PDA

View Full Version : Need help with gameroom

Cuemage
12-31-2002, 08:33 PM
Hi everyone,

Well, we finally bought a house & I can't wait to convert the garage into a gameroom! I'm lookin for any info that might be helpful. My garage is an extended doublewide, so I have plenty of room. I've already decided on a regulation size Diamond as the table. Have u guys come across any articles that describe how to/how much etc?

Thanks a lot & I hope all ur New Years Wishes come true! I'm 1 step closer to mine.

Tha Cuemage

Tom_In_Cincy
12-31-2002, 10:26 PM
Congrats Cuemage.. sorry I don't have any info to pass on for you new year's project.

I just like hearing good happy ending stories about good pool players getting what the deserve..

01-01-2003, 08:05 AM
Don't know how much room you have, ..To be comfortable you will probably need 16' x 20'....you can get away with a little less, but I would not advise it...

I saw a pretty cool idea if you have the room....I call it the phantom garage...You leave the garage door there and about 3 feet in you put up a wall...now you have your 4 walled room that you want and you can insulate it carpet it etc any way you want...on the external side of the wall you are left with a storage space....You can also get away with this if you live in an area that has the dreaded "association" The see the garage door still there and will assume you have done nothing to it

Rich R.
01-01-2003, 08:34 AM
Regarding the conversion of the garage into a game room, use the basic rule of thumb for estimating costs for any home construction project. Consider the cost of all factors, including materials, labor and contractor costs, them multiply by 2. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Fred Agnir
01-01-2003, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cuemage:</font><hr> Hi everyone,

Well, we finally bought a house &amp; I can't wait to convert the garage into a gameroom! I'm lookin for any info that might be helpful. My garage is an extended doublewide, so I have plenty of room. I've already decided on a regulation size Diamond as the table. Have u guys come across any articles that describe how to/how much etc?

Thanks a lot &amp; I hope all ur New Years Wishes come true! I'm 1 step closer to mine.

Tha Cuemage <hr /></blockquote>

A couple things to consider. Insulation and level floor.

Most garages are not level for drainage purposes, at least in the northeast. Putting a table in there can lead to some interesting stances after you level the table. The floor height might be different by several inches. If you decide to re-level the garage, then you (or the future owner) may be stuck with a major headache to get it back to garage codes if needed.

Also all pool tables really need to be in a decent environment. My garage would have to undergo some serious insulation and heating for it to be viable. If you were in, say, San Diego, this might not be a problem. In the northeast... problem. In a humid state, ... problem.

It's all do-able, as others have done it.

Fred

John in NH
01-01-2003, 12:11 PM
Hi Cuemage,

I'm also in the process of adding a pool table to my home, I've decided to convert our fourth bedroom, bath into a play room (located in basement) final result of demolishing the wall in bedroom and bathroom would be a play room which is 26'L x 16'W the kids have left the nest and the bedroom has been vacant for some time.

When I attended the US Open pool tournament in Chesapeake, VA, the tournament sponsors were offering a deal on Diamond tables $4000 each (retail $6500), I considered purchasing one at that time, the same deal is being offered in January, 2003 at the Holiday Inn in Chesapeake, VA for the same price, but you must pay for shipping $400 to $600) and installation, you can find out more by inquiring at the Q-Masters web site.

Good luck,

Happy New Year,

John

Fred Agnir
01-01-2003, 12:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Richard Cranium:</font><hr> I saw a pretty cool idea if you have the room....I call it the phantom garage...You leave the garage door there and about 3 feet in you put up a wall...now you have your 4 walled room that you want and you can insulate it carpet it etc any way you want<hr /></blockquote>
IMO, this is the way to do it. Reselling the house will be much easier when the time comes. Leave all the tracks in place, and just decorate them as seen with HVAC ductwork in trendy locales.

Fred

Paul_Mon
01-02-2003, 09:39 AM
I converted my basement into a pool room. This required the removal of a support post and adding a second support beam. I've save the details of that job to a word document if anyone is interested.

Paul

AustinFilAm
01-02-2003, 11:01 AM
I also converted my 22'x 24'garage into a gameroom. Lucky for me it was a side entry garage w/ two big windows in front. I left the garage door in place, took off the ceiling tracks, installed heavy insulation and sheetrock over the garage door. I even installed an additional double door and it made it look like a real instead of a converted gameroom. The difference in floor level didn't matter much with the way I positioned the table. The GC was perfect for this since you could adjust the leg base without using shims. Hopefully this is the same with the Diamonds. A window AC and a room heater cools/heats the room sufficiently. Install thick padding with the carpet. It helps when you shoot barefoot for hours. Congratulations and enjoy your new gameroom!!!!

Happy New Year to all CCB'ers.

Angelo

Scott Lee
01-02-2003, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> In a humid state, ... problem.

Fred<hr /></blockquote>

Fred...My buddy in Lafayette, LA (a VERY humid place) recently converted his 2-car garage into a fine-looking poolroom. The humidity is not a factor, as the dehumidifier works well to keep things dry. You just have to empty it out once a day.

Scott