PDA

View Full Version : Sid Waddell and the Mosconi announcers

Wally_in_Cincy
12-30-2002, 10:04 AM
When Luke Riches announced that the MC was going to be on ESPN the first question I posted was "Will Americans be able to understand Sid Waddell?" IMO the answer is "no" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I liked his <font color="blue">"Oh that's got to be a feather shot, a gossamer shot." </font color>

Then there's the immortal <font color="blue"> OH MEE BLOD DEE BLAH MMPPH UNE DA FRICKEN !!!! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess he's like the Dick Vitale of Matchroom Sports, very colorful but some of us don't quite get it /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OTOH Jim Wych was excellent. I wish Mike Sigel and Billy Incardona would have let him do his job at the U.S. Open PPV

Jerry Forsyth was very good also.

Kato
12-30-2002, 10:13 AM
Wally, I love Sid Waddell. I may be in the minority but he just brings a level of excitement much like Vitale. Now Vitale was not my favorite, Al McGuire was but he is excited about basketball, his passion in life. Sure we don't necessarily understand Sid but it's his passion and his tone that does it for me.

Kato

cuechick
12-30-2002, 10:15 AM
Even though I commented in another forum on this I had to do it again... I just hated this guy!!! I am sorry but not only did I hardly understand him, his constant chatter made me reach for the mute more than once. It really put a damper on my enjoyment, his HYPER delievery was so out of synch with slow tension of the tournament. POOL IS A QUIET SPORT!
I also can understand the stop clock on the women's TV events and think the pace could benifit in this as well. That was the other problem, I thought, I am sure many will disagree but I feel you stand a bigger chance of loosing the less pool educated audiance when the action slows down to a halt, as it often did in this non timed event.

9 Ball Girl
12-30-2002, 10:20 AM
I'm copying this from another thread:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>I gotta tell ya, after watching the Mosconi Cup coverage today, that had to be the best commentating I've ever heard. What excitement! They didn't keep yapping like they do here in the States and I loved it! Their style of commentating, IMO, felt like Pool really is a sport worth watching. I'd wish they could do it like that over here. They were also very accurate in their predictions as to what shot a player was going to make and such. Two thumbs up! <hr /></blockquote>

and then...

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CheeseMouse:</font><hr>Girl.
I'm with you. I thought the whole thing was super. I know there will be the purist that have some complaints about whatever but overall it was the best pool coverage I have ever seen on TV concidering it was a highlights show. The English dud calling the game was a hoot even though some of the references he made were off the wall and to me it sounded like he had marbles in his mouth... LOL LOL<hr /></blockquote>

SPetty
12-30-2002, 11:21 AM
No complaints here. I thought that announcer was great. I don't remember a time that I didn't understand what he said, so I either was tuning him out when needed, or didn't have a problem understanding him, except, of course, when he was whispering.

His enthusiasm was contagious and came across to me as genuine. I really really liked him. All of the announcers were very good.

I also liked seeing the matches with NO shot clock. I think the artificial setting of the shot clock makes people like me think I should be able to select my shot and execute it within 30 seconds, and I feel horribly guilty when I can't do it that fast. Nice to see that people who know how to play the game sometimes take more than 30 seconds when deciding what to do with the table.

I really liked how the referee had to hush the crowd - contrast that to our referee that has to tell the crowd to clap inappropriately all the time...

It was truly fun seeing people truly having fun watching a fun fun match. I agree with cuechick that we should all offer our thanks to ESPN and encourage them to do more of it.

This was the first time in YEARS that I've sat in front of the TV for FIVE HOURS straight, and I was WATCHING POOL the whole time!!! Who would've ever guessed that would happen in my lifetime??!?

Fred Agnir
12-30-2002, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> I liked his <font color="blue">"Oh that's got to be a feather shot, a gossamer shot." </font color>

Then there's the immortal <font color="blue"> OH MEE BLOD DEE BLAH MMPPH UNE DA FRICKEN !!!! </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

LOL!!!

<font color="blue"> An dhee kon fumsit!</font color>

Fred