PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Wise

L.S. Dennis
01-02-2003, 04:44 PM
Does anyone out there remember or know anything about Hall of famer Dorothy Wise's husband Jimmy? If so please share your comments.
Thanks

L.S. Dennis
01-03-2003, 12:07 AM
Just a little reply to my own question, Jimmy and Dorothy's pool room in Redwood City Ca. in the early to mid sixties was truely folklore. The was "bone rack' 'shorty', 'the pirate' 'the dry dog' 'the indian' and more characters than I could possible name here. I was known in those days as "liquor store Dennis" for reasons to long for this spot. It was a great place with lots of stories and memories, but if anybody knows anything more about Jimmy the owner please write!!!

L.S. Dennis
01-03-2003, 04:56 PM
One last thing, one of the only things I remember of him is that he had white hair and always drove a white Cadillac.

He also had a sweet stroke for his age but was blind as a bat!

Popcorn
01-03-2003, 09:39 PM
I used to like to take pictures and I have some pictures around somewhere from back quite a ways of Dorothy and many of the players back then. She was very nice but could not have played with many of the players of today. Many of the tournaments she won had very small fields. Even the US open drew small fields back then. If I can figure how, I will post some pictures. I will try to find them, I have a box full and I know they are still around somewhere. I would like to see them again myself.

Rod
01-03-2003, 09:48 PM
If you have a web site you can link to there. Otherwise you'll have to send them to someone who does. Tom in Cincy and Stickman both have sites, there are probably more. I'd like to see them, so start looking! LOL

L.S. Dennis
01-04-2003, 12:40 AM
Here's a little excerpt from the now defucnt pool publication "Head Spot" regarding Jimmy Wise;

Jimmy Wise

Dorothy's husband Jimmy had one ot the best stroks I've ever seen. After Dorothy played her match with Joe Procita Joe stepped to the billiard table and asked the crowd if they had any particular 3-cushion shots they'd like to see him attempt. No one had any, until Jimmy came out from behind the counter and set up a complicated shot. Joe looked it over and said, "that's very tough. I don't think it can be made, but I'll try. He tried four times and failed. Jimmy asked , "Do you mind if I try it myself?" Joe graciously said, "Sure". Jimmy made the shot on the first attempt. He had an amazing stroke.

I enjoyed Jimmy's dry sense of humor. Once, Jimmy put a ball directly in front of a pocked and said to me,"I'll give you $15.00 if you can make that this ball." I immeddiately took him up on it and knocked the ball in. He pulled the ball from the pocket and examined it. "You didn't make this ball," he said. This ball was made in Chicago in 1941."

L.S. Dennis
01-05-2003, 02:38 PM
I'd love to see some of those pictures if you still have them and can get them on the screen. It would sure bring back some memories!