PDA

View Full Version : What is a RAILBIRD ?

bigbro6060
12-31-2002, 09:15 PM
This is another term i don't know what it means

I thought a railbird was some kind of 'Pool groupie'. a girl who hangs around pool halls and 'gives it up' to the best players.

i'm wrong aren't i ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
12-31-2002, 09:30 PM
Here in the States.. a "railbird" is a person that watches a money match.

"Sweaters".. people that gamble on the players and sit and 'sweat' the outcome, watch the match can be considered "railbirds" also.

Karatemom
01-01-2003, 02:00 AM
Here in the midwest, our railbirds sit and watch any game, whether there are stakes or not, and make their opinions known to all before, during, and after the match. Some know better, keep their mouth shut and watch the game, but not most. They just love to sit by your table and criticize each and every shot, but almost always have an excuse why they're not at the table playing.

Heide ~ we've got more railbirds than crows out here

Chris Cass
01-01-2003, 06:32 AM
Hi Bro,

A Railbird is a one who never misses and gets perfect position on every shot. LOL Well, we're all railbirds every now and then but the term is used more as an insult than a compliment.

Regards,

C.C.

Sid_Vicious
01-01-2003, 10:16 AM
I'd say that a railbird is one who watches players play, knows enough about the game to be critical and may offer that advisary commentary vocally, or may be the polite kind and save it till later. All in all, railbirds are basically you and me, watching instead of playing...sid

Fran Crimi
01-01-2003, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> Here in the midwest, our railbirds sit and watch any game, whether there are stakes or not, and make their opinions known to all before, during, and after the match. Some know better, keep their mouth shut and watch the game, but not most. They just love to sit by your table and criticize each and every shot, but almost always have an excuse why they're not at the table playing.

Heide ~ we've got more railbirds than crows out here <hr /></blockquote>

Heide, that's about the best description I've ever seen of a railbird. Here in the East, railbirds are considered the bottom-feeders of a pool room.

I think the main difference between railbirds and sweaters is that a railbird is just looking for entertainment. But a sweater is rooting for someone in a big way and experiences emotional highs and lows as the match progresses...not like dollar-better railbirds, and can be someone like a stakehorse or close friend or relative, or S.O. or fan of a particular player.

Fran