PDA

View Full Version : cue joints

01-02-2003, 09:31 PM
i am looking for any info. on cue joints. Which ones are best and which ones are preferred and why. Any information would help. Thanks

Fred Agnir
01-03-2003, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote f3racer75:</font><hr> i am looking for any info. on cue joints. Which ones are best and which ones are preferred and why. Any information would help. Thanks <hr /></blockquote>
That's one hell of a question.

From my perspective as a player (and not a cuemaker), I personally like the feel and sound of a muted joint. That is, all the efforts to reduce the sound associated with the transfer of energy through the joint is a plus for me. So, there are several cuemakers cue's that I've shot with that accomplish this that I really like.

The piloted-interference-fit Schuler.
The conical Layani joint.
The compression-fit Lambros Ultra Joint.

That's my own personal opinion of what I like in joints. The fit and sound is what I care about. Notice I didn't say anything abou the actual material of the collar. I don't think the collar material is important for these three joint configuration. Someone else can discuss what affect the joint collar has on other standard configurations.

Fred

01-03-2003, 11:25 PM
I've owned and played with cues of most common joint types, and it just comes down to personal preference. Really, playability of the cue comes down to how it all works together: shaft size and taper, ferrule length and material, tip, joint and butt construction. I generally prefer a stainless steel piloted joint, but my current playing cue is a Chris Nitti with phenolic joint collar and wood to wood with a radial pin. You'll just have to experiment to see what you prefer.