PDA

View Full Version : Calcuttas and weekly tourneys

Ralph S.
12-30-2002, 01:08 AM
I thought I would share this with all of you. There is a weekly tourney here where I live that all the top players are usually involved in. Everybody in this tourney is very strong players, some more so than others, but the field is so good that the calcutta is usually verrrrryy good on a $5 entry fee tourney. This week the field filled the 32 spots and the calcutta went to a whopping $700.00+. I just thought it is amazing to get a calcutta that large on a low dollar entry fee. Does anybody else get decent calcuttas in their weekly tourneys? If so, tell us about it.
Ralph S.

Scott Lee
12-30-2002, 01:16 AM
Ralph...I don't know about weekly tournaments, but up in MT and ID, where I live, there are $20 entry tournaments (some only a couple of times a year) where I have seen the calcutta total $5-$10,000! I have seen the "blind pick" you were talking to me about earlier, go as high as $2000!
Ridiculous, if you ask me!

Scott

Ralph S.
12-30-2002, 01:21 AM
Now thats some bucks!!! Maybe we should go there Scott. You do the playin and I'll get ya in the blind draw. I got 2 large in my pocket right now. LOL.
Ralph S.

nAz
12-30-2002, 01:33 AM
wow $5 entry fee thats great. in NYC its like 25 + the Cal. depending on which place 1st prize can be $800-$1000 and the Cal.$1200-$1800.
Never seen a blind bid go for more then $400 and that was on Hsiao-lang Fang @ a plus 5, i remember he won that night beat the Russian Staven who was a plus 4.

Perk
12-30-2002, 06:50 AM
Ralph...just to your north..same style tourneys. Kalamazoo/Battle Creek Michigan on Fridays/Saturdays have $5.00/$10.00 tourneys that run calcutta numbers way up ($400 - $900). The average "no" name Joe can go for $20 dollars or so in the calcutta. So for a minimal investment of say 25.00/30.00 you can play some great players and win a chance to win big.

Brain farting this morning, but one of the tourneys is a Race to 1, eightball....kinda nerve racking, but you can get by a champ easier in a race to 1.

<--I could get details if ya needed...PM me.

sliprock
12-30-2002, 07:36 AM
We've got a couple of race to 3, 9-ball tournaments here in Central Ky that have $5 entry fees and strong Calcuttas. I won one Friday night and the 1st place calcutta was worth $680. I've seen this tournament have over 80 players and over $3000 in total money. The thing that makes this tournaments calcutta so strong is that the "A" players are Barred from playing, and we have a ton of "B" players that have the game to win. Everyone's value decreases when you allow the Champions to play.

Fred Agnir
12-30-2002, 09:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> I thought I would share this with all of you. There is a weekly tourney here where I live that all the top players are usually involved in. Everybody in this tourney is very strong players, some more so than others, but the field is so good that the calcutta is usually verrrrryy good on a $5 entry fee tourney. This week the field filled the 32 spots and the calcutta went to a whopping $700.00+. I just thought it is amazing to get a calcutta that large on a low dollar entry fee. Does anybody else get decent calcuttas in their weekly tourneys? If so, tell us about it.<hr /></blockquote>
There was (is?) a tournament in a bar just north of Dayton that went for $5 that attracted many of Dayton's top tier. I don't think 32 players would play, however. The one time I played it, the Calcutta went near $1000. I think at least 7 players (out of about 20?)went over $100. That's a tough single-game DE 8-balltournament.

Fred

Ralph S.
12-30-2002, 10:32 AM
Fred, that sounds alot like the one here in Ft.Wayne. The weakest player is a serious threat to knock off the fave.
Ralph S.