PDA

View Full Version : Pool cues

01-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Hello all. This is my first post on here. I need some advice on getting a new cue. I am getting back into the game after a few years off. I am a B player and am looking for everybody's two cents on the best cue for $300-$400. Thanks a lot

Kato
01-03-2003, 03:04 PM
I own a couple of Helmstetters. I've had really good luck with them. I'm sure there are others that can pipe in on this one.

Welcome aboard "cheesinthenine"

Kato~~~has been known to ride the cheese.

01-03-2003, 03:50 PM
Thanks Kato. And thanks for the welcome too. Actually I've been eyeballing the Helmstetters because a friend of mine had one one time and I really liked it. I've noticed that it seems like I can get the best deals on a cue off the net, however, I am leary about just ordering one without seeing it and holding it, etc. I wonder if there is a place in the Baltimore/D.C. area that has a wide variety of cues at close to "internet" prices. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate the help.

01-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Cheese, my first cues in that price range were McDermott's, but they were mid 80's D-series cues. I would assume they still make a quality product. But, my recommendation would be to check ebay out and search for a Schon. I've owned 4 Schon's and have always been happy with the quality of construction and the performance. You should be able to pick one up in the $400 range.

01-03-2003, 06:38 PM
Most vikings fall in the bottom of that price range. I love mine. In my opinion viking makes solid cues with great tips. Probably the best value.

Rod
01-03-2003, 07:40 PM
You can buy a low end Pechauer from them, http://208.158.125.179/id61.htm or Seyberts, http://www.seyberts.com/pechauer/ for the upper end of your price range. Good hitting cues. Schon is a little past the range. I suggest these because of the shaft wood, usually a tight grain.

01-03-2003, 11:12 PM
New Schon's are definitely at the high end and above of your price range, but there are several pre-owned Schon's on ebay now for $400 or less. Also 1 McDermott D-21 in the $350 range! Identical cue to one I owned more than 10 years ago. Makes me nostalgic!

01-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Just thought I would mention that I know a couple of cue makers. Check their stuff out, it is pretty cool, and everything is completely handcrafted.

http://www.tampabilliards.com/products/cuesnsupplies/

Good luck!

Roxy

DEADSTOKE32
01-04-2003, 05:57 PM
Man for 400 you can get a custom cue from blackheart.drop him a note on this board...He make's a nice looking stick....And i hear it plays good i'm getting one soon.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
01-05-2003, 08:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesin_the_nine:</font><hr> Hello all. This is my first post on here. I need some advice on getting a new cue. I am getting back into the game after a few years off. I am a B player and am looking for everybody's two cents on the best cue for $300-$400. Thanks a lot <hr /></blockquote>

Handwaving to follow:

At your price range and situation, I'd buy a Joss Cue. IMO, the best money/craftsmanship ratio in a production cue. I have no idea how to really quantify that statement, so that's why it's handwaving at best.

IMO, Joss and Schon are the two most solid of the production cues. But, Schons cost more. Handwaving again.

Check out http://www.billiardswarehouse.com for a great selection, internet pricing, free delivery on orders over $200, and a return of cue guarantee if not satisfied.

Fred

01-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Thanks again for even more responses. Actually, someone above brought up somethingI was kicking around, and that's looking for one on e-bay. I'm a little hesitant about doing that for obvious reasons though. Anybody had any luck with that? I'm going to go check out the sites that some of you recommemded now. Thanks again.

Rod
01-05-2003, 08:13 PM
A friend of mine has bought 2 or 3 low end Joss cues on Ebay. Never a problem but I don't know the sellers name. Be sure and ask questions on their return policy etc.

01-05-2003, 11:02 PM
I've purchased several on ebay. Just review the seller's feedback. It gives a good indication if they can be trusted. Some of the above posts are correct that you can get a low-end cue from a custom maker for close to your price range, which is always a good idea.

Fred Agnir
01-06-2003, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesin_the_nine:</font><hr> Thanks again for even more responses. Actually, someone above brought up somethingI was kicking around, and that's looking for one on e-bay. I'm a little hesitant about doing that for obvious reasons though. Anybody had any luck with that? I'm going to go check out the sites that some of you recommemded now. Thanks again. <hr /></blockquote>
I've bought a couple of new Joss Cues on eBay and had zero, nada, zilch problems.

Fred

silverbullet
01-06-2003, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DEADSTOKE32:</font><hr> Man for 400 you can get a custom cue from blackheart.drop him a note on this board...He make's a nice looking stick....And i hear it plays good i'm getting one soon.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I have one of his inexpensive ones and am on his list for one of his custom ones. He told me he had about a year waiting list so he wont be starting mine until summer at the earliest I guess. That is fine for me so that I can save money. &lt;g&gt;

Have not decided yet whether to stay with the 19 0z or go to a 20 oz. Because it is even weighted, it feels lighter than a backweighted cue. Any ideas on this . I am 5 6 140 and have a relatively long bridge. i am not sure what is the best weight. I sometimes have a hand tremor too so wonder which is better, a lighter vs a heavier cue.

bw

The Rhino Chaser
01-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Another cuemaker to check out would be Keith Josey. His cues play jam up. His sneaky petes are between 300 to 500. His website is <font color="blue"> </font color> joseycues.com <font color="black"> </font color> .

MarkUrsel
01-06-2003, 12:15 PM
On ebay, I've had good luck with "cuesports-world", "rumpwhale" and "joerackem" and would recommend any of them. They all have extensive history and storefronts. Got my Predator, Lucasi J/B and miscellaneous supplies from those three.

Rod
01-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Don't know what you have decided but there are a couple of Pechauer cues on ebay. Here is one with a porper case, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=21212&amp;item=1987080 110

Just thought I'd let you know---

01-06-2003, 03:17 PM
If you live in Baltimore and are interested in a Joss, why bother with distant suppliers or e-Bay? Just give Joss (Danny Janes) a call, and drive out to Towson.

Joss Cues Ltd.
8749 Mylander Lane
Towson, Maryland 21286

(410) 821-0064
(800) 245-JOSS
(410) 821-8321 fax

info@JossCues.com

--Rich

Harold Acosta
01-06-2003, 09:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesin_the_nine:</font><hr> Hello all. This is my first post on here. I need some advice on getting a new cue. I am getting back into the game after a few years off. I am a B player and am looking for everybody's two cents on the best cue for $300-$400. Thanks a lot <hr /></blockquote>

You will find some good prices here:

http://www.welovepool.com/colcues.html

[b]<font color="blue">Billiards is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

01-07-2003, 01:40 AM
I just bought a Jacoby custom cue off of ebay for $300. The cue was exactly as described, and rolled perfectly straight. It still has the original lepro tip(which is my only complaint), but other than that it is one of the best cues I have played with. I would much rather get a custom cue from ebay for 300 bones, than pay the same price for a production cue.

01-07-2003, 04:10 PM
I have a two year old McDermott(MD series I think) and love it. Got a couple of buddies with McDermotts also. They also are very happy with their cues. There are probably better cue companies out there but you can't go wrong with a McDermott. They make a quality product.

woody
01-07-2003, 05:18 PM
I own a Jacoby and it has a solid hit. The $300 to $400 price range can get you a good hitting cue and not necessarily a plain one. I must also tell you that I had a personal experience where I needed repair on it (my own fault) and their customer service was top notch. It is recommended that you play with a variety of cues before you buy. You may need to see what kind of hit you are looking for. Good Luck!!

01-07-2003, 06:26 PM
Well, I think I've finally made my decision. After reading all your responses and doing alot of searching on the net, I've found a great little Mom and Pop retailer that have excellent prices and I think I am going go with a low end Schon from them. The company is www.hawleys.com (http://www.hawleys.com) . They started off small and have grown and seem very customer oriented and have very competitive prices. Thanks again everybody for the tips. P.S. If there is anybody within a short drive of Southern Md, we ought to hook up Pres Day weekend. There is a bar having a big 3 day pool tourney and I'm gonna go check it out. $40 entry fee, 1st place $450+McDermott pool cue+trophy. They are paying down to 16th place. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

01-08-2003, 04:40 PM
I'm a bit surprised to see nobody mention Meucci? I'm interested in hearing what people think about them. I've owned two over the years, and absolutely loved them. I still have my Meucci Original I paid $300 for about 14 years ago, in pristine condition with original shafts. It plays very well. It was just estimated by my local pro shop to be worth about $750!

David

01-08-2003, 06:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> I'm a bit surprised to see nobody mention Meucci? I'm interested in hearing what people think about them. I've owned two over the years, and absolutely loved them. I still have my Meucci Original I paid $300 for about 14 years ago, in pristine condition with original shafts. It plays very well. It was just estimated by my local pro shop to be worth about $750!
David <hr /></blockquote>

Good point. I can't really say anything bad about a Meucci, but I guess the reason why I'm not considering one is because I like the way the joints are on a Schon style cue with being metal and interlocking somewhat.

Bob C
01-08-2003, 09:17 PM
Meucci cues have been the subject of many posts on this board. One of the most recent threads is:

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccbboard&amp;Number=40969&amp;fpar t=&amp;PHPSESSID=

Lanny
01-08-2003, 10:31 PM
You won't be sorry buying from Hawley's,I've been dealing with them for the last 3-4 yrs. without the first complaint.Sharon Hawley is pleasant to talk to and will go out of her way to make sure you're happy with your purchase.

As for dmorris68's 14 yr. old Meucci,it's pre 1990 when Meucci supposedly began mass producing his cues,there is no comparison between his cue and one made today.A friend has one of the Meucci Originals(with block letters on the butt cap)that is one of the finest cues I've ever shot with.I am grateful to the sucker that bought the Meucci(with script letters on the butt cap)that I had.

One more thought:Would Meucci have come out with the Red Dot or Bullseye shaft had it not been for the Predator 314?Probably not,but he wanted his share of the specialty shaft market.

01-08-2003, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the link, Bob C. I'm new to the forums and wasn't around when that particular thread was active. I was specifically wondering why Meucci hadn't been brought up in *this* thread, but reading that I think I understand now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm surprised to hear so much bad press for Meucci, but I had been wondering why their name had virtually dropped from the pro scene compared to the 80's. I've been away from the game completely for about 10-12 years now, guess I've got a lot of catching up to do.

I feel fortunate that I got to experience their early cues, when they were really more of a custom cue. My first was a mid-80's model (model unknown, but as I recall, it was grey/white), but not appreciating it's value, I sold it for next to nothing when I needed some quick cash. A few years later (1989) I bought my current one. Not sure of the exact model as I cannot find it ANYWHERE on the net, but it's an Original block letter model that looks like a forerunner to the HOF-1, with the same chain-link butt and joint design, but without the red outline on the 4 points and the forearm wood is more brown (like a HOF-2 or 97-10). If any Meucci aficianados are around, maybe you can positively identify it for me! The pro shop that looked at it the other day had a hard time matching it up in their blue book, but finally put it's worth at $750 without telling me the model (which means they're probably just guessing, but it doesn't matter since I ain't sellin').

I've played with several other cues, but I've always loved this Meucci. Oh, and I prefer the varnished wrap. I just bought 5 Brunswick Medallion 2-piece cues to use for house cues with my new table, and I hate the feel of the "raw" wrap.

I had thought about buying a new model Meucci, but after coming up to speed on Meucci's design and production changes, maybe I'll start looking toward a Schon or a Viking, if I can just get used to that wrap...

David

Fred Agnir
01-09-2003, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> A few years later (1989) I bought my current one. Not sure of the exact model as I cannot find it ANYWHERE on the net, but it's an Original block letter model that looks like a forerunner to the HOF-1, with the same chain-link butt and joint design, but without the red outline on the 4 points and the forearm wood is more brown (like a HOF-2 or 97-10). If any Meucci aficianados are around, maybe you can positively identify it for me! The pro shop that looked at it the other day had a hard time matching it up in their blue book, but finally put it's worth at $750 without telling me the model (which means they're probably just guessing, but it doesn't matter since I ain't sellin').<hr /></blockquote>

This reads like a common model of that catalog, but the HOF-1 doesn't have a chain design. Maybe your just calling the ring and buttwork a "chain." I say this because Meucci specifically had cues with a chain link design. The "brown wood" is stained maple, so even if it was a production cue, the color of stain could have been brown, grey, or even the mottled rainbow at Meucci's discretion. From a value standpoint, I think the fact that it says "Meucci Originals" might wake up some Meucci fans, but they'd be even more interested if it was in Script.

You should take a picture of it. I assume you paid around $250-275 retail for a 4-pt. Meucci Originals in 1989.

Unless you have ivory ferrules (which I have to believe you don't), I would think this would go for not much more than $200 in the used market, just like the HOF-1. Someone with a BlueBook should check. Level 3ish, it sounds. Do you have a picture? Maybe something similar to:

http://www.discountpoolcues.com/meucci97-11cue.htm

Fred

01-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Thanks, Fred. Actually, it looks virtually identical to the HOF-1 pictured here on the same site:

http://www.discountpoolcues.com/meuccihof1cue.htm

Isn't that a chain design? Mine has the exact same butt and joint design as this one, and at first glance looks like the same cue. Upon closer inspection, mine doesn't have the red outline on the points, but rather a clear space surrounded by a black outline. The buttcap and joint have the same chain-link looking design pictured here, the forearm stain in this picture more closely matches mine than I've seen in other HOF-1 pictures, and of course mine has MEUCCI ORIGINAL in the small block letters on the butt.

You're probably about right on the high end of your purchase price guess. I actually still have the receipt in the case, I'll have to check when I get home but the total was well over $300 for cue and case, and it was not an expensive case ($40 or so, although it's still holding up very well despite looking a bit worn), so I'd put the cue at right around $270-$280 in 1989. I'll try to post a picture as soon as I can make one.

I've seen several of these Meucci Originals from the same time period going for $250-$600 on eBay, some in pretty bad shape. Mine is virtually pristine -- I actually had both shafts retipped about a month ago for the first time (that's how little play it's had in 14 years) -- with only slight chalk staining on the shafts. I played with one shaft until the tip wore down, then played the other shaft. But as I mentioned, while I'm curious about its value I'm not interested in giving it up -- it's been too good to me!

David

Fred Agnir
01-09-2003, 02:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmorris68:</font><hr> Thanks, Fred. Actually, it looks virtually identical to the HOF-1 pictured here on the same site:

http://www.discountpoolcues.com/meuccihof1cue.htm

<hr /></blockquote>

Like the bottom one of this:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ohagnir/_images/Cues.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't that a chain design? <hr /></blockquote>
Yeah, I guess they're chain rings/checks. Meucci used to have a cue that had a butt sleeve design that had chain links on it, so I was confused as usual.

Fred

01-11-2003, 10:39 PM
Finally got some pics together. Here's the cue, and a few shots of my new 8' Brunswick Avalon.

http://www.alltel.net/~dmorris/billiards/pics

As you can see, the cue looks almost like a HOF-1. You'll notice the lack of red outline on the points, and the Meucci Original logo, but other than that...

If anybody knows exactly what Meucci called this late-80's model, I'd appreciate hearing it. I haven't been able to track it down with any certainty.

David

Edit: Fixed link

01-12-2003, 05:27 PM
http://www.poolndarts.com/cu.cfm?SKU=95-11&amp;imgs=81

With the exception of the Logo on the bottom it also looks like the Meucci 95-11. Link above. Unfortunately Meucci's history section on their site needs some real work.

01-12-2003, 06:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CoolieRewind:</font><hr> http://www.poolndarts.com/cu.cfm?SKU=95-11&amp;imgs=81

With the exception of the Logo on the bottom it also looks like the Meucci 95-11. Link above. Unfortunately Meucci's history section on their site needs some real work. <hr /></blockquote>Yeah, I think the 95-11 might have been the predecessor (or the inspiration) to the Hall Of Fame 1 (HOF-1) that I posted the earlier link to. The 95-11 had the same red outline points, and solid black wrap on all the ones I've seen. Mine has no red (or color of any kind except black and brown) and the speckled wrap.

Yeah, I agree, Meucci's website leaves a lot to be desired. I wish they had a complete catalog history. The best site I've found for collectible Meucci's is http://www.discountpoolcues.com/meucci_pool_cue_collectables.htm however they don't have them all, including mine, and some of the pictures are of poor quality.

At any rate, my cue predates the 95-11 by at least 6-7 years.

David

Gayle in MD
01-14-2003, 11:37 AM
Hi there and welcome,
Do tell, where is the tournament? Which county do you live in? I am in AA County.
Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif