PDA

View Full Version : If You Felt Inferior...

Sid_Vicious
12-31-2002, 10:41 PM
It's maybe difficult to paint an accurate enough picture here, but I saw a money player/friend rolling into a win tonight, and then the other guy(a familiar face to my friend without doubt) start up a chat with him. Almost immediately the tide changed and then the set ended with the cash going into the talker's pocket. As I said it may be difficult to accurately paint this picture, still I wanted to cruise down and say "Man, you were on top until you joked and broke concentration."

Do it?? Don't do it??? Find a better time???? This friend is a stronger player than I by a fair margin, especially in the money game, but he DOES lose matches he shouldn't lose. I just don't want to be feeling like I'm giving low class advice...sid

snipershot
12-31-2002, 11:28 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif It depends on wheter or not your friend would be willing to listen and take your advice even though he's a superior pool player. Use your judgement to determine if he would listen. If he won't then just don't mention it to him. If he does tell him straight up that he should pay attention at least in money games. If he doesn't listen, I guess he's just gonna have to learn the hard way the next time he plays a big money game and loses concentration.

jjinfla
01-01-2003, 08:15 AM
Hey Sid, How many times have you heard someone say, or you said, "you have a nice run going"? Think it is said as a pure compliment? Or maybe to break the person's concentration? What might seem obvious to you might be missed by your friend and he doesn't realize he has been had. If he is your friend why not point out the obvious to him. Perhaps your friend started feeling sorry for the other guy. If that's the case he shouldn't be gambling. Jake

wolfsburg2
01-01-2003, 08:57 AM
i absolutely hate when someone say something when you are on the 6th or 7th ball in an 8ball game. totally trying to break concentration. i don't acknowledge them. even whe i am with friends, when i am in a run, i do not acknowledge "nice shot", or any of that, head down, focus. tell your friend, if he is making a mistake that is costing him money i am sure he will want to know. tell him to take the attitude that there will be plenty of time to talk after the money game. maybe his problem is that he does not recognize the difference of a money game and a friendly match.

nmshooter
01-01-2003, 09:08 AM
There was this guy that used to play in some of the tourneys I used to run when I lived in Vegas. These were just small bar room tournaments but one of the guys that played used to have the same thing happen to him so he started placing a little cd/radio/cassette (not sure which) player tucked inside his pockets. He would then run the wires up the back of his shirt and place the little tiny earbuds inside his ears. He would turn on some jazz music and proceed to beat the tar out of people.

Sid_Vicious
01-01-2003, 10:05 AM
This brings up a topic I always wondered about, that being the acceptance of personal music during one's pool matches. I personally would like two things with this, one is the fact that I could tune out distractions and the next is the music would be everything I like. I've stood back from even trying it though cuz it seems rude to the opponent,,,is this a valid concern? How many here would find it annoying to have someone using their own music, as long as they could still hear a foul being called???sid