PDA

View Full Version : First 9 ball tournament, review of performance

Kato
03-12-2002, 04:23 PM
Well I stunk up the joint I'll tell you. I managed to get a little sick before I played and was about as nervous as I could be sitting in the chair. I went 2 and out as a result of stupidity. I'll hopefully learn with experience. I had leads of 2-0 in a race to 7 and 4-2 in a race to 5. Both times I managed to lose it somewhere. At least I have more to work on.

I would like to thank Voodoo Daddy and Chris Cass for all of their preperation advice and promise I'll keep working to do better. I promise I can do better and I will.

Kato~~~work in progress so large I need to hire a contractor.

CarolNYC
03-12-2002, 05:22 PM
Aww-Kato,
"Experience is our excuse for our mistakes!"
Carol~no more mistakes!:)

Cuemage
03-12-2002, 08:09 PM
Kato,
I think you would find "The Pro Book" by Henning worth a read. He includes some reference sheets near the rear that addresses tournament pre-match strategy, and post-match review.

The Cuemage

03-13-2002, 12:47 AM
I'm proud of Kato. He told me last year he didnt think he was a tournament kinda guy. He jumped in the fire, tried to fight of the butterflies and will go to the next event when and where ever it is a stronger, tougher Kato.

Voodoo...has a tear of joy for Kato

CarolNYC
03-13-2002, 04:42 AM
You are saluted Kato-go gettum-remember the experience!
Carol

Chris Cass
03-13-2002, 07:32 AM
Hi Kato,
I can't begin to tell you how many times, I've been 2 and out without even been in the lead. The thing that is important is you had the gallunes to enter the event. Look at the railbirds who don't dare take that step.

You may enter 10 events and may do nothing but that isn't the issue. The issue is the rewards of joining the elite. Now, your part of the biggest band of brothers and sisters in the world. Your a player!
Best Regards,
Chris Cass~~chicks dig tournament players. bet they checked out the package, while you shot. lol

Kato
03-13-2002, 08:30 AM
For the record Chris, I was by FAR AND AWAY the best dressed guy in that field. Funny thing about the girls though. The night before there were tons of hot women in the PH. Sunday, nope. Just a bunch a scrubby looking guys who don't look like they sleep. I'm going back next year with 10 local tournaments under my belt. Every little bit helps. I know I need to get better because when I hook up with Voodoo again I don't wanna get stomped and I definitely don't want to drive 80,000 miles to play you and get creamed.

Thanks everyone for the advice and the kind words. I'll keep trying.

Kato.

BillPorter
03-13-2002, 08:52 AM
A nice show of support for your friend! We can all use a little support from time to time. I can recall getting so nervous in a tournament I wasn't even money to hit the end rail. Just have to hang in there and gain tournament experience. BTW, nice to see you posting here--haven't noticed you on this board much.

JimS
03-13-2002, 09:29 AM
I've learned to wear at least 2 band-aids somewhere on my bridge hand. After I've stunk it up I can just shake my head, point to my fingers and say "old war injury acting up".

If you played you achieved a victory over fear. Not something to take lightly.

Kato
03-13-2002, 10:14 AM
I did overcome fear, it was a win in itself for me. I'm not afraid anymore to play people I perceive as better!!!!!! I'm not afraid to plunk my money down and take a shot. And Jim, I had a blister on my stroke hand from golf the previous day and I didn't even have a bandaid on!!!!!!!!!! I'm one tough guy not to be trifled with right?

Kato~~~has a bandaid on now.

cheesemouse
03-13-2002, 12:43 PM
Kato,
Consider yourself a man of character for jumping in the deep end and managing to dog paddle back to the edge where the despicables(railbirds)live; they won't even give you a hand out but they will tell you what you did wrong. Remember them and never become them. Thank your friends for introducing you to this sweet torture and then take the mental and physical torment competing puts you through and slowly hone that feeling into the tip of a spear that you jam up your opponents a$$.........Whew, now if feel better....sorry about the literary licence......I got off on that tirade. http://dgl.microsoft.com/thumbnails/IN00/IN00435_(t).gif Welcome to the PLAYERS CLUB!!!!!!!!

Chris Cass
03-13-2002, 04:26 PM
Hi Cheesemouse,
You kill me. I luv your attitude and I think your just great.
LOL,
C.C.~~you fit in this board just perfect.

phil in sofla
03-13-2002, 04:40 PM
Maybe RJ can remind Kato that he played in another 9 ball tournament just within the last month, even if it was only a local haunt and the same bunch of usual suspects we normally find there.

I will personally remind Kato that his last match was played under conditions considerably less than ideal, with those 8-footers an enraging mix of smaller, so less power was needed, but very slow shag carpet cloth, so more power was needed. On the case ball, hill-hill, Kato under-rolled the rock, ending up with a pretty hard cut, made the nine, but then went maybe 4 rails to scratch in an impossible fashion. Had he not been relegated to the 8-footers because he went to the one-loss side, I believe his lead would have held up on the better 9-foot tables.

Harold Acosta
03-13-2002, 04:45 PM
Don't feel bad. My last tournament win was in 1991, and I'm only 42 years old! I haven't been in the money since God knows when. I have retracted from playing in many tournaments because my game is not to par. I'm truly surprised that my stench has not reached the board yet.

League play is another story, although I no longer keep my statistics. Last year I started 18-0 before losing my next 4 matches. After that I went about half and half.

I'm just not that good anymore.

Oh well, enough of this!

Chris Cass
03-13-2002, 04:47 PM
Hi Kato,
The sucking up thing still doesn't change the fact that, I'm so proud of ya brother. Take some friendly advice and play Hippy Steve first, before taking on Voodoo. Voodoo is dangerous right now. Can't ever imagine me playing him some 1 hole right now.

One of these day's we'll meet and play some. Then, I'll be the one that's impressed.
Regards,
C.C.~~talks about Kato to every single Fla women I meet. So far I haven't met one yet, but looking.

Doctor_D
03-13-2002, 07:48 PM
Would you believe?

I was playing pool three months when I entered my first WPBA Regional Tour Tournament with NEWT. Talk about going from the frying pan into the blast furnace.

Dr. D.

03-14-2002, 02:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Harold Acosta:</font><hr> My last tournament win was in 1991, and I'm only 42 years old! I haven't been in the money since God knows when. I have retracted from playing in many tournaments because my game is not to par.

I'm just not that good anymore.

Oh well, enough of this!

<hr></blockquote>

harold, i'm almost 15 years older than you and am just now, barely, beginning to wonder if the ravages of time will prevent me from becomming as good as i feel i can be. am i still gettin better? right now, the answer is yes! i'm absolutely better than i was a year ago and i'm getting closer to actually having a game. that's good enough for me. i do think i need more table time to keep up with the kids.

you are not old enough to decide that your best shootin years are behind you. that's one of the best things, you can beat the heck out of kids at an 'athletic' endeavour well into your later years.

and it's legal (mostly).

dan

Chris Cass
03-14-2002, 05:57 AM
Dan,
I swore up and down to Jim S. in Burlington that you were about 35 yrs old. You sure sound way younger than what your saying you are. I still don't believe it. Your totally with it brother.
Regards,
C.C.~~ran around asking everyone in Burlington, did you ever hear of Earl's? lol

Kato
03-14-2002, 09:35 AM
Don't be proud 'till I win a match Chris. When I reach my first goal then we can all rejoice. What Phil declines to tell you is that I threw away a 4-2 on the shag carpeted 8 footers. While I was at a disadvantage because my opponent knew the tables (obviously) better than did I but he still had to play on the same equipment. I wasn't mentally strong enough and that is what everyone is pounding me with. I need to be meaner, tougher, and stronger. I need to control my body language, my mind, and my stroke.

Kato~~~doesn't count the little tournament as being a tournament.

JimS
03-14-2002, 09:47 AM
IT WAS A TOURNAMENT.

03-14-2002, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> .~~ran around asking everyone in Burlington, did you ever hear of Earl's? lol <hr></blockquote>

i think we decided it was the palace and that earl was working there at the time. being a kid, i assumed that since he took the money, he was the owner. really appreciate you guys doin the detective work from 1500 miles away.

as to the matter of age, i suspect tom t. hall had it about right with, "younger women, older whiskey, more money" (and, he didn't add, a faster bike. rud'n, rud'n)

dan

Kato
03-14-2002, 01:56 PM
I suppose you are correct Jim. I guess the zero entry fee through me off. The TD in that tournament puckered me up by putting me on the toughest table in Florida. By the end of my first match I was missing balls by 2 diamonds. Sadly I allowed the weakened state of my brain stem to allow me to lose to a woman that couldn't make 2 balls in a row. I had try to put that out of my mind until you guys peeled the scab back.

Kato~~~wounded

Chris Cass
03-15-2002, 07:57 AM
Kato,
It doesn't matter to me wether it was a small tourney or large. 9 ft. 8 ft. or anything else. Win or lose, to a woman, man or the other kind. I'm always going to be in your corner because your my friend. I'm proud of you because you tried. It took guts, desire, and heart, to share it with all of us. The ability to take a loss on the chin and go back for more, is what we all on the CCB share.

Your friend to the end,
C.C.~~would rack for RJ any day of the week......