PDA

View Full Version : If you could play with the pros - would you?

12-30-2002, 08:27 AM
If you could snap your fingers and be able to play as well as the top pros - but it meant you had to lead their lifestyle, would you do it?

I have a decent job, make a decent salary, have a nice home, etc. I would NOT give up my job and live on the road to play in nickel and dime tournaments (when compared to most sports). I guess I'm not much of a risk taker, which may be one of the reasons I will never play at their level. But I would not trade what I have now so I could live on the road, sleeping in hotels (or cars) scrounging around the tournament scene week in and week out, and having to finish well in the tournament just to cover expenses. It just doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Now I realize some of them get endorsements and I'm sure that takes alot of the stress away, but those with endorsements are definitely in the minority.

What are your thoughts on the whole thing?
Anyone have some insider sotries about life on the road?

Chris

Kato
12-30-2002, 09:10 AM
No way I could live like that. That's just me though. I gave up gambling and don't see that as much of a life. You can go to a tournament and lose or make only a couple hundred bucks or maybe win $2000 or a big one like $20,000 but you've got nothing to count on. I like my steady income. I like knowing I can go to the dentist every 6 months and when I get sick I can go to the doctor. I like having a retirement plan. Makes me feel good inside.

Kato

Fred Agnir
12-30-2002, 09:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Alvey:</font><hr> If you could snap your fingers and be able to play as well as the top pros - but it meant you had to lead their lifestyle, would you do it?
<hr /></blockquote>
Could I pick the pro and their lifestyle and still be me?

Fred

Perk
12-30-2002, 09:43 AM
I dont think so for me. I am happy knowing my daughter has health insurance. I enjoy going to tournaments, matching up and gambling alittle. But I wouldnt want to count on it to live. The money I win now in tourneys/gambling is just EXTRA cash for my family to spend. Most of the time, I come home and toss the GREEN to my finance and let her spend it how she wants. I keep just enuff for my next tourney, and maybe enuff for xtra league night cash.

About the only thing I can say that might be tempting would be the TV time. Right now its minimal, so I am not missing much. Guess I will stick to my everyday job. Of course if I could make it Mon-Thurs, and pool on Fri/Sat/Sun that would be fun, but then the family life would disappear.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Popcorn
12-30-2002, 11:31 AM
If you are saying would it have to be a life sentence, I would say probably not. Would most older people trade their security they may now have, for the uncertainty of that life, I am sure they would say no. The truth is most players only do it for a limited time. For some, it is a dead end, for others it may be a steppingstone to other industry related things, like instructing, owning a room or billiard supply. And for a few it provides a decent living. If you were to ask anyone who has done it, they would tell you they would not trade that time of their lives for anything. With some luck we will live a pretty long time here on earth and there is time for many things. We live what could be called many lives and never really know what will be next regardless what we think. For someone who loves the game and has the skill, to not attempt to play the game at it's highest level, would be to cheat themselves of what would be a great experience. I can only tell you as one who lived that life for a time, Although at this time in my life I may not want to do it, I would not have missed it for the world. Many of the players who's names are talked about here, to me are more then two dimensional pictures on an accu-stats video. I have played them and count them among my friends. What a thrill to look at a board and see your next match is Lassiter or Crane. I think if most people (players) could see it in the right light, they would say yes. There can often be a high cost for security. Many times we don't really have the security we think we do. On a smaller scale, players should try to at least attend some tournaments. See the players in person and experience the thrill of being there. Take the Derby tournament for instance. I know a lot of people on here would love to go. If a few hundred dollars are keeping you from going, then sacrifice in some other way and go. These experiences will last you a life time, don't miss out on them. I am not preaching irresponsibility but lives are to be lived, that is what we are here for.

BillPorter
12-30-2002, 12:37 PM
Popcorn,

Speaking as a person who lived and breathed pool for a short spell back in my 20's, I have to agree with all you have said and would like to compliment you on your post. As you point out, we don't know the future and may think we have security when we have only the illusion of security. The greatest risk is taking no risk at all.

silverbullet
12-30-2002, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> Popcorn,

Speaking as a person who lived and breathed pool for a short spell back in my 20's, I have to agree with all you have said and would like to compliment you on your post. As you point out, we don't know the future and may think we have security when we have only the illusion of security. The greatest risk is taking no risk at all. <hr /></blockquote>

I like your last sentence. Reminds me that making no decision is a decision. My need to be good at pool is getting to be for personal satisfaction more and more with no idea about how long it would take to be there.

I do look up to people like allison fisher but am sure there are other fine women players too I dont see on TV. It sure seems to be a hard road and lots of hard work. So to me it is not just a matter of 'if i had the talent' but if I want that life and what is important to me in terms of achievements and recognition for those achievements.

Getting better at the game is fun, challenging and things are making more sense which is kind of nice.

Be a pro, I do not think so, but then I am 50. Might have thought different in my 20s and early 30s.

bw

Tom_In_Cincy
12-30-2002, 02:22 PM
Hi Chris, (hope to see ya at the DCC)

Would I like to play with the pros? at their level? for as long as I could? SURE.

But, I wouldn't give up my day job..

Cueless Joey
12-30-2002, 02:30 PM
If I were as good as Bustamante, Earl or Efren or Allison/Karen, I would do it. Save money then open my own pool hall/school ala Buddy Hall.

snipershot
12-30-2002, 07:04 PM
I would as long as I was one of the top pros, if you include the money they make after endorsements it's not so bad, I wouldn't if I was one of the lower ranked pros though, they don't make much at all.

Getting away from the money aspect of it, getting to play pool for a living would be pretty sweet, you would have lot's of fun and get to travel around alot.

bigbro6060
12-30-2002, 07:15 PM
i think a lot of the fun of playing and practising would be lost if you were doing it all the time for a living

Scott Lee
12-30-2002, 08:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Alvey:</font><hr> If you could snap your fingers and be able to play as well as the top pros - but it meant you had to lead their lifestyle, would you do it?

I have a decent job, make a decent salary, have a nice home, etc. I would NOT give up my job and live on the road to play in nickel and dime tournaments (when compared to most sports). I guess I'm not much of a risk taker, which may be one of the reasons I will never play at their level. But I would not trade what I have now so I could live on the road, sleeping in hotels (or cars) scrounging around the tournament scene week in and week out, and having to finish well in the tournament just to cover expenses. It just doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Chris <hr /></blockquote>

Chris...I have been there, done that...and I think your head is on VERY straight! LOL I make a better living than 95% of the "pro players"...and all I do is play pool...just from a different perspective!

Scott Lee

Scott Lee
12-30-2002, 08:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Save money then open my own pool hall/school ala Buddy Hall. <hr /></blockquote>

Joey...Buddy has a pool hall and/or school??? News to me!

Scott

Cueless Joey
12-31-2002, 03:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Save money then open my own pool hall/school ala Buddy Hall. <hr /></blockquote>

Joey...Buddy has a pool hall and/or school??? News to me!

Scott <hr /></blockquote>
He alluded during his commentary on one video he has a Buddy Hall pool school in Florida. And, I believe he is part owner of Planet Billiards.

Jon from MN
12-31-2002, 07:16 AM
I dont know tough question. I work 35 hours a week I promote pool and pool players lets see the rest of my waking day and night. Where would I fond the time. Jon from mn

Icon of Sin
12-31-2002, 07:21 AM
if i had to drop my career and benefits with my job to do this, then no... im big on security, even if i had the talent to make alot of money, its still not a very secure job...

but if i weened myself into like some of the pros did, work there way up, then i could probably do it...