PDA

View Full Version : " Tugboat Whaley"

L.S. Dennis
01-03-2003, 04:52 PM
Does anybody have any stories of Tugboat Whaley? I've heard a lot of this interesting character, would like to hear more!
L.S. Dennis

Fran Crimi
01-03-2003, 07:15 PM
An old boyfriend of mine, Dalton, Leong (RIP) from the Bay Area, used to talk about him a lot. Dalton was a jam-up player and he must have told me a hundred times that he owed practically everything he knew about the game and the people who played it to Tugboat. Apparently Tug took a liking to Dalton and took him under his wing. I heard that Tugboat could be a pretty mean guy when he wanted to, but Dalton said there was a whole different guy underneath the tough exterior once he let you in. I know that Dalton spent some time on the road mentoring C.J. Wiley and Earl Strickland so naturally he probably passed some of Tugboat's wisdom down to them.

Can you tell us some of the things you heard about Tugboat?

Fran

L.S. Dennis
01-04-2003, 12:10 AM
Fran,
I remember Tug quite fondly the early 60's when I was just a kid. He used to come to Jimmy and Dorothy wise's pool room every sunday night with his wife to socialize with Jimmy and Dorothy. Naturally us kids hanging around were just in heaven when he would take us over to the table and show us his secrets, some of which I still use today! It's true he did have another side of him but on those sunday nights he was always on his best behavior. If you were to see him up at Cochran's well that would be another story.

He always complained about being old and not being able to see anymore until someone proposed some kind of a money game then he would all of a sudden see like an eagle!

Extremely colorful, everything the game doesn't have anymore for better of for worst.

Dennis

L.S. Dennis
01-04-2003, 12:45 AM
One last thing on Tug, few people knew that his first name was Maurice (not sure of the spelling)

L.S. Dennis
01-04-2003, 02:13 PM
I recently had the chance to exchange some memories or Tugboat with Tony Annigoni who also knew him in those magical years of the sixties. If only the walls of Cochran's(now Holleywood) billiards could tells their tales.

Rod
01-04-2003, 02:33 PM
I've never heard of Tugboat but it would be interesting to know how he aquired that name. I do genealogy research and my great grandmother was a whaley. I always like stories to help identify a person and what their life was like at the time.

Vagabond
01-04-2003, 07:27 PM
Howdy rod,
It was my understanding that on few occassions he was dressed like a Tug Boat captain to give the impression that he was spending his time on the sea and did not have a chance to shoot pool for long time.After that people started calling him Tug Boat.Cheers /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rod
01-05-2003, 03:07 AM
Maybe on the Mississippi. I figured that actually and was hoping there was more to the story. I used to be called captain myself! Well that amongst other names, like salt lake.

L.S. Dennis
01-05-2003, 05:25 PM
If my memory serves me right, Tugboat was pictured in and issue of Billiards Digest some time ago. Anyone rememeber what issue that was? I beleive the caption over his picture was "would you buy a car from this man?'

HOWARD
01-06-2003, 04:26 PM
I saw Tugboat several times in the 1028 club (Cochrans) in the sixties, but I never saw him play.

I did see him play him one time at Sax Dalporto's place in Redwood City one night. The few things I remember was a large shock of white hair, sky blue eyes a barrel chest and large hands. I remember watching carefully to see how much stick he had past the bridge hand - as one his dictates was that one should not have more than four inches of stick past the bridge hand. I don't believe he ever did. But I felt i caught him on a technically after the follow through.

Howard

L.S. Dennis
01-08-2003, 11:47 AM
As I mentioned I used to see Tugboat a Sax Dal Porto's room when it was owned by Jimmy and Dorothy Wise in the early 60's. I never did have the pleasure of see Sax and Tug play that would have been great to see. Depending on the game and how much money they would have been playing for my money would have probably been on Tug, although Sax was much youger then and without money involved Sax would have probably won. But intrduce the money factor and Tug was hard to beat!