PDA

View Full Version : How to make a good deal...

SPetty
12-30-2002, 11:52 AM
Howdy,

I'm ready to get my new 9' Diamond Pro table. There is a local dealership here that sells them, but I'm pretty sure they have to order it. I want to get the table with artemis cushions, Diamond light and Diamond rack. Plus simonis 860 cloth and (aramith?/centennial?) balls. (That about covers it, right?)

My main concern is that I don't want to feel like I've "been taken" or "got took". How will I know if I'm getting a reasonable deal on this table? Are there any little extras I should ask for? For example, I'm thinking that I should request that liquid dowel stuff that's been talked about here, and I thought I'd negotiate one or two free levelings in the next year, just in case I need it.

I've been saving and saving and saving, and have enough cash, but I just want to make sure that I'm not paying more than I should for this setup. I'm not looking for the kind of bargain that would require me to drive the pickup to Virginia to haul back a table, but I don't want to blindly pay too much either.

Any suggestions? How will I know I got a fair deal?

Harold Acosta
12-30-2002, 12:15 PM
Divide the given price by half (50 percent quoted price) and negotiate up to 25 percent more (75 percent of quoted price), and maybe give them the benefit of the doubt with the extra features. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just an opinion....

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Rod
12-30-2002, 04:23 PM
Howdy,
There are other Diamond owners here, maybe some will PM you with the price they paid. You can always e-mail Diamond at their home page for any further questions. Greg at Diamond posts here once in a while. Perhaps if the heading of your post was Diamond ? it might help?

Glad to see your considering Artemis cushions. I've heard they play well. To my knowledge I've never played on a table with them but I'm not to fond of the stock cushions, what ever they are. I say that because they are a bit on the slow side. I think you need to buy a cue rack, it fits right in and stock it with 4 or so good house cues. That's for when the inlaws\relatives etc come over. You need a mechanical bridge, one with well rounded grooves and not metal, they put dings in the shaft. Table brush and under the rail brust and vacuum. You may have this stuff already.
You might consider a set of beads for those high runs in straight pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well at least a set of beads that go to 10 on each side above the light for races. I went to a craft shop and bought large wooden ones. Contact Brady B on the liquid dowel but make sure the installer will use it. The installer should give you at least one free level at a later date. I'd question them if that wasn't part of the deal since a table and floor will settle a little.
Petty's Pool Hall is entering the final stages?

One last thought, have you considered a ball return? I like drop pockets but not when shooting large numbers of balls into one or two holes during practice, just a thought.

Scott Lee
12-30-2002, 06:54 PM
Rod...Diamond does not make a ball return in the Diamond Pro models...they are ALL drop pocket. You have to buy the Smart Table to get that! LOL Thought you knew this!

Susan...You can buy the 9' Diamond Pro right from Diamond for $4050 + the light ($700-900?). To me it makes no sense to buy from a dealer when the dealer pays the exact same price that you can buy the table for yourself, right from Diamond (unless they bought a whole bunch...in which case they get them for $2-300 less). For some reason you do not have to be a dealer to get Diamond's "wholesale" price. The dealer will be trying to get appx. $6500 for the table. Of course, you'd have to pay shipping from IN to TX, but that couldn't be more than $500...and you'd have to pay a good mechanic to set it up! All in all, you could buy it, have it installed, and everything for less than you're going to pay from the dealer. I would figure THAT price (off the website, and with a little investigation on installs), and go to the dealer with it. If they match it...GO FOR IT! If not, then you can either negotiate, or decide if it is worth paying more. Hope this helps.

Scott

beerwolf
12-30-2002, 08:28 PM
I would give that liquid dowel stuff strong consideration. A local room opened up about 6 months ago with around 20 new Diamond Pros and the last time I played there the slates had popped on the table I was using. I think I heard there were others that had popped but I didn't check any others. It's the first time I've encountered that condition. I'm curious how many have done that and will see the next time I am there.
BW

Vagabond
12-30-2002, 08:33 PM
Howdy Ma`am,
Wait till a major tournament comes up that uses Diamond pro.Those tables are sold for lesser price after the tournament.Ask Ken to haul it for u in his ram pick up truck.Cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Scott Lee
12-30-2002, 08:38 PM
bw...That is the FIRST instance I have heard of where slates separated after using the "liquid dowels" stuff.
Other than that...all very positive!

Scott

Barbara
12-30-2002, 08:47 PM
Spetty,

I have no idea about how to make a deal on a table, but I do envy you're getting a Diamond Pro!! It's got to be the hardest table to play on, and you'll easily adjust to any other table you play on from now on!!

Barbara~~~wouldn't sell/trade her table in for the world though... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

beerwolf
12-30-2002, 09:17 PM
Scott, What I meant was that one should seriously consider finding out about the stuff and probably using it. I don't think it was used in lhe room that opened 6 months ago but I will inquire when I inspect the rest of the tables. I wasn't being critical of it. I have no experience with it at all and only know what I've heard here (all good). What I meant to say is that it might be very important to use it on a Diamond if it does indeed work as I have heard.
BW

Brady_Behrman
12-30-2002, 09:55 PM
Diamond does have a Pro Gully Table..

I have the Diamond Pro (Drop Pockets) on sale for 4,000.00 due to a 2003 Mid Atlantic 9-Ball Championships special valid through Feb 2003. The light is 700.00, The Aramith balls are 125.00 and the Sardo is 125.00..

Note these tables are NEW

Info can be found at bottom of http://www.fantasy9ball.com/midatlantic.cfm

My number is 757-328-3229 Cel

Have a Happy Holidays!

Rod
12-30-2002, 09:55 PM
Scott, I've never seen one but I assumed, well you know the rest. LOL

Scott Lee
12-31-2002, 12:31 AM
bw...No sweat! I wonder if they did use, and the slates still separated, perhaps they didn't do it correctly. Victor Conte, the inventor, stands solidly behind the product, but like super glue, you have to put it on the right way. I have seen L.D. used, but never used it myself. From all appearances it is a very good product.

Scott Lee

SPetty
12-31-2002, 09:47 AM
Thanks, everybody, for all your help. After I get my table, you're all invited to come by and play!

Rich R.
12-31-2002, 01:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Rod...Diamond does not make a ball return in the Diamond Pro models...they are ALL drop pocket. You have to buy the Smart Table to get that! LOL Thought you knew this!

Susan...You can buy the 9' Diamond Pro right from Diamond for $4050 + the light ($700-900?). To me it makes no sense to buy from a dealer when the dealer pays the exact same price that you can buy the table for yourself, right from Diamond (unless they bought a whole bunch...in which case they get them for $2-300 less). For some reason you do not have to be a dealer to get Diamond's "wholesale" price. The dealer will be trying to get appx. $6500 for the table. Of course, you'd have to pay shipping from IN to TX, but that couldn't be more than $500...and you'd have to pay a good mechanic to set it up! All in all, you could buy it, have it installed, and everything for less than you're going to pay from the dealer. I would figure THAT price (off the website, and with a little investigation on installs), and go to the dealer with it. If they match it...GO FOR IT! If not, then you can either negotiate, or decide if it is worth paying more. Hope this helps.

Scott

<hr /></blockquote>
SPetty, per Diamond's website, a matching ball return system is available for the Pro table. For practice, by yourself, I highly recommend a ball return system.
http://www.diamondbilliard.com/diamond_pro.html

As for ordering directly from Diamond, I know Gayle in Md. ordered her Diamond Pro that way. If memory serves me, if you are willing to wait until Diamond has a truck running in your general direction, you can arrange delivery and set up by them. You may want to contact Gayle for more details. You can also contact Greg at Diamond. I believe that is who Gayle dealt with.

BTW, I had the pleasure of taking my lesson with Scott Lee on Gayle's table. IMHO, the Diamond Pro is one heck of a table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
12-31-2002, 07:22 PM
Rich...Thanks for the heads up. Brady also mentioned that earlier. Geez, guess I should take a closer look at the website! LOL I have never seen or played on a Diamond Pro with a gully return. Anyone out there have one, or played much on one? I'd be curious how they work, as this seems to be one of the banes of the Brunswick GCIV's. I have seen quite a few problems with the balls falling out of the tracks. BTW...I am trying to get back to MD in Feb. Hope to see you again!

Scott

Tom_In_Cincy
12-31-2002, 08:07 PM
Scott.. too bad you won't be at the DCC.. there is an upstairs tournament room full of the Diamond Smart tables and they all have the return systems. And, the use the red circle cue ball... on simonis.. and are all barboxes.. Love playing on them

Scott Lee
12-31-2002, 08:10 PM
Tom...I have played on the Smart Tables many times. They are saying there is a Diamond Pro model with a gully ball return. That's what I was asking about to see if anyone had played on them.

Scott

Tom_In_Cincy
12-31-2002, 08:12 PM
Never seen a Diamond PRO table with a ball return system.. but that doesn't mean there isn't a custom job out there..

Scott Lee
12-31-2002, 08:17 PM
Tom...Rich R. said it was listed on the Diamond website, and Brady Behrman posted above about the gully ball return.

Scott