PDA

View Full Version : Your Definition "How Long Have You Been Playing"

Sid_Vicious
01-01-2003, 09:19 AM
I was asked the question of how long I had been playing the game yesterday and as usual I had to divide my answer into categories of skill level, beginning in the childhood days on the Sears composite table. Tell me, shouldn't there be some kind of benchmark as to when you can actually say that you have been playing pool? I have a friend who automatically says he's been "doin' this" for 40 years, and I won't argue with him but yet wonder if his game was noteworthy for all of those years(hell I've been "doin' this" for 40 years too but ain't saying that outloud.) How would you define this question, if you had to give an absolute number of years???sid

Btw, This isn't an issue with the friend's statement mentioned in this post, just a curious question about one's billiard longevity. sv

Tom_In_Cincy
01-01-2003, 12:14 PM
Sid,
Interesting perception..

I started playing when I was 17 and played almost daily for about 5 years. I cut back when I started college. I only played about once a week.

I really started playing seriously when I was in my 30s and have been playing regularly (at least once a week) for the last 20 years.

I just turned 55, and like your friend would say.. I've been playing for almost 40 years.. but just seriously the last 20

Fred Agnir
01-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Interesting question. I mean, if someone's been playing crappy pool for 40 years, does that really mean anything? I usually say I started at 14, but I really didn't fall in love with the game until I was 16, and I really wasn't able to play a lot until I was 18. I didn't become a top local player unitl I was 20. Didn't take a lesson 'til 22. Didn't play anyone of any significance until I was 28. Didn't take BCA professional lessons 'til I was 34. And today, I still have little clue as to what I'm doing, so I guess I'm still at zero years.

OTOH, I bought my first cue and gaudy cue case at 18, so I think that must mean I've been at least blowing money on this game since then.

Does that help?

Fred

wolfsburg2
01-01-2003, 12:33 PM
i will say one year for me. that is saying that i have played at least once a week for the past year. i bought a cue shortly after i started playig and try to play 3 times a week if i can.

silverbullet
01-01-2003, 05:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr> i will say one year for me. that is saying that i have played at least once a week for the past year. i bought a cue shortly after i started playig and try to play 3 times a week if i can. <hr /></blockquote>

I played twice a week on the average for three years, including the time I put on my own pool tablel up until august. Then I took my first lesson with scott lee, learned a lot and started practicing everyday. Then in Oct I went to randy g pool school, learned some more stuff, got motivated somemore and continued to practice everyday.

And I practiced a lot everyday until I got sick, and then I could just get outta bed for about 30 minutes a day so that is how much I played. Surprising I did not lose a heck of a lot so am back on the horse will drills n stuff now.

blu

snipershot
01-02-2003, 03:09 AM
I think that how long you've been playing pool should be defined by how long you have been regularly playing the game or playing it seriously for. Lot's of people play the game casually but don't consider them to be pool players. It's hard to give a really specific answer to this because it can be a pretty vague question.

9 Ball Girl
01-02-2003, 10:25 AM
I, too, have to divide it.

I started playing at the age of 7. Something about that big green table with the colorful balls on it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif My dad used to teach me back then but then I stopped when he used to try to make me stay down 'til the cue ball stopped. I thought it was some sort of punishment. Goes to show you how much I knew then.

Then I started playing at the age of 17 everyday for about 4 - 5 hours straight. My attitude back then was that no one could beat me. My positioning was okay but I was a hell of a shot maker. Sigh. If I only knew the people I know now back then. I stopped playing at the age of 21-22 'cause the guy I was dating didn't like that all I wanted to do was play pool. And I always beat him! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I picked it up again at the age of 27 and have been playing seriously since. I'm 29 now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The Rhino Chaser
01-02-2003, 01:38 PM
I've been playing since 1993 but only during Oct thru Nov. The past three years been even less. Once the golf courses are open that's were you'll find me.

Rod
01-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Hi Sid,
My view is your not a pool player, or let me word that slightly different. I don't consider myself a pool player unless I play "at least" 4 times a week. Playing once a week for a number of hours doesn't qualify. That's just like a golfer that plays once a week. Four 2hr+ sessions or practice is far better than one 8-10 hour day. Having said that I haven't considered myself as playing the game for 3 years. If I use that as my guide line then I'm into it for appx 25 years. When in fact I've played a lot more for several hours a day 5 or more days every week. For those that play once a week or so then they have a different standard. So I guess we set our own standard and that usually shows up in ability.

Scott Lee
01-02-2003, 04:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I was asked the question of how long I had been playing the game yesterday and as usual I had to divide my answer into categories of skill level, beginning in the childhood days on the Sears composite table. Tell me, shouldn't there be some kind of benchmark as to when you can actually say that you have been playing pool? I have a friend who automatically says he's been "doin' this" for 40 years, and I won't argue with him but yet wonder if his game was noteworthy for all of those years(hell I've been "doin' this" for 40 years too but ain't saying that outloud.) How would you define this question, if you had to give an absolute number of years???sid

Btw, This isn't an issue with the friend's statement mentioned in this post, just a curious question about one's billiard longevity. sv <hr /></blockquote>

sid...I usually just look at my watch and say, "About 20 minutes!" LOL

But seriously, that is an excellent philosophical question about poolplayers...because there are definitely two different camps on the issue: The ones who feel like you MUST strive to be better (or the best...whatever) for as long as you play (and therefore seeks out further education); and then there are those who just PLAY pool, without regard to ever really gaining much insight, but just enjoying the click of the balls. I have met many people who, even after playing for 50 years or more, still had no real understanding of the game...but they still loved to play. I think most of us here are the "type A's" that are always seeking more knowledge and better execution, throughout our 'pool lives'! However, your friend, who would seem, from your post, to be more the "type B" player (has played for a long time, but can't REALLY play...for whatever reason), still should, imo, be able to be proud of the fact that he has "been doin' this for 40 years", and not feel guilty for saying so! Of course, if he is bragging about how 'great' he plays, and can't play...that's DIFFERENT! LOL

Scott

Scott Lee
01-02-2003, 04:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Interesting question. Didn't take BCA professional lessons 'til I was 34. And today, I still have little clue as to what I'm doing, so I guess I'm still at zero years.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

Now Fred, settle down! LOL Both Randyg and I have seen you play, and you play MUCH better than "having little clue as to what I'm doing"! Either your standards are too high, or you're ribbin' us! I vote for the latter! LOL

Scott Lee

phil in sofla
01-02-2003, 06:22 PM
I'd say whenever a person began to spend a significant amount of time at the game is when they (really) 'started' playing pool, but not necessarily much of a clue as to how long they've (really) been playing.

So many people I talk to spent a lot of time playing pool, got a high enough level of play that they never have gotten back to that level, but gave up the game for decades in the meantime before coming back to it (marriage, careers, other sports or hobbies, etc., took their interests elsewhere for long periods of time).

In my case, I played in the summer at my grandfather's table for several summers in a row as a boy, more or less gave up the game except for an occasional game in a bar for maybe 20 years, and then picked it up again maybe 6 or 7 years ago. Although I started long before then, I'd say I've been playing just these 6-7 years.

Rod
01-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Sid,
It makes you someone who devotes the hours to be a good player. Whether that time spent is productive and your improving is another issue. From my end if I play once a week my game is just fair. The more I practice/play the better it gets. It's hard to put in enough time unless your a bit burnt out, yet another issue. I'm just saying for me a few hours one day doesn't get me there. Nor would I really consider that to be included as part of my years as a player or playing pool. That was the original question. You play enough by my standard to count this time as mo/yrs played. How well would you play if you only played 1 day per week for 6 hrs? Would you consider this enough to count it part of years played if that's all you did for a year? For those that play a similar amount then that's their standard. Which is what they consider part of years played. In most cases if you compared the two, there wouldn't be much of a comparison. There is no right or wrong, just how we as individuals say how many years we have played. If I thought playing once a week or once in a while counted for me then mine would add up to near 40 years. But as I said thats not my standard.

Sid_Vicious
01-03-2003, 09:49 AM
"How well would you play if you only played 1 day per week for 6 hrs?"

Ugly if playing in anything rated above recreational.

"Would you consider this enough to count it part of years played if that's all you did for a year?"

No, not in my opinion. This is the interesting part of my reason for posting in the first place. I personally became more of a player after I joined in organized leagues and eventually the money games evolved, but I did relentlessly live on a table, day-in-day-out in the late 70s and early 80's. I'd count that time cuz I was studying as well as playing.

What I've gathered so far in the responses is that few people can quickly state an answer without explaining the time lapses. My personal feeling is that someone who literally says they've been a player for 40+ years and they are busting 60 or 70 in age is either a rare, true player(really rare) or else they are rating themselves highly for many years that doesn't count(imo.) Look at it this way though. If you and any other player is standing there, you're both asked about how long you've been playing the game, and the other guy says he's been playing the game for 40 years. If you had one single number of years to state, would you answer something in the half way level or less(if that's what you might calculate, just hypotherical, not making answering for you Rod), maybe knowing that your "game" was leaps before the other guy's?

Not everyone is the same, I know. Still this sport seems to "grow" egos, and answers (imo) maybe become fuzzy math. I do certainly agree with you Rod in the phylosophy of what's needed to be able to say you are a players for lots of years, but I'm sure that you also know people who have been playing a lot(time-days-of-week) who never get better cuz they just play, not work. Are those people players in your opinion?

Thanks for the replies,,,sid~~~carrying on a friendly discussion, that's all

Fred Agnir
01-03-2003, 10:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Not everyone is the same, I know. Still this sport seems to "grow" egos, and answers (imo) maybe become fuzzy math. <hr /></blockquote>

To me, it seems the worse a player is, the fuzzier the math gets... or the more forgetful. I forget which.

Anyway, maybe the answer is to ask "how many hours have you played in your lifetime?"

Fred &lt;~~~ running out of fingers and toes

Sid_Vicious
01-03-2003, 11:23 AM
or ask "how many hours have you played in your lifetime?"

Better yet, if each ball you've hit in your lifetime is worth even a tenth of a penny, what would you be worth today? ;-) sid

Rod
01-03-2003, 05:13 PM
If you and any other player is standing there, you're both asked about how long you've been playing the game, and the other guy says he's been playing the game for 40 years. If you had one single number of years to state, would you answer something in the half way level or less(if that's what you might calculate, just hypotherical, not making answering for you Rod), maybe knowing that your "game" was leaps before the other guy's?

Same type of senario, I have been asked the same. I don't remember exactly what I said in years. I've never answered 40 because I quit playing for some time. As I recall I was quite amazed that another replied with several years more. I guess sometimes that sets me back a step. I'm befuddled that this person does not know some elementary parts of the game. Even though this person is fairly high ranked.

Here is an example, START(
%AC7G3%PW9U9%Up4F3%VC5H8%eC2`8

)END

How was the shot made, ball first or rail first? The yellow line shows c/b direction afterwards. There is variance in this shot but if your there or not it should be known especially for someone, somewhat advanced. And this person has been playing for 20 years? Under a rock maybe, they should know this in a short time.

, but I'm sure that you also know people who have been playing a lot(time-days-of-week) who never get better cuz they just play, not work. Are those people players in your opinion?

In competition any one of them can be considered a threat if the handicap is high enough. Given that example yes I have to consider them as a player. In the true sense not really if all they do is shoot balls without being a student of the game. I know lots of low rated players because they do study the game and are willing to make a concious effort to get better. I'm not trying to belittle anyone, almost everyone who plays considers them self a player. I guess they all are to a degree, some more than others. It depends on who's guide line were using. Obviously the bangers are out of the equation.
In the end I guess it doesn't matter what I think, people can be anything they want. It's just that some have a vivid imagination. LOL