jake

Dafatman
12-29-2002, 05:46 PM
The BCA decided to let the players vote on the captain position, even after Luke Riches and Matchroom Sport had already released interviews with Earl and Oliver and posted the teams on the internet. Of the six players, 4 voted for Johnny, and Johnny didn't vote.....

Word is that next year Matchroom Sport will be picking the players and the captains and leave in politics in the USA, they really love Earl in England because of all the media coverage he gives the game with his skills and his antics.

As to CW, supposedly he made some comments about the European team celebrating at a tavern after the first day of competition, saying that "if all they came to win was 3 games, they should celebrate" or something to that effect.
You could see in the televised interview that it would behoove CW to keep his mouth shut.

fasteddie
12-29-2002, 06:10 PM
YOUR RIGHT EARL IS BIG BOXOFFICE OVER IN BRITAIN NOT ONLY IS HE A GREAT CHAMP BUT HE,S PATIONATE ABOUT HIS SPORT AND HIS COUNTRY.HE LOVES TO FEED OF THE CROWD,THE MORE HOSTILE THE BETTER(NOT THAT THERE WAS ANY UNTOWARD ANTI AMERICAN FELLING).EARL LOVES TO BE THE BAD GUY.AN AMERICAN TEAM WITHOUT EARL WOULD BE WEAKENED.FOR ARGUEMENTS SAKE WHAT WOULD BE ANYONE OUTTHERES FIRST STRING SIX PLAYERS? JUST INTERESTED, IS THERE SOME PLAYERS THAT I HAVENT HEARD OF.

Harold Acosta
12-29-2002, 07:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote fasteddie:</font><hr> FOR ARGUEMENTS SAKE WHAT WOULD BE ANYONE OUTTHERES FIRST STRING SIX PLAYERS? JUST INTERESTED, IS THERE SOME PLAYERS THAT I HAVENT HEARD OF. <hr /></blockquote>

I would kick out Archer and Varner, bring in Rodney Morris and Tony Robles. Frankie Hernandez if any of the other two are not available or to replace Charlie Williams. Davenport is out of the picture because of a recent eye injury.

Team would be:

Earl Strickland
Jeremy Jones
Rodney Morris
Tony Robles
Frankie Hernandez (replacing Charlie Williams).

Would like to see this team prove themselves against the Europeans, and I believe they could pull the rug and win the cup back for USA.

Just a thought since it ain't gonna happen....

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

fasteddie
12-29-2002, 07:44 PM
IT WOULD BE GREAT TO SEE ON AMERICAN SOIL,YOU NEVER KNOW.I PICK UP FROM OTHER POSTS THAT THER SEEMS TO BE A LOT OF DISHARMONY IN THE WAY BILLIARDS IS RUN IN AMERICA,WHAT BETTER WAY TO UNIT EVERYBODY THAN AGAINST A COMMON FOE.POOL IN BRITAIN IS TAKING OF FAST,WITH POTENTIAL HUGE ADVERTISING POWER ON LIVE TV.MONEY IS NO OBJECT IN THIS COUNTRY SO YOU NEVER KNOW.

Jon from MN
12-29-2002, 08:47 PM
I would add Jimmy Wetch&gt; He is used to playing over seas and he would be a great addition to the us team. He is also a fired up personality the brits love. Jon

9 Ball Girl
12-29-2002, 09:09 PM
I gotta tell ya, after watching the Mosconi Cup coverage today, that had to be the best commentating I've ever heard. What excitement! They didn't keep yapping like they do here in the States and I loved it! Their style of commentating, IMO, felt like Pool really is a sport worth watching. I'd wish they could do it like that over here. They were also very accurate in their predictions as to what shot a player was going to make and such. Two thumbs up!

cheesemouse
12-29-2002, 09:36 PM
Girl.
I'm with you. I thought the whole thing was super. I know there will be the purist that have some complaints about whatever but overall it was the best pool coverage I have ever seen on TV concidering it was a highlights show. The English dud calling the game was a hoot even though some of the references he made were off the wall and to me it sounded like he had marbles in his mouth... LOL LOL

nAz
12-29-2002, 09:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I gotta tell ya, after watching the Mosconi Cup coverage today, that had to be the best commentating I've ever heard. What excitement! They didn't keep yapping like they do here in the States and I loved it! Their style of commentating, IMO, felt like Pool really is a sport worth watching. I'd wish they could do it like that over here. They were also very accurate in their predictions as to what shot a player was going to make and such. Two thumbs up! <hr /></blockquote>

How would you know you were a sleep 90% of the time??? LOL

but its true wish the WPBA had that guy instead of the boring whats his name they have on /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9 Ball Girl
12-29-2002, 10:05 PM
I don't remember what shot it was for, but one of my favorite analogies that the English dude came up with was about cutting a ball "as thin as a butterfly's eyelash". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
12-29-2002, 10:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>How would you know you were a sleep 90% of the time??? LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Just for the 2nd hour, Nazee. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Harold Acosta
12-29-2002, 10:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jon from MN:</font><hr> I would add Jimmy Wetch&gt; He is used to playing over seas and he would be a great addition to the us team. He is also a fired up personality the brits love. Jon <hr /></blockquote>

Not a bad choice....and I would also add to that list Jose Garcia from New Jersey(5th place finish 1999 US Open)....I know he would give any of those Europeans a very, very hard time.....

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>

12-30-2002, 02:54 AM
I agree about Robles and Morris, but there may be problems with Morris' parole and him leaving the country. I think I heard something like that, but I'm not sure.

Hernandez is another story. He might be good for getting the crowd to hate him, since he has a lot of practice in that here in the states. In terms of his playing ability, he may have his good days, but on the whole he is nowhere near consistent enough to play there. I've seen him on the Joss Tour lose to nobodies.

Harold, I think you're just trying to resurrect Team Puerto Rico /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred Agnir
12-30-2002, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> How was the captain of the USA team picked? Was it by vote of the players? Or what? Just wondering if Strickland was not chosen because most of the players belong to the UPA and they wanted a UPA player named the Captain. If so, that decision may have cost the team (?) to lose. I wonder if Earl would have had the same line-up. And what was Charlie referring to just now on TV when he said either their captain or someone on their team said something to fire up the Europeans? Jake <hr /></blockquote>
I think that the U.S. had a great team and a great line-up. Look at the line-up again without knowing the results, and you'd still bet 2-1 on the Americans. They just happened to lose races to 5.

The wild cards of Steve Davis, Marcus Chamat and Nick Van den Berg came through for team Europe. That was the difference. Souquet, Immonen, and Ortmann are proven world-class champions.

Fred

Harold Acosta
12-30-2002, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nobody_Knows:</font><hr> I agree about Robles and Morris, but there may be problems with Morris' parole and him leaving the country. I think I heard something like that, but I'm not sure.

Hernandez is another story. He might be good for getting the crowd to hate him, since he has a lot of practice in that here in the states. In terms of his playing ability, he may have his good days, but on the whole he is nowhere near consistent enough to play there. I've seen him on the Joss Tour lose to nobodies.

Harold, I think you're just trying to resurrect Team Puerto Rico /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Hey, maybe if Matchroom decides to invite other countries,
part of Team Puerto Rico we already have! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif