PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley on HBO with Bob Costas.pool relate

cueball1950
01-02-2003, 09:49 PM
I watched Bob Costas on HBO today and he had Charles Barkley on among others. Barkleys parting shot was that they ought to take Bowling and POOL off of ESPN. The nerve. Here we are fighting to get more exposure on TV and this rich SPorts figure gets on and tells the whole world that they should take pool off the air on ESPN.He apparently does not think of pool as a sport. I would love to see him play in a double elimination tournament with 128 players,race to 11, over 2 days and maybe lose his first match and see how he fares when he has to play so many matches straight to get to the end of the tournament. Everybody here knows that it takes alot of stamina to do it and that is just the physical part. What about the mental part. I wish i had his email address. I would send him an email letting him know what i think of his statement.....Maybe he should stick to basketball or just hang out with his good buddy Tiger..............mike

Rod
01-02-2003, 10:29 PM
mike, I've never cared for Barkley and I'm here in Phx. Maybe thats a even better reason. What they should do is not show him and his lop sided golf swing at the pro ams or celeb tournaments! If you ever wanted a real bad golf swing, maybe the worst, just copy Barkley. In pool I doubt he could hit an o/b much less put it in a pocket! Probably thinks its a dumb game since he can't play. Then again he should feel the same about golf!

Harold Acosta
01-02-2003, 10:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> I watched Bob Costas on HBO today and he had Charles Barkley on among others. Barkleys parting shot was that they ought to take Bowling and POOL off of ESPN. The nerve. Here we are fighting to get more exposure on TV and this rich SPorts figure gets on and tells the whole world that they should take pool off the air on ESPN.He apparently does not think of pool as a sport. I would love to see him play in a double elimination tournament with 128 players,race to 11, over 2 days and maybe lose his first match and see how he fares when he has to play so many matches straight to get to the end of the tournament. Everybody here knows that it takes alot of stamina to do it and that is just the physical part. What about the mental part. I wish i had his email address. I would send him an email letting him know what i think of his statement.....Maybe he should stick to basketball or just hang out with his good buddy Tiger..............mike <hr /></blockquote>

[b]Why would you want to see Sir Charles play a double elimination tournament if he can't play a lick! He wouldn't survive the first two rounds even if he paid someone for it! (Well...maybe.... with the right amount of money...LOL).

What I would do is hit him with a pool stick everytime he opens his mouth and talks about a sport other than basketball. I bet he would learn fast not to speak about subjects he knows nothing about!

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Karatemom
01-02-2003, 11:13 PM
That seems to be a typical answer from a man who has to put one very large ob into a hole that is 50 times larger than a pocket. He obviously knows absolutely nothing about our sport or I don't believe he would make those kind of derogatory statements. Usually, those who know nothing, act like they know everything.

JMHO,

Heide

dardusm
01-03-2003, 12:56 AM
Charles who? Is he still alive?

bigbro6060
01-03-2003, 01:19 AM
the sad truth is that Barkley couldn't give a toss what a bunch of 'pool geeks' like us thought of him. He would have made more money and got more pieces of arse than any pool player could ever dream of.

i really feel it is upto the top players to change people's mind about the game and attract audiences to the sport. Pool really needs some new dynamic charismatic talent at the top of the game, not guys like Strickland, Varner and Archer who will turn people off. We appreciate their skillls, but they just aren't magnetic people.

John McEnroe made tennis, we need someone like him for Pool

snipershot
01-03-2003, 05:04 AM
I'm not surprised Charles would say something like that, he's a total idiot. Did anyone see him kiss that goat's ass when he lost a bet with a friend not too long ago?

Paul_Mon
01-03-2003, 05:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> I watched Bob Costas on HBO today and he had Charles Barkley on among others. Barkleys parting shot was that they ought to take Bowling and POOL off of ESPN. The nerve. Here we are fighting to get more exposure on TV and this rich SPorts figure gets on and tells the whole world that they should take pool off the air on ESPN.He apparently does not think of pool as a sport. I would love to see him play in a double elimination tournament with 128 players,race to 11, over 2 days and maybe lose his first match and see how he fares when he has to play so many matches straight to get to the end of the tournament. Everybody here knows that it takes alot of stamina to do it and that is just the physical part. What about the mental part. I wish i had his email address. I would send him an email letting him know what i think of his statement.....Maybe he should stick to basketball or just hang out with his good buddy Tiger..............mike <hr /></blockquote>

I happened to see that too. He also made a reference about smoking the entire joint so as not to get caught by the police with half a joint. This was in regard to some other sports star who was arrested with half a joint in the car. Some role model.

Paul

rackmup
01-03-2003, 06:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wish i had his email address. I would send him an email letting him know what i think of his statement <hr /></blockquote>

Here you go:

charlesbarkley@bigfatNBAhas_beenwhohaslosttouchwit hthecommon_maneversincehemadehisfirstmilliondollar s.com

Regards,

Ken (wishes ESPN would take "Sir Charles" off the tube. He barely fits into a wide-screen format. Chuck...lay off the cracklins and fries.)

NH_Steve
01-03-2003, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> the sad truth is that Barkley couldn't give a toss what a bunch of 'pool geeks' like us thought of him. He would have made more money and got more pieces of arse than any pool player could ever dream of.

i really feel it is upto the top players to change people's mind about the game and attract audiences to the sport. Pool really needs some new dynamic charismatic talent at the top of the game, not guys like Strickland, Varner and Archer who will turn people off. We appreciate their skillls, but they just aren't magnetic people.

John McEnroe made tennis, we need someone like him for Pool <hr /></blockquote>Actually, the problem is not the pool players, it is clearly the US billiard industry -- namely the BCA -- which has pointedly stonewalled the players /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif The players want a tour; the BCA is afraid of pool's darker side hurting their lucrative home rec room business apparently.

BTW, lot's of major sports stars list pool as one of their own top leisure activities, and some are even pretty visible about it -- like Kirby Puckett.

Leviathan
01-03-2003, 06:49 AM
Greetings, B-Bro.

McEnroe, and Connors before him, set an example of childish bad sportsmanship that has done great harm to tennis in the U.S. McEnroe and Connors made people who respected and supported tennis as a sport for men and women feel that it had become a game for punks. Players with big personalities may attract big audiences, but big audiences of nitwits don't necessarily indicate that a sport is flourishing.

Regards,

Duke Mantee

bigbro6060
01-03-2003, 07:52 AM
No Duke, they don't but big audiences of nitwits attract sponsership dollars and tv networks which is the most important thing

snipershot
01-03-2003, 10:02 PM
http://www.mugshots.org/sports/charles-barkley.html

go here cueball1950, this should make you feel alot better /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ralph S.
01-03-2003, 11:12 PM
Well, I am gonna probably catch a lotta heat for this, so here it goes. I, for one happen to be a big Barkley fan. I think he was one of the best raw talents ever for a baskeball player. Listening to him can be very amusing and hillarious, as he seems to never run out of things to say. I do however agree that he has crossed the line with the comment of banning pool from ESPN. I will still be a fan of his, but am a little miffed myself that he has said what he did about our game. I dont think he would like it too well if Strickland said on ESPN " I think that ESPN should remove basketball".
Ralph S.

nAz
01-03-2003, 11:47 PM
they should take it off ESPN and put back on ABC wide world of sports!!!

snipershot
01-04-2003, 12:56 AM
I couldn't agree more that pool needs someone like John McEnroe. Someone who stands out and doesn't shy away from attention. The cold truth about Strickland, Varner, and Archer is that they are plain boring players reguardless of how good their skills are on the table. Pool needs it's top players to start showing more emotion, to turn matches from looking like a chess game to more like the world series. I think something radical needs to done to fuel more public interest in the sport.

01-04-2003, 02:26 PM
Public interest in pool is not the issue. What drives TV coverage is advertising dollars. When the billiards industry starts spending some bucks to advertise on ESPN, they'll show more pool. When Viking is the major billiards related advertiser during pool programming, something is wrong. Not a knock against Viking, but there are major industry players not spending a dime to support the sport that makes them their profits. Not that it should be a charity, either, but the advertising money would be well spent to grow a sport that drives a company's sales. Now, as to Barkley: I've always been a fan because he says what he thinks. I'm sure he doesn't realize the struggle the pool tour has suffered forever. His references to golf &amp; Tiger and then bashing pool does show his ignorance of this sport. I had a good friend that I played pool with regularly that was a golf pro. He told me that pool required far more skill and was more difficult to master. And lastly, on to the tennis analogies. I played and followed tennis long before I ever picked up a pool cue, and actually was inspired to play by watching Borg &amp; McEnroe in their epic Wimbledon semi (I think '79?). McEnroe and Connors did NOT make tennis popular. McEnroe DID have a big impact, but mostly because of his great rivalry with Borg. His antics played no part in enhancing tennis, and even HE has commented that he wishes he had cleaned up his act early in his career. Tennis got big because of (guess what?): CORPORATE DOLLARS! Racket and equipment makers spent big money to advertise, Volvo, Mercedes, Lincoln, Rolex, a host of investment companies, etc., all sponsored tournaments and tours. I have already drawn this out long enough, so I won't go into the history of the players organizing to get this process started, but suffice it to say that is what will have to occur with pool, because it's obvious the BCA isn't going to help. AND, anyone that thinks Archer, Varner, Strickland (and for those tennis people, Pete Sampras) are boring, is just ignorant.