PDA

View Full Version : Layered tips?

woody
01-03-2003, 08:20 PM
I personally have used a layered tip once and didn't care for it. It may be that I don't fully understand how they are constructed but doesn't it seem that each layer must be held together somehow, and to me that would be glue. When I look at a layered tip from the side making contact with the CB, at some point one of those layers of glue is what is actually making the contact. It is my belief that layered tips are a marketing strategy so manufacturers can use more of the hide by getting to its thinner areas, thus getting the layers for tips. I may be wrong, so please point me in the right direction. Thank You!

Troy
01-03-2003, 09:43 PM
I imagine you'll get many responses Woody.

First, when shaped to a nickel or even a dime radius there is really very little "glue" exposed and that is extremely thin. Second, when chalked there is NO glue exposed.

The advantage to layered tips, specifically Talisman Pro (IMO), is that they hold chalk well, hold their shape well, require little or no maintenance, do NOT mushroom, and last longer.

While the initial investment is higher, in the long run they may actually be less expensive than non-layered tips.

Another point is the consistency of layered tips from tip to tip. With non-layered tips there is very little consistency.

You may be correct stating that manufacturers can use more of the leather. However, with layered tips there is a higher level of quality control resulting in a more consistent product.

As an example, I discard about 10-15 tips from a box of 50 LePro tips because they turn to mush during installation. Occasionally a tip will make it through installation but turn to mush after just a few hits. Not good for customer satisfaction.

Troy

Ludba
01-03-2003, 11:23 PM
I've been pretty keen on layered tips since I got a talisman a while back. Longer life, greater consistency definitely. I noticed recently when I got a Moori tip that I got a much more consistent hit.

Before I had a layered tip, I didn't break with my playing cue, because it wore down the tip fast. I break regularly with my layered tip and see no significant wear from breaking.

Predator
01-03-2003, 11:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> I imagine you'll get many responses Woody.

First, when shaped to a nickel or even a dime radius there is really very little "glue" exposed and that is extremely thin. Second, when chalked there is NO glue exposed.

The advantage to layered tips, specifically Talisman Pro (IMO), is that they hold chalk well, hold their shape well, require little or no maintenance, do NOT mushroom, and last longer.

While the initial investment is higher, in the long run they may actually be less expensive than non-layered tips.

Another point is the consistency of layered tips from tip to tip. With non-layered tips there is very little consistency.

You may be correct stating that manufacturers can use more of the leather. However, with layered tips there is a higher level of quality control resulting in a more consistent product.

As an example, I discard about 10-15 tips from a box of 50 LePro tips because they turn to mush during installation. Occasionally a tip will make it through installation but turn to mush after just a few hits. Not good for customer satisfaction.

Troy

<hr /></blockquote>
I agree with Troy on the fact that the investment in a layered tip could be a little more, but, it will not need the constant maintenance that a single-layered tip does. I recently switched to a multi-layered tip and love it. However, different brands are better than others, and ARE worth a little extra money. If you are going to go with a layered tip, go with Moori or Talisman. Others aren't made as well and at some point, 4 or 5 layers may come off at one time, depending on how much use you give your tip. So, if you do want to go with the layered-tip, go with Moori or Talisman. The amount of mis-cues it will save you will more than pay for the tip itself! Hope this helps you out a little. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

woody
01-07-2003, 11:16 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. I currently use Buffalo tips and love 'em. I will try a Talisman or Moori layered tip. Thanks again.

Predator
01-07-2003, 05:46 PM
My layered "TIGER" tip busted in half last night, on my
break shot! go with Talisman, I've heard NO complaints
about them and am sticking with them from now on. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif