PDA

View Full Version : Record for Most Balls on Break (9-ball)

01-03-2003, 05:47 PM
Just curious-what's the record for the most balls in on a 9-ball break? My personal best is 4.

Rod
01-03-2003, 06:05 PM
6 or 7 is not uncommon here as a high. Our own Leonard saw all 9 years ago.

9 Ball Girl
01-03-2003, 07:48 PM
I've made 4 a couple of times. I've seen Naz make 6--that includes the cue ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chris Cass
01-03-2003, 11:13 PM
6 twice in one week for me. Then, ran out.

C.C.

Tommy_Davidson
01-04-2003, 03:16 AM
> I saw Cliff Joyner make 7 on the break on a bar box,and had to push out! The 7 and the 9 were left,the cue ball freezing on the end rail,about a diamond from the corner to your left when breaking. The 9 froze up against the cue ball,with the 7 just to the other side of the side pocket to your right when breaking,making the 7 a hanger,but only from the other end of the table. Cliff pushed out to a long cross corner bank,which his opponent stuck,stopping his rock and accepting the thin cut on the 9 from that position. The score was then 6-3,after which Cliff's opponent,Danny Cook,ran out the set. How that for hard luck? Tommy D.

01-04-2003, 04:05 AM
I made four off the break and hit them softly.

When I hit them hard I get a good spread but less balls down!

Kato
01-04-2003, 06:43 AM
Have made 4 on the break numerous times. Twice made 5 on the break and got hooked once and the other time had to use the bridge and miscued with a wide open table.

Kato

cheesemouse
01-04-2003, 07:31 AM
I've made five on the break on barbox numerious times and made six once but have never made more than four on a nine footer. I have seen six made on both a barbox and a ninefooter.

Ross
01-04-2003, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> 6 or 7 is not uncommon here as a high. Our own Leonard saw all 9 years ago. <hr /></blockquote>

9? Never heard of this. Excuse me for being skeptical. In fact I've never heard of 8 on a regulation 9-footer. Any details to this claim- when, where, what kind of table?

Icon of Sin
01-04-2003, 09:38 AM
Most i have drppoed was 5 on a break on a 8 foot table, i have seen someone do six or a 9-foot, but thats the most I seen in person

Rod
01-04-2003, 01:48 PM
Ross, Maybe Leonard #### will chime in here if he sees this thread. I believe it was with the old clay balls, but I might be mistaken there. He said the rack just exploded and this fellow made numerous balls many times. I know one thing when I find a table that breaks good, I'd like to buy it! One night in a local tournament last year I made three 9's in a row to retire the guy. I made seven 9's for the tournament, and not all on the same table. The guys started closing their eyes. To bad it's not like that more often.LOL

L.S. Dennis
01-04-2003, 02:08 PM
Trying to find an answer to this question is kind of like trying to find out how Mosconi's 526 ball run ended. In a word very difficult to get credible information.

My guess that on a 9 foot table 6 is probably as good as anyone can get.

TonyM
01-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Personally, I've made 6 on the break. And I've personally wittnessed 7 balls on the break, twice.

I've heard rumors of 8 and possibly even 9 balls going in on the break, but that's all they were, rumors.

I guess it's like the infinite monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters coming up with the entire works of Shakespeare, eventually, given enough people trying to do something, and enough time, everything that is possible, no matter how statistically improbable, will eventually be done.

Tony
-hopes to live long enough to see 9 balls made on the break.....

DEADSTOKE32
01-04-2003, 05:26 PM
I made 5 balls the other day with a 17oz cue .I would of made 6 but the cb did not go in.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike H
01-04-2003, 06:22 PM
NO WAY!!! That, I'd pay good money to see!

Mike H
01-04-2003, 06:26 PM
My personal best is 6, probably about a half-dozen times. One of the harder breaking locals claims 7, but considering the source, I don't buy it.

Rod
01-04-2003, 06:36 PM
Well I thought all money was good Mike.LOL I'd like to see it also. My best is 6 with no shot.

Wally_in_Cincy
01-05-2003, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> 6 or 7 is not uncommon here as a high. Our own Leonard saw all 9 years ago. <hr /></blockquote>

Fran told a story here once. She was technical advisor for "Carlito's Way". The director asked her if she knew how to make all 15 balls on the break /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cueball1950
01-05-2003, 10:34 PM
####leonard can verify this for me. Andy (harpo ) Bakerian broke and made all 9 on the break and the next rack he made 7 and safed hgimself. He used to say it was all in the wrist action if i am not mistaken. ####leonard racked for him one time and i believe his average over a couple of hours was around 3 balls. Please correct me if i am wrong Mr. Leonard.....................................mike

#### leonard
01-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Rod here is the story it was 1956 or so and I was playing at Whiteys poolroom in Troy. Whiteys was made famous by Steve Wulf of Troy who covered the Mosconi,Rex Williams match at Jackie Gleasons Inverrey Golf Club in Florida. Steve recounted his first trip up to the third floor dance floor converted into a rare poolroom with 30 foot high metal ceilings and a balcony overlooking the poolroom.

I was playing pool one day when this small fellow with a beard came into the poolroom went behind the counter and grabbed the billiard balls and went over to the billiard table and started playng. This was a no/no at Whiteys and Whitey said to me that is Andy Bakerian he was a oldtimer who helped him fixs his tables. He then proceeded to tell me that on the table I was playing on Andy once put all nineballs in on the break. He would also play in three poolgames at the sametime,nineball,rotation and Keno. They wouldn't let him break playing Keno because he would put 10 balls on the board on the break and always win the game. I never saw him again till 1964 when he came in the poolroom I was running in Troy. I asked him about his putting all nineballs in at one time and he told me he did that and he put 7 of 9 twice and once got stitched on the ball. I then asked him to give me a breaking demostration. He said he needed 10 minutes to warm up. Then he gave me a 3 hour demo in which at no time did he put less than 3 balls in at time and he put as high as 6 in. He never lunged,or stroked excessive he just hit the cueball and it was like a atom bomb went off. Joe Canton would always say if he had Andys break no one would ever beat him playing nineball. After that demo I never doubted that he did the feat.

Steve Wulf went on to be the editor of Sports Illustrated a osition he held for a number of years. ####

rackmup
01-05-2003, 10:58 PM
I watched a guy break and pocket all nine balls on the snap, jump the cue ball onto another table and pocket two more.

Honest.

Really.

Regards,

Ken (I saw it with my own two eyes. Honest. Okay...I admit, he DID scratch on the second table.)

Rod
01-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Great story Leonard and I doubt I would doubt him either. At the time they were clay balls? I'm guessing since I don't know when the change over was. Even at that I played with clay balls in very early 60's. Those balls were a lot heavier than the phenolic of today. Along with that the old 30's - 50's tables seemed to me to have much better cushions than today even though the cloth was slower. The rail heights was lower by a small amount to which made them rebound better. This is based on info I got from Eddie Robbin about the height and the wood angle the cushion attached to. Also based on play because the c/b would jump after a rail if hit to hard. Making a few balls was not uncommon. I just wonder if it was easier then compared to now. I made my 6 balls on those tables. All of that may be offset by better balls and cloth of today though. Of course having a good break stroke doesn't hurt either!

Fred Agnir
01-06-2003, 08:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 ball junior:</font><hr> Just curious-what's the record for the most balls in on a 9-ball break? My personal best is 4. <hr /></blockquote>
My break speed has been clocked at 21 mph, not exactly bomb-blasting. And, I've made 6 a few times, getting no shot but once. And no reasonable runout that time.

I've heard countless stories of 7, and of course the Dick Leonard story of 9.

Fred &lt;~~~ made 4 in 4-ball

#### leonard
01-07-2003, 08:22 AM
Rod your right about the table and balls and 1845 Brunswick rubber. Most tables swallowed the balls, small facings and shallow slate depths. It wasn't till the Centennials that the rails and facings started expanding due to the rails being bolted from the bottom. ####