PDA

View Full Version : Self Defence Techniques And Training

12-30-2002, 10:52 PM
What are some of your favorite self-defense techniques that you employ against muggers, kidnappers, and unarmed and armed assailants etc. at and on the way to and from the pool hall, especially late at night. What kind of education and physical training do you engage in to this end? -Slim

CarolNYC
12-31-2002, 04:26 AM
SlimJim,
If I was in Miami-walking with Voodoo!ha ha ha-I noticed you stated"walking to and from the pool hall"-anything can happen anywhere at anytime-even out your front door-just being aware of your surroundings,streetwise!I mean, you dont walk through central Park at night alone! Streetwise-I would NEVER fear leaving any of my poolrooms-is there a problem in your area of this occurring?I feel we all have the Flight/fight instinct-when adrenaline pumps, people can do amazing things:)
Carol~hmmmmmm!Hopes Slimjim is in a safe area!

Kato
12-31-2002, 07:17 AM
Like most of us I have a 10 pound pool case, wanna take a shot?

Kato

PS. I also carry a very large screw driver in my case. If I can get to it you're toast. No problems ever in any of the pool rooms I have frequented.

silverbullet
12-31-2002, 03:38 PM
Dont go in dark allies or other places where you can be penned in. Stay in the open, be aware of all that is around you and especially in dark places, under cars etc. If someone attacks me in the open, as long as they dont have a gun, that gives me a chance to get away. I can run pretty fast when I have too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bw

12-31-2002, 06:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>anything can happen anywhere at anytime-be aware of your surroundings! <hr /></blockquote>Correct. Many problems can be avoided by being aware of potential danger and giving it a wide berth. Potential assailants will notice your alertness which will tend to make them wait for an easier target.

12-31-2002, 06:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>I have a 10 pound pool case.<hr /></blockquote> Correct. Weapons may be utilized out of anything that is nearby. Be creative. <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>I also carry a very large screw driver in my case. <hr /></blockquote>Correct. Carrying a weapon is a good idea. However, it is not enough just to carry it, one must know how to use it. This will take some forethought and practice. Also, it will do no good if it cannot be reached in time. At the first sign of potential danger the screwdriver should be made handy. You may want to consider carrying something that is more handy all of the time.

12-31-2002, 06:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr> Dont go in dark allies or other places where you can be penned in. Stay in the open, be aware of all that is around you and especially in dark places. <hr /></blockquote>Correct. Consider your potential avenue of escapes wherever you are. Don't wait until you are being threatened to try to figure the best way out. Watch for this while driving also. Don't pull up so close to a stopped vehicle in front of you that you can not get out around it.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr> get away. I can run pretty fast when I have too.<hr /></blockquote>Correct. However, this idea needs to be developed furthur. The process of "just running" is more complicated than a casual thought of it implies. For instance, can you climb a fence? Have you practiced it? Also, it is difficult to run while wounded. Think of escaping in terms of evade and escape. You must evade the immediate attack, neutralize the immediate threat of injury, and then escape.

Chris Cass
01-01-2003, 07:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>
PS. I also carry a very large screw driver in my case. If I can get to it you're toast. No problems ever in any of the pool rooms I have frequented. <hr /></blockquote>

Geez Kato,

Your too nice. Your suppose to confront the guy. Not get him drunk. LOL I can see it now. Hey bud, put down the gun and lets party. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~woof woof

silverbullet
01-01-2003, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SlimJim:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr> Dont go in dark allies or other places where you can be penned in. Stay in the open, be aware of all that is around you and especially in dark places.

<hr /></blockquote>Correct. Consider your potential avenue of escapes wherever you are. Don't wait until you are being threatened to try to figure the best way out. Watch for this while driving also. Don't pull up so close to a stopped vehicle in front of you that you can not get out around it.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr> get away. I can run pretty fast when I have too.

<hr /></blockquote>Correct. However, this idea needs to be developed furthur. The process of "just running" is more complicated than a casual thought of it implies. For instance, can you climb a fence? Have you practiced it? Also, it is difficult to run while wounded. Think of escaping in terms of evade and escape. You must evade the immediate attack, neutralize the immediate threat of injury, and then escape. <hr /></blockquote>

I can climb a fence but not very fast,so it would not accomplish much to gain distance by running and then to have to climb a fence, losing what i had gained. Now I assume we are talking high fences here. 3-5 foot fences are not much of a problem, unless they have barbed wire.

As far as running while wounded, would use objects such as cars between us to slow my assailant down while I could look for a weapon. In the case where I am not able to outrun an attacker due to injury or another reason, it would be regretfully necessary to turn and fight. I guess that is why it is good to know self defense, in case that ever begins necessary.

otoh, i do not walk in closed places. It may be walking to my car in an open parking lot or walking on a street that I know well, even then do not walk where I can be closed up alone.

The thoughts of when driving are good too. It is a good idea to keep doors locked and windows up, as well as being aware of if anyone is approaching the car.

bw

Fred Agnir
01-01-2003, 05:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SlimJim:</font><hr> What are some of your favorite self-defense techniques that you employ against muggers, kidnappers, and unarmed and armed assailants etc. at and on the way to and from the pool hall, especially late at night. What kind of education and physical training do you engage in to this end? -Slim <hr /></blockquote>
Kidnappers?

Anyway, let's see. Since I checked my testosterone bag at the front desk, I'll say that running and screaming for help would be just slightly behind the strategy of handing over the money, if my life depended on it.

Fred &lt;~~~ would rather not find out

SpiderMan
01-02-2003, 02:26 AM
I carry a .40 Glock and a .357, and I live in an area where legal use of deadly force doesn't require that you be responding in kind. Here, even simple theft legally qualifies a deadly-force response AT NIGHT. The reasoning, which makes sense to me, is that a victim cannot be expected to determine the exact level of threat from his assailant when it is dark. In daylight it had better be something like aggravated robbery or, if a physical assault, such that a reasonable person would fear grave bodily injury.

Unfortunately, firearms are not allowed inside about 75% of the bars where I play pool, so I take care in walking outside and approaching my vehicle. If there are suspicious people near my truck, I stay inside until they move away. And I leave a gun where I can grab it easily once my door is unlocked.

The only formal training I've had is the classroom portion of the concealed-handgun licensing series. Practically, I've been shooting handguns since pre-teen and did pretty well in largebore speed silhouette when I was active in the sport.

SpiderMan

silverbullet
01-02-2003, 05:56 AM
I have a .40 cal glock too and a small beretta. In va it is easy to get a license to carry a gun. All you have to do is take the class and pass the shooting test and pay for the license. In Md, it is impossible to get a license.

I never felt like carrying one in my car anyway. The only time I carry one is when I go to a strange city and am staying in a hotel room by myself.

blu

TomBrooklyn
01-02-2003, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I carry a .40 Glock and a .357<hr /></blockquote>Correct! Lol. I think it's too bad more states don't have a right to carry.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>I live in an area where legal use of deadly force doesn't require that you be responding in kind (to a deadly threat)AT NIGHT. The reasoning, which makes sense to me, is that a victim cannot be expected to determine the exact level of threat from his assailant when it is dark. In daylight it had better be something like aggravated robbery or, if a physical assault, such that a reasonable person would fear grave bodily injury.<hr /></blockquote>As you say, it is important for those who own a firearm to know the law to avoid being brought up on charges themselves for using excessive force. It is also important to search one's consious and be mentally prepared to take the right course of action, be it to shoot or not to shoot, should one be placed in dire circumstances.

One matter of consious was prosaicly phrased by Clint Eastwood in the movie "High Plains Drifter". The midget, who had never handled a gun before, but was now amongst the townspeople being trained by Eastwood to ambush some expected banditos, asked Clint "What do I do after I shoot the guy?", to which the gunslinger replied: "You live with it."

-Tb

TomBrooklyn
01-02-2003, 08:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Streetwise-I would NEVER fear leaving any of my poolrooms<hr /></blockquote>Carol, how do you know some pool gang won't kidnap you coming out of a pool hall and force you to teach them how to do the 3-2-1? &lt;Lol&gt;

CarolNYC
01-02-2003, 08:32 AM
Chris,
LMAO!
Carol

Kato
01-02-2003, 10:30 AM
I've decided to kidnap Carol next time I see her. I need to lose some weight, just trying to keep up with her burns 3,000 calories a day.

Kato

SpiderMan
01-02-2003, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> One matter of consious was prosaicly phrased by Clint Eastwood in the movie "High Plains Drifter". The midget, who had never handled a gun before, but was now amongst the townspeople being trained by Eastwood to ambush some expected banditos, asked Clint "What do I do after I shoot the guy?", to which the gunslinger replied: "You live with it."
-Tb <hr /></blockquote>

Tom,

I couldn't agree more, but I'd also say you have to "live with it" if you don't shoot and the bad guy continues or escalates his criminal activity.

Last fall I drove to the other side of town for a pool tournament. I was unarmed because I'd been at work, where they don't allow us to keep our guns in the car, on pain of termination. I was running late so I didn't go to the house for my weapons.

Later that night, I stopped at a convenience store for a coke. To make a long story short, I was robbed at gunpoint outside the store. The guy was pretty slick, had a gun in my side before I could react. It was a small-frame revolver, and he held it with the trigger already pulled, his thumb holding back the hammer so that if he was jostled it would fire.

I gave him my cash, as I had always rehearsed I would do, armed or not. As he drove off, I chased him in my truck and called 911 to forward our progress to police. Had I been carrying, I had several chances to ram his car or force him off the road, but the disparity in arms kept me at a distance.

He got a little ahead of me by the time the police caught us, but I was able to identify his car which we discovered in an apartment parking lot where I was pretty certain he had turned in. The car was not his, but had been taken in an armed robbery the prior night.

Eventually the robber was caught pawning some distinctive jewelry taken from the owner of that car. This, however, was months later and he had committed over a dozen felonies by that time.

The crime for which he was tried and convicted this May involved holding his cocked revolver to the head of a four-year-old child while robbing her grandmother. They were all seated in the grandmother's car, so she made a very good eyewitness. That child, her grandmother, or any of the prior victims, could easily have been killed accidentally or on pupose because I didn't do my part to get the felon off the streets. I wouldn't have shot him unnecessarily, but I would not have let him escape and if he decided to try me it would be trouble of his own making.

SpiderMan

01-23-2003, 03:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr>In va it is easy to get a license to carry a gun. All you have to do is take the class and pass the shooting test and pay for the license. In Md, it is impossible to get a license. <hr /></blockquote>Perhaps that is one of the legacys of Virginian Thomas Jefferson who said

"Every able-bodied freeman, between the ages of 16 and 50, is enrolled in the militia... The law requires every militia-man to provide himself with the arms usual in the regular service."(1781)

and also

"...all power is inherent in the people... it is their right and duty to at all times be armed." (1824)

Some interesting thoughts on the formation of laws regarding the carrying of weapons were presented by Bernard Levine in an article published in BLADE Magazine in 1998 entitled OPPRESSIVE KNIFE LAWS. A copy of it can be found here: http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/st-opp.txt

Slim

silverbullet
01-23-2003, 06:19 AM
Thanks sj, i was just thinking about this the other day about 'the right to bare arms' and what would happen if i got arrested in md for having a gun and challenged the law in court as a violation of one of the rights in the bill of rights in our constitution...

bw

TomBrooklyn
01-23-2003, 07:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr>I was just thinking the other day about 'the right to bare arms' <hr /></blockquote>I don't think MD has any laws against bareing your arms, at least when it's warm out; but it looks like you need a licence to bear arms. www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/maryland (http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/maryland)

Maryland Requirements for Longarms/Pistolas:
Permit Reqd. to Purchase No No*
Registration of Firearms No No*
Licensing of Owners No No*
Permit to Carry No Yes

*Police record made of purchase from dealers

www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&amp;R=MD (http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&amp;R=MD)

silverbullet
01-23-2003, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the info tom.

bw

SecaucusFats
01-23-2003, 07:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SlimJim:</font><hr> What are some of your favorite self-defense techniques that you employ against muggers, kidnappers, and unarmed and armed assailants etc. at and on the way to and from the pool hall, especially late at night. What kind of education and physical training do you engage in to this end? -Slim <hr /></blockquote>

The first thing I would do is move to another town. Man if you are regularly running into muggers, kidnappers, and other bad hombres, you must really be in a bad place! I live in North Jersey and I play in Jersey (North and South), New York City (all 5 boroughs, Westchester County and Long Island). I travel by car, by bus and subway, taxi, you name it, at all hours. I have been doing this for decades, and I have never, not once, been mugged, or assaulted.

OK, So I have been kidnapped once or twice by some drunken bimbos, but I was released after they had their wicked ways with me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Who knows what evil lurks? The Fat Man do!

snipershot
01-23-2003, 08:20 PM
I have a gun holster attached to the side of my case, so I always go packing heat, it seems that everyone else is so I thought that i would even things out a bit!

Voodoo Daddy
01-26-2003, 05:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> SlimJim,
If I was in Miami-walking with Voodoo!<hr /></blockquote>

I didnt take Carol to the unsavory parts of town...hahaha. You have many choice Jim, inside your case is a great weapon, your break cue. It can be used to keep creeps at a distance and/or to disarm them. Your keys are a great defense too, carried in between your fore/middle fingers they serves as a gouging weapon if grabbed from behind.

TomBrooklyn
04-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Ok, but shoot only when neccesary or bear the Mark Of Cain.

bluewolf
04-13-2003, 07:34 AM
It is funny to see this topic up again, which was started by sj. My brother in law is here this weekend and he wanted to see my guns.

I have two. They stay unoaded because my 10yr old stepdaughter visits.About the only time I load one and take it with me is when I am traveling alone and staying in motel rooms.

In these cases, I take my glock. You dont have to be a real good shooter to use it. It is 'bam out go the lights'. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

SecaucusFats
04-13-2003, 03:18 PM

The best defense is to be smart, stay out of bad areas, and be 'street-wise'. Now as for self defense the best style for up close hand to hand combat IMO is Krav Maga. Krav Maga is the official hand to hand fighting discipline of the Israeli IDF (military). I am a former US Marine who has experience with USMC and Israeli fighting techniques.

Another thing to do is be alert to potential weapons. If your life is on the line a beer bottle a set of keys a pool cue, a pool ball most anything can serve as a weapon but you must commit to using such very quickly and violently. There are some very effective baton type weapons which are designed to spring out with a flick of a button, or in some cases just the wrist. One such type is a favorite of mine called the "Blitz" steel whip used appropriately in can devastate an attacker. Check you local ordinances to see just what is permissible in your town/county/state.

Knives are weapons of last resort in close fighting, where you know your life is at risk. In such cases a good tactical knife is literally a lifesaver. Best bet is to go for the abdomen with a thrust and then twist the blade 90 degrees and slice as far as you can in one rapid motion. This is a kiling stroke.

Guns. Since it is nearly impossible to get carry permits here in New Jersey, I don't own a hadgun. I do however have a semi auto 12 ga shotgun for home defense. If you live in a state where concealed carry is permitted then please get a complete firearms education, safety, combat shooting, aiming the works.

Fats