PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the best HUSTLES you have seen?

Predator
12-31-2002, 12:01 AM
What are some of the best HUSTLES you've ever seen used?

sack316
12-31-2002, 02:21 AM
didn't actually see this, but a friend told me about it. Dude was getting smoked in a game of 8 ball. He had I think 6 balls left and not in good shape, and the other guy was on the 8. So the guy losing says "I'll bet you $100 dollars that you won't even get another shot this game". So the guy winning saw that a runout seemed pretty well impossible from what he saw, so he took it. So the losing guy gets up to the table and shoots the 8 ball straight in the pocket to lose the game right there, therefore winning the bet as the other guy didn't get to shoot again that game. Apparently that guy got the crap beat out of him for that stunt though.

12-31-2002, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator:</font><hr> What are some of the best HUSTLES you've ever seen used?
<hr /></blockquote>

An acquaintence of mine once laid down for threee months straight in Vegas until he had weight from all the top players (whom he could probably have beat even). He then raised his stakes and only playing a little better got all the cash and moved on to Seattle. I can only assume he did this again in Washington. This took patience and willpower beyond imagination, as well as some risk. I have found as Popcorn has stated that playing your best at all times but matching up carefully is just as profitable yet much safer and professional.

Jimbo

thepoolnerd
12-31-2002, 04:12 PM
1. Cueball frozen next to the nameplate, 1 ball about three balls away frozen on the same rail, 2-ball frozen on the same rail on the other side of the cueball 3 balls away. Simply make the 1 and draw back and contact the 2. How many tries do you think you need? If you can do it on any of your first 3 tries, I'd be impressed. I'd be more impressed if you know why it can't be done easily.

2. 8 ball on the footspot, chalk balanced on top. A guy said that he could hit the cueball 5 rails and hit the 8 and not knock the chalk off. He asked three tries. I bet after he assured me there was no stupid gag involved. He needed two tries. Long rail with running english, short rail (opposite the 8), long rail, other long rail (reverse english kicks in killing the speed), short rail, click. I was glad to fork over $20. Pretty shot. Not too hard if you find your spot. Try em' out and let me know what you think.
Feel free to paypal me a portion of all your winnings or at least let me know if you got anybody on them.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-31-2002, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1. Cueball frozen next to the nameplate, 1 ball about three balls away frozen on the same rail, 2-ball frozen on the same rail on the other side of the cueball 3 balls away. Simply make the 1 and draw back and contact the 2. How many tries do you think you need? If you can do it on any of your first 3 tries, I'd be impressed. I'd be more impressed if you know why it can't be done easily.<hr /></blockquote>

Low inside english.. soft draw.. aim to compensate for the deflection/squirt.. practice and it becomes an easy shot.

thepoolnerd
12-31-2002, 05:48 PM
Have you tried it? It sounds easy; you won't know until you try it. I have tried about every way to make it and I dont think it goes. Jacking up over a ball and drawing the CB makes it jump up slightly into the rail and throws it off. BTW, are you in the Cinci 14.1 league that plays the winners of the Columbus league every year?

Predator
12-31-2002, 06:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thepoolnerd:</font><hr> Have you tried it? It sounds easy; you won't know until you try it. I have tried about every way to make it and I dont think it goes. Jacking up over a ball and drawing the CB makes it jump up slightly into the rail and throws it off. BTW, are you in the Cinci 14.1 league that plays the winners of the Columbus league every year? <hr /></blockquote>
I just tried it a few minutes ago. I got it on about my twelveth try! Since then, I've made about 7 out of fifty!
But, yea, it is hittable if you stroke it just right. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
12-31-2002, 06:39 PM
I haven't tried that particular shot. but I have made a similar shot many times. ob on the side rail between the second and third diamond.. frozen. CB on same rail.. between the 1st and 2nd diamond, frozen.. 9 ball near the corner pocket. make the ob in the far corner pocket and draw back to make the 9 on the same shot..

I will try the shot you described and let you know how I did.

Yes.. I play in the Cincinnati Straight Pool League.. and as far as I know (because I was there and help set it up) .. we (the CSPL league) only played the Columbus Straight Jackets league ONCE.. and we won..

thepoolnerd
12-31-2002, 08:03 PM
You'd be suprised how many times people will think they can make it on the first or second try. I'm in the Columbus league. I didn't play the year that we played you guys (not that I would've helped.) I'll see if our LD will set something up with your guys this year. Great league. We have 3 or 4 strong players and about 10 other guys that if they are on can play pretty good. Tough matches every week.

12-31-2002, 08:58 PM
Hey, is this the shot that can be made relatively easily with only the shaft? I don't know if we're talking about the same shot, but I've seen some players play a similar shot that will only work consistently when they unscrew and only use the shaft.

Of course, that's the hustle :-)

01-01-2003, 08:27 AM
This is a golf hustle but it falls into the good one catagory...I have won soda bets from a majoraty of high school kids that think they are long hitters off the tee.

I tell them they can go hit a drive off the first tee. I will hit a drive off the first tee...They won't be able to hit there second drive past my first....They "always" ask if they can tee up there second drive...(sure they can)....They will never win the bet though....and no this is not the Tin Cup hustle, but it is similar.....

The other one is.... I will play golf against "any" two players...They can play a "scramble" or "best shot" ...I play only one ball, but I get one "throw" per hole...They usually quit after the second hole......(any takers?????)

Ken
01-01-2003, 08:54 AM
Hit your drive in the opposite direction. He could hit his first drive a few feet and then beat yours in whatever direction you go.
KenCT

01-01-2003, 11:01 AM
Good Man....Did you figure out the other one???

Ken
01-01-2003, 11:26 AM
If one "throw" means you can pick the ball up and throw it without it counting as a stroke that would be a one stroke advantage in most holes since it would usually mean one less putt. Since most holes usually require at least 2 putts you would have about an 18 stroke advantage per round which would be enough to beat most pros it you have at least some skill.
KenCT

01-01-2003, 12:09 PM
Ya missed on that one

Actually two "pros" would shoot 12-13 under....That would be very tough to beat....

The hustle is that you pick up "thier" ball and throw it out of bounds....They have to go back to the tee and replay hitting three. They will never get anything better than a bogey...if you can shoot better than 85 you can't lose...

Ken
01-01-2003, 01:10 PM
That's a good one. It is subject to rules interpretation, however. If you throw their best ball out of bounds they might insist the the other ball then becomes "best" and they play that one.

Don't hit any of yours into the woods; you might come out on a stretcher.
KenCT

Fred Agnir
01-01-2003, 01:36 PM
I guess I've waited long enough for SmorgassBored (aka Tampa Tubby Bob) to respond, so I'll link one of his classic stories.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;selm=6552-38C4FA66-9%40storefull-124.iap.bryant.webtv.net

Enjoy.

Fred

Fred Agnir
01-01-2003, 01:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thepoolnerd:</font><hr> 1. Cueball frozen next to the nameplate, 1 ball about three balls away frozen on the same rail, 2-ball frozen on the same rail on the other side of the cueball 3 balls away. Simply make the 1 and draw back and contact the 2. How many tries do you think you need? If you can do it on any of your first 3 tries, I'd be impressed. I'd be more impressed if you know why it can't be done easily.<hr /></blockquote>

This reminds of a story. It's not all that interesting, but I needed to share as part of my ongoing psycho-therapy. I've got the psycho part nailed.

Anyway, this particular shot described by thepoolnerd is one of a handful of standard challenge shots that is deceptively difficult, often times impossible. I watched a former 14.1 State Champion set it up and repeatedly try to shoot it over and over, never making the proposition. After a while, I thought I'd be so bold to step up and "help him out" by telling him why it was so difficult.

"The ball is trapped under the cushion nose, and by jacking up for the draw shot, you force the cueball into the nose, and it bounds away from the cushion" says I.

He responded "I know all that , kid" with his hand gesturing me to get out of his way and sit back down.

"I know all that"? What the hell kind of an arrogant response was that? That was what I was thinking. I never did bother asking just what he was doing since he already knew that particular shot was nearly impossible and that he hadn't come close yet.

Fastforward a zillion moons. I'm going over one-rail kicks for a safety with a teamate. Out of nowhere, someone (a brand new teamate with a chip) comes up and starts to inform me of how to aim a kick shot using the mirror method. My response? You guessed it:

"I know all that" with my hand gesturing for him to step back.

What an arrogant prick.

Fred

Predator
01-01-2003, 04:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thepoolnerd:</font><hr> 1. Cueball frozen next to the nameplate, 1 ball about three balls away frozen on the same rail, 2-ball frozen on the same rail on the other side of the cueball 3 balls away. Simply make the 1 and draw back and contact the 2. How many tries do you think you need? If you can do it on any of your first 3 tries, I'd be impressed. I'd be more impressed if you know why it can't be done easily.

Thanks for the info, this shot won me $50 last night at a New Year's Eve party at the bar I play at. I practiced the shot for over an hour, before I left. I got to where I could get within a 1/16 of an inch just about every time. I was making the shot about 1/3. Some of the top shooters were out there last night, drinking, and getting cocky. When they were about 10, or 12 feet away, I had my friend set the shot up for me and we acted like he was challenging me to attemt the shot. I shot it a few times, missing on purpose, but getting very close each time, and finally completing the shot. They were watching us at the time, and after I made the shot, I went over to them bragging about making the shot and winning some money. One of them said "What, you won money for just drawing the ball a little over a foot on the rail?" I said yes. He said "Big @#$%ing deal." I said, I bet you fifty you can't do it! He jumped up to the table and I said I'll give you 3 tries. He said "Whatever", and missed horribly 3,4,5,6,7, tries. I won $50, and he wouldn't stop attemping to make the shot all night and into the morning! His New Years Eve was spent trying to make a shot he had no idea how to accoplish. Thanks for the tip. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
2. 8 ball on the footspot, chalk balanced on top. A guy said that he could hit the cueball 5 rails and hit the 8 and not knock the chalk off. He asked three tries. I bet after he assured me there was no stupid gag involved. He needed two tries. Long rail with running english, short rail (opposite the 8), long rail, other long rail (reverse english kicks in killing the speed), short rail, click. I was glad to fork over $20. Pretty shot. Not too hard if you find your spot. Try em' out and let me know what you think.
Feel free to paypal me a portion of all your winnings or at least let me know if you got anybody on them. <hr /></blockquote>

jjinfla
01-01-2003, 04:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thepoolnerd:</font><hr> 1. Cueball frozen next to the nameplate, 1 ball about three balls away frozen on the same rail, 2-ball frozen on the same rail on the other side of the cueball 3 balls away. Simply make the 1 and draw back and contact the 2. <hr /></blockquote> I tried it this morning and didn't come clsoe the first five tries and then made it 3 in a row, but only 2 or 3 in the next ten. But came close. For me it takes careful aim on the OB and a nice smooth draw stroke.

Here is one I saw Scotty Townsend offering: OB a couple inches from side pocket, CB 18 inches or so away at about a 45 degree angle. Object is to make the OB in corner pocket without scratching. it looks impossible but Scotty can do it. I have no idea how to do it. Jake~~~well, I do have an idea, I just can't seem to do it.

thepoolnerd
01-02-2003, 07:24 AM
Nice job. Good way to start a new year, eh? The way to avoid the scrtach on the other shot is to jack up a little and hit it hard so the cueball is airborne and it hits the top of the pocket back and pops out. I can't shoot it very well. Also when cutting a ball with a cueball that is airborne, you need a slightly fuller hit. Try the other shot too. If you shoot it about 20 times and listen to the sound of the CB hitting the rails. It will give a feel for the speed that you need. I made it three times in a row. On my table the CB is about 9" off the rail at the second diamond, and I shoot right at the 2nd diamond diagonally across the table with running english.

Kato
01-02-2003, 07:29 AM
#2 was a shot on the Artistic Pool World Championships or something. They were doing it in the pool room the next day.

Kato

01-02-2003, 10:16 AM
Find some dupe in a sports bar, and tell him you want to try an experiment, then grab a glass of water or beer, or whatever and a pool cue. Get on a chair and ask the guy to hold the cuestick up against the bottom of the glass to keep it against the roof while you climb down.

Say thanks, and walk away. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Perk
01-02-2003, 10:30 AM
LOL...i am still laughing at the thought of it....better use a beer can as to not get barred from your fav sports bar!

snipershot
01-02-2003, 03:07 PM
A friend of mine showed me this one last week and it also cost me $10. The 1ball and the 2ball are frozen together in the middle of the end rail, he then stacks the 3ball on top of these two balls and it is also on top of the rail. After getting this awkward setup to stand up he sets the CB at the other end of the table as if he was going to break. He tells me he can hit the 3ball without hitting the 1 or the 2ball, without any of the balls leaving the table, and without jumping the CB. He then goes down to hit the CB, he strikes it lightly but with enough speed towards the three balls, before the CB can make it to the balls he slams his fist down on the table very hard causing the the three ball rack to fall apart, the 3ball falls down pushing the 1 and 2ball to the side cushions as the CB contacts the 3ball.

Rod
01-02-2003, 03:54 PM
No# 1 isn't an easy shot especially if the cloth is old. Just for reference the set up distance between both o/b's is 7 ball widths which includes the c/b in the center? I've shot similar and the stroke needs to be as smooth as possible.

jjinfla
01-02-2003, 07:39 PM
I was shown that shot (5 -rail) about a year ago and tried it a few times but only came close. Haven't tried it since. Maybe tomorrow - if I remember.

Predator
01-02-2003, 11:40 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, keep them hustles coming!
I really appreciate all the help. I've already used a few to make a little money. Keep'm comin'! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Predator
01-05-2003, 05:06 PM
C'mon guys, don't stop now! Let's got a few more good
hustles in here before we call it quits! Thanks a lot!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator:</font><hr> C'mon guys, don't stop now! Let's got a few more good
hustles in here before we call it quits! Thanks a lot!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Alright, alright.. here is one that noone ever figures out unless they know it.

place the cueball against the short rail, and beforehand, take all the chalk off the table and get rid of any chalk that is close by. Find someone and tell them you bet they can't run around the table 3 times, and shoot the cueball so it touches the other end rail.

Grab a bar cue and tell them they have to use this cue, and hold it for them as they run around the table.. but wet the tip while they're not looking.

when they get ready to shoot tell them to hurry! You have to do it fast! and you should hear the familiar sound of "tink!" miscue, as the cueball rolls about 2".

01-05-2003, 06:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Predator:</font><hr> Thanks for all the info guys, keep them hustles coming!
I really appreciate all the help. I've already used a few to make a little money. Keep'm comin'! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

here's a good one thats good for some $ or beer.

Tell someone you can make 3 balls in one shot, and the cueball will end up EXACTLY where it started.

Then, when you've found your sucker, set up the shot like this:

START(
%AC2G3%BC2D8%Cc4G7%PC2F1%WD7D4%Xb7G6

)END

It may take practice before you go out to use it.. try to get the two ball to bank down the table. The rest is easy. Collect yer money and get a beer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

01-06-2003, 05:16 PM
here is another good one...

lay out 3 or 4 balls on the table, put them anywhere... the easier the shots, the better the trick, but people get more suspicious...

anyway, bet your mark that he/she can't make all the balls on the table without scratching... the easier you lay out the shots, the quicker they realize its a trick.. unless they're a real good mark /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

anyway, let them make the shots... they will probably take their time, unless their cocky. most people i have done this too actually have scratched, even though they're good enough not to... when they finish, and look at you for the payout, look at the table and mention that they still have one ball(whitey) left, the bet was to make "all the balls on the table" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

watch out, some people get real mad... i got a vendor at a boardwalk-billiards challenge booth to accept this "challenge". mostly as a gag. so all these people are watching, the same people he's ripping off with his $5 for 3 tries to pocket all 3 balls on the break(3 ball rack)with some crappy house cue and tight pockets. so anyway, all these people are gathered around b/c I bet him he "couldn't even just make all those balls without scratching". so he figured i was just some smart ass kid and he was gonna "show me" how good of a pool player he was (he missed twice, btw)... so when he finished, the whole crowd looked at me, like i was some idiot for "betting" him, and i point out, casually, that he still has a ball left on the table, and he bet he could make all of them ... i think the crowd enjoyed it a whole lot more than he did when he heard the "trick". oh well, i guess thats why you always think twice.

9 Ball Girl
01-06-2003, 11:46 PM
Here's one. We'll use the 8 and 9 ball for this example:

1. At the head rail, set the 8 ball up on one corner pocket and the 9 ball on the other corner pocket so that they are dead. So dead that you can blink and they'll fall in.

2. Grab a house cue and lay it on top of the table so that it rests against both balls.

3. Place the cue ball in the kitchen.

4. Tell whoever "I bet I can make the 8 ball in the right pocket, the 9 ball in the left pocket, and then I'll make the cue ball in the left pocket too."

5. Whoever will probably say, "yeah right."

6. Okay, shoot the cueball into the house cue so that you hit it square in the middle. The 8 and 9 are dead so of course they're going to drop just like you said.

7. The cueball obviously isn't going to go in the left pocket. So you have to grab your cueball and stuff in your left pants pocket!

Wendy~~guilty of not reading the whole thread. my apologies if this has already been mentioned

Rod
01-07-2003, 12:44 AM
Wendy,
Mosconi may have been the one that started that. What he did was put balls around the left side pocket to block it. Then he says c/b in the left side pocket. He shoots from the head string to the end rail with a jacked up cue. The cue ball hits the end rail and becomes airborne. He catches it and puts it in his left side suite pocket. With the big lights over the table today it can't be done. If there in the celing it's ok. I use to shoot that to slam dunk it in the side. The c/b goes abt 4 ft in the air, kind of dangerous and you need a cooperating room owner. Something to do.

Predator
01-07-2003, 05:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Here's one. We'll use the 8 and 9 ball for this example:

1. At the head rail, set the 8 ball up on one corner pocket and the 9 ball on the other corner pocket so that they are dead. So dead that you can blink and they'll fall in.

2. Grab a house cue and lay it on top of the table so that it rests against both balls.

3. Place the cue ball in the kitchen.

4. Tell whoever "I bet I can make the 8 ball in the right pocket, the 9 ball in the left pocket, and then I'll make the cue ball in the left pocket too."

5. Whoever will probably say, "yeah right."

6. Okay, shoot the cueball into the house cue so that you hit it square in the middle. The 8 and 9 are dead so of course they're going to drop just like you said.

7. The cueball obviously isn't going to go in the left pocket. So you have to grab your cueball and stuff in your left pants pocket!

Wendy~~guilty of not reading the whole thread. my apologies if this has already been mentioned <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Wendy, I couldn't believe getting two people with this hustle, at the same time! Thanks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9 Ball Girl
01-07-2003, 06:09 PM
So where's my gapper? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Predator
01-07-2003, 11:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> So where's my gapper? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I'll see what I can do, thanks babe! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif LOL

Predator
01-08-2003, 12:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thepoolnerd:</font><hr> 1. Cueball frozen next to the nameplate, 1 ball about three balls away frozen on the same rail, 2-ball frozen on the same rail on the other side of the cueball 3 balls away. Simply make the 1 and draw back and contact the 2. How many tries do you think you need? If you can do it on any of your first 3 tries, I'd be impressed. I'd be more impressed if you know why it can't be done easily.

I can't believe how many people I've got with this one in the last week. This is a helluva good one. I almost feel that I'm stealing, but, I think NAAA! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Feel free to paypal me a portion of all your winnings or at least let me know if you got anybody on them. <hr /></blockquote>