PDA

View Full Version : Break Rak review

Paul_Mon
12-31-2002, 01:41 PM
I was recently given a Break Rak by its inventor Charlie Bond. Over at the AZ Billiards message board Charlie and I got into a spirited discussion over the merits of the Break Rak. Site unseen I told him my thoughts about the Break Rak. At the time I doubted that the Break Rak would be a useful tool in developing a consistent break. I also felt that the cost of a Break Rak was extremely high and that for my money I would rather pay someone to rack real balls for me. I told Charlie that I would never consider buying one without first trying it out. He graciously agreed to send me one free of charge to experiment with.

First of all you need to know that the Break Rak is a training aid that develops cue ball control when using a hard break. It will not give you any feedback as to how the balls spread. It sole purpose is to provide feedback on where the cue ball ends up after breaking a rack of 9 balls. To that end the Break Rak is a complete success, IMO. I can say with complete honesty that I have better cue ball control after using the Break Rak for one week. I used it about ½ hour the first time I set it up and again for about 20 minutes later that day. Each day since I’ve used it about 15 minutes per day.

The next day I brought it to the pool hall and it met with mixed reviews. The counter man and another player believed that it would benefit their breaking ability. Neither one of them or I think that anyone would rent it for use at the pool hall. Most pool players believe that they “know it all” and any invention of this kind is a gimmick. In my initial conversation with Charlie I called this product a gimmick too. My thinking now is that the Break Rak is indeed a gimmick, but not in a negative way.

In today’s global marketplace we see new gimmicks all the time. Some of us buy them and love them others sit back and settle for the status quo. I own one of pools most expensive gimmicks the Predator 314 shaft. Golf is full of swing aids and training devices. Pool is long over due for a truly effective break training device and the Break Rak meets that need. It is now up to the marketplace to decide if the Break Rak is worth the price. I’ll not quote the retail price here as it may have changed since it was first introduced. Charlie will be in Valley Forge this March demonstrating and selling Break Rak’s.

In closing I want to acknowledge Charlie as a gentleman who proudly stood behind his product and its merits. I admire his ingenuity for a well-conceived product and wish him success with his business

Happy New Year to all

Paul Mon

Tom_In_Cincy
12-31-2002, 01:49 PM
Paul, what is the price?
Were there any problems at all?

Good write up.. did you have to send it back?

Harold Acosta
12-31-2002, 01:55 PM
Any website that promotes the product?

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Rich R.
12-31-2002, 01:55 PM
Paul, please tell us, would you or did you buy it?

12-31-2002, 02:11 PM
paul, excellent review. thanks for taking the trouble to do it.

when i looked at a picture of the device it occured to me that the bungee cords could provide some excitment in the case of a miscue by sending the ball back at the shooter. i doubt you miscue much but...

does that happen???

dan

Fred Agnir
12-31-2002, 02:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Harold Acosta:</font><hr> Any website that promotes the product?
<hr /></blockquote>

Would you believe:

http://www.breakrak.com/

Fred

wolfsburg2
01-01-2003, 09:30 AM
very interesting. how much?

Paul_Mon
01-01-2003, 02:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> paul, excellent review. thanks for taking the trouble to do it.

when i looked at a picture of the device it occured to me that the bungee cords could provide some excitment in the case of a miscue by sending the ball back at the shooter. i doubt you miscue much but...

does that happen???

dan <hr /></blockquote>

Dan,
I haven't miscued yet. I did hit one on purpose at about 2 rail speed into the bungee. It jumped the table.

Paul

Paul_Mon
01-01-2003, 02:39 PM
I didn't have any problems setting it up. The fiberglass rods slip into a piece of PVC pipe (3 sizes for different table widths). The bunge cord also is adjustable for location via hand tightened clamps on the rods. The only adjustment that was not explained in the literature was how tight to make the bungee. I started loose and tightened until the ball reaction seemed most realistic. I've sent a note to Charlie 3 days ago asking him how tight it needed to be but as yet haven't got the reply.

I'm not sure if I'm going to buy it or not. I enjoy 9 ball and do play it some but 1 pocket is my game of choice. I will be bringing the Break Rak back to the pool hall prior to the weekly 9 ball tournament for more evaluation.

Paul

ceebee
01-17-2003, 08:39 PM
Thanks Paul for your comments. I appreciate your comments, especially since you are NUETRAL to my interests.

I initially designed the BreakRAK for my use alone. The folks I play pool with soon noticed a big difference in my game. All of a sudden I had a good solid break to go with my capacity as a shotmaker &amp; position player... I was at last a contender. Then my friends found out about the BreakRAK &amp; wanted one. Then their friends wanted one too. So as a 60 year old man that needed something to do, I started the BreakRAK LLC.

I designed the BreakRAK to give the player a chance to practice the Break Shot repetitiously. Repetition is the key for learning to doing things well. Guitar players, Golf players, Tennis players, typists... actually any activity that requires great coordination. Now a pool player can practice the one shot that is different from the basic shot &amp; practice it with repetition. If you think the Pros have great Break Shot control, map the cue ball location off the snap in a tournament or match, &amp; see what happens.

The SOFT BREAK players do much better with cue ball control, but they too can benefit from the BreakRAK. I use the BreakRAK to practice that Break Shot about half the time. Professional players can benefit from using the BreakRAK as a time saver &amp; quick check of their stroking. But, Developing players can derive a great amount of benefit from this Training Aid.

The BreakRAK is in several Pool Halls &amp; is doing well as a rental. It also serves as a BREAK SHOT tool for Fast Break contests (using the Radar Gun)... great practice tool for pre-tournament warm up...

Any of you players that have questions about my BreakRAK... just send me an email off the website www.breakrak.com (http://www.breakrak.com) Thanks again Paul... Charley