PDA

View Full Version : NEED Help!!

01-02-2003, 07:24 AM
Is there any way to make a pool table into a snooker table?? Is there any place that would make this kind of accessory??

Kato
01-02-2003, 07:27 AM
I wouldn't think so. Different size tables, different size and cut pockets.

Kato

cheesemouse
01-02-2003, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big E:</font><hr> Is there any way to make a pool table into a snooker table?? Is there any place that would make this kind of accessory?? <hr /></blockquote>

I've seen pooltables that were converted by adding curved extentions to the existing rails but they don't play very well with the snooker sized balls as the rails are a little high for the small snooker balls.

Ken
01-02-2003, 08:20 AM
The simplest thing to do is narrow the pockets with the devices that are spring operated and you stick in the pockets. Of course, you won't have the correct pocket contour but since you probably don't have a 12 foot table that is just another compromise you will have to live with. The cushion height will be wrong but you could at least play the game.

There are many tables that are convertible from pocket billiards to billiards without pockets and that requires a whole different set of rails to be done properly. There are inserts to put in pockets to convert a table that is a workable solution. I have not heard of a table that is convertible into snooker. You could certainly have someone make you a set of rails but that's a lot of trouble to go to. If you can get a spare set of rails they could be altered with a fair amount of work into snooker rails.

I would think that the pocket reducers could be altered to simulate a snooker profile. Mueller has them for $35 and Tommy Kennedy sells them for about $30. I would question the wisdom of putting much effort into converting a 9 foot table.
KenCT

bigbro6060
01-02-2003, 08:24 AM
Big E mate, it wouldn't be the same

two different games, two different tables

Fred Agnir
01-02-2003, 08:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr>... since you probably don't have a 12 foot table that is just another compromise you will have to live with<hr /></blockquote>
I've got a table lengthener that I'd be willing to sell.

Fred &lt;~~~ right next to the pipe &amp; wire stretcher

heater451
01-02-2003, 10:10 AM
Everyone else has it pretty much covered, but I thought that I'd mention that, depending on table design (a commercial design would probably be easier), that you could have a custom rail-cap built. Then you could have the pockets sized smaller, the pocket-mouths cut correctly (rounded), and the rails would be the right height and profile (flat-nosed, instead of knife-edged) for the balls.

However, the radii of the pockets (the holes in the slate) would still be different, but possibly not enough to bother you--if you consider that you would still be playing on a 9ft table.

Also, this would obviously not be a quick change operation, if that's what you mean by "convertable". And, it will still be small

If you have the the money and the room for a 10 or 12-footer, it might be easier to build a new table, rather than attempt a conversion, or even find a used table. I've read where some guys have built 9ft tables for $1200-2000, so I think it could be readily done for $1500-3000, provided you could find the slate.

====================