PDA

View Full Version : Is POOL a seasonal game with you?????

cheesemouse
03-12-2002, 02:14 PM
Pool in the Fall/Winter and golf in the late Spring/Summer and about one month overlap on both ends. My problem is staying sharp these last few weeks before the golf is full time( I work at a golf course). Like right now I haven't hit a ball in eight days and the table is only 20 feet from this chair. In ten days I have to be ready to play but I can't make myself practice. I need a life line here...burned out on hitting balls.

03-12-2002, 02:41 PM
Pool, a SEASONAL game!? Shame on you! My answer would be no. I put away my Harley, but never my pool game.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-12-2002, 03:12 PM
Very Seasonal... all year round... just like the cue ball..

rackmup
03-12-2002, 03:42 PM
I've never considered it "seasonal" as I have played all four seasons without fail. I have only recently stopped playing due to the new, "fifth season"...

...the season of "engagement." It's "environment" has stopped my game dead in it's tracks.

Regards,

Ken (hoping the fifth season warms ups real soon and allows me out of the house)

Chris Cass
03-12-2002, 03:44 PM
Hi Cheesemouse,
Pool is and always been my life. I do take time out and been known to quit for a couple of yrs. I've say I quit and came back about 6 times. I don't golf but I know the games are simular in the ability to stroke the ball. I'd say seasonal a no for me.

I know a lot of people who do both seasonally speaking but I'd rather be shooting on the most beautiful day's outside. Don't know why? I think I'm nocturnal. lol Hell, I may even be a vampire, ask my wife. LOLLOLLOL
Regards,
C.C.

Cuemage
03-12-2002, 07:53 PM
Well Cheesemouse,

I too have occasion to play golf. It is just a no brainer when the weather is perfect...play golf or sweat inside the poolroom. I do notice an improvement in my game when I renew my pool playing...it seems there is more hunger to improve after a lay-off.

The Cuemage

Rich R.
03-13-2002, 07:34 AM
After getting married and obtaining a real job, I did not play pool for too many years. Now that I am playing again, I have treated it as a seasonal game. My pool season runs from January first through December thirtyfirst. Rich R.~~~still thinks pool season is shorter than basketball and hockey.

Bob_in_Cincy
03-13-2002, 08:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cheesemouse:</font><hr> Pool in the Fall/Winter and golf in the late Spring/Summer and about one month overlap on both ends. My problem is staying sharp these last few weeks before the golf is full time( I work at a golf course). Like right now I haven't hit a ball in eight days and the table is only 20 feet from this chair. In ten days I have to be ready to play but I can't make myself practice. I need a life line here...burned out on hitting balls. <hr></blockquote>

Is pool seasonal? Well, it has been, absolutely. I've been an avid fisherman since I was about 5 yrs. old. About this time of year, after being inside all winter, give me a 65 Degree day and bright sunshine, there's no way in hell I'm gonna spend the afternoon inside, even to play pool. I really love the game of pool, but it'll never replace fishing, especially fly fishing (which is another "pleasure of small motions") .

So don't worry if you're tired of hitting balls. Do something else for a little while. I know this is heresy, but there's a lot more to life than pool, and most of us can't be great at everything. But that's ok.

You say you need to be ready in 10 days. What if you're not? Is it the end of the world? Not likely, unless pool (and winning at pool) is what you believe defines you as a human being.

I'm probably going to play in a league this summer, but the last time I did that, there were nights when I would have much rather been wading a stream somewhere with a fly rod in my hand than going to play. It'll probably be that way again, but right now I want to work on my game a little more than in the past.I'm never going to be as good as Tom in Cincy. Part of the reason is that I'm unwilling to devote as much of my time to the game as he does.

It's all about choices. Make the one that feels right &amp; don't worry about it. Sorry to get so philosophical, but this is something I wrestle with all the time. I want to be good at everything I do, but there simply aren't enough hours in the day if, like me, one has interests beyond pool.

Regards,

Bob in Cincy

Kato
03-13-2002, 09:15 AM
In South Florida the weather is good year round for the most part (some of you may dispute the 95 degree, 95 humidity as nice) is really good. I play pool, golf, raquetball, bike a little, and play with my dogs outside. Nothing in South Florida is seasonal except for the tourists.

Kato~~~plays pool pretty much whenever I'm not doing something else.

Mikey
03-13-2002, 08:53 PM
Yes, unfortunately it has been the last 2 yrs. I ,like your self am a golf nut and it takes up 5- 6 days a week for me. I havn't played league fo a 1 and a half years, but I gear up for V.F each year. The middle of Dec. thru March I play many, many hrs of practice ( usually 2-3 hrs a night) and mini tourneys in the area . It's a lot of hard work , but it pays off. Good luck.---Mikey

Rod
03-13-2002, 11:03 PM
Well Cheese I could call it seasonal. Sometimes the seasons change and my cue doesn't recognize me. Of course it lets me know with a twing, the miscue sound. I'd prefer to call it inspirational, could that be what's happening with you to?

03-13-2002, 11:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Pool, a SEASONAL game!? Shame on you! My answer would be no. I put away my Harley, but never my pool game. <hr></blockquote>

hope you didn't put that scooter too far away, you'll want it back.

anyway, yes, my pool playin is somewhat seasonal since both my leagues run a quick 22ish week season and then force a layoff with nothin to do for a seemingly interminable entire week before they start over again. about 80% of us show up in the off week anyway. free pool, cold beer...is this a great country or what.

golf?! this town could not possibly exist without air conditioning. as a matter of fact about the only thing it was good for before the advent of a.c. was breeding mosquitors for yellow fever. most of the summer it's near 100 deg. at 100% humidity. then it rains. the humidity goes up. and people wander around a meadow with personal lightening rods???

dan

JimS
03-14-2002, 12:49 AM
Pool for me is seasonal. As seasonal as sex.

Try something new and challanging. Put the cb on the edge of the slate in a corner pocket an object ball in the center of the table and see if you can make it cross corner 7 times out of 10 before you go to bed.