PDA

View Full Version : Question for ALL Cue Makers and Cue Repairers

MaineEAck
03-12-2002, 04:46 PM
Well, I could be 100% wrong with all of this, and If I am, please tell me! (As if you wouldn't anyway! HAHA) I have seen quite a few people doing repairs and I noticed that most Blow the mess away onto the floor or wherever. And most also have a fan( while I can imagine is for the fumes) But why just blow the mess? I have my moms vacuum down in the shop, and I just prop it up right behind the job I am doing. And it sucks up all the mess. If I miss something, then I just suck it up with the vacuum, rather then just blow it around. Am I doing something wrong? What are the advantages and disadvantages to my way? I also have a fan blowing.

Q-guy
03-12-2002, 06:13 PM
You are on the right track. A vacuum cleaner is a little hard on your ears though. It also exhausts the air back into the room so small particles get put back into the air. A vacuum cleaner filter does not trap everything. It helps if you put an exhaust hose on the vacuum and direct it outside if you can. It will also quiet it down. The same holds true with a shop-vac. You can make a simple set up using a box fan and a good filter. Position The fan blowing away from you with the filter facing you. It works pretty good. With a good blower a home built wooden box and some good filters, you can build a set up that will clean the air in the whole room. Some of the exotic woods can be toxic. I am so allergic to Cocobola if I get the dust on my skin and it stays there for any time it looks like poison ivy. It would not be a bad idea to use some of the 3M face masks when you are doing anything dusty. They are cheap and work good for dust. It is fun doing wood working but don't risk your health. Always pay complete attention to what you are doing especially around the machines. Learn as much as you can about your tools. Dennis Searing cut off a finger and it could have been worse, and he has years of experience. Good luck.

MaineEAck
03-12-2002, 09:00 PM
I do wear a mask and it works great... Thanks for the idea about the vacuum and the vent.. I will make that set up soon! Thanks A lot!

TonyM
03-13-2002, 02:05 AM
All good advice. Keep ever constant vigilance around machine tools. You can never be too safe. I cut off two fingers myself and I've been around machine tools since I was a child!

Tony
(btw, they were re-attached successfully and work fine!)

MaineEAck
03-13-2002, 07:53 AM
Ok, my dad is a 15 year machinist, he know as much about safety as I could ask for. He can help me with just about everything I need... Between the two of us we can usual figure out anything. But it is nice to know I post a question and get an answer ASAP.

TomBrooklyn
03-13-2002, 12:34 PM
Jordon:
www.woodnet.net (http://www.woodnet.net) is a great forum site for general woodworking. It doesn't have a real lot on lathes, as lathe turning is a sort of specialty in woodworking; but you could find a lot there about air filtration systems, sanding and finishing.