PDA

View Full Version : what kind of cue does ralph s play with?

Jon from MN
01-04-2003, 07:28 AM
During the mosconi cup does anyone know what kind of cue Ralph S plays with? My friend say ralphs cue had a brown looking ferrel. Does it and if he does have a brown ferrel what is it made out of and why? Just currious Jon from mn

01-05-2003, 08:42 AM
Since Ralf is sponsored By Joss
i would say he plays with a Joss Cue
dont know about the Ferrule tho,could just
be from Over usage.

Jon from MN
01-05-2003, 08:52 AM
I didnt know joss sponsored him thanks but I think I did see a brown ferrel. My friend thinks they use a brown ferrel to hide chalk dont sound right to me. Jon From mn

Chris Cass
01-05-2003, 09:14 AM
Hi Jon,

Funny thing, I met and talked with Ralph in Vegas last year at a booth. It might have been Joss but It was in the area of Ray Schulers booth.

He's about a slim 5'7" or 5'8" guy. Very quiet and reserved. Anyway, my point. Awhile back there was a thread about an article in the newspaper. That he had told a member of his team. Sex the night before a match was forbidden.

Me being the ph detective. Shook Ralphs hand and after the small talk asked, did he really order, his team mate to not have sex before the match, as the papers had said? In a quiet but friendly voice, he said, he had merely told his friend that he had noticed that in some players. One could be mentally tired, the next day. He said, the press went with it.

I for one applaud his honesty. I got the impression, he really didn't want to make that much of a point about it. We all know what sells papers. LOL His final thought was that, he did say it. He also quietly laughed about it.

Nice man,

C.C.

9 Ball Girl
01-05-2003, 09:37 AM
From my Inside Pool Magazine
Ralf was born November 29, 1968 in Eschweiler, Germany. He began playing pool on a table in his parent’s tavern at age six. He practiced for hours every day until he was rewarded by winning his first German Junior Championship at age fourteen. He turned professional in 1991 and has won about 180 tournaments since. He won the World 9-Ball Championship in 1996. He won his first US Open 9-Ball Championship in September of this year. His nickname, “The Surgeon”, attests to how he slices up his opponents on the table.

<font color="blue">What's In The Case</font color>
What weight &amp; brand of cue do you play with?
19.5 oz. Joss

What’s the diameter of the shaft?
11.8mm

What kind of tip do you prefer?
Moori slow

What’s the radius of the tip?
Quarter

[/b]What’s the taper on your shaft?
14” pro taper

Is your break cue the same brand as your playing cue?
No

What kind of break cue do you prefer?
Mike Gulyassy’s Sledge Hammer

What weight is your break cue?
18.8 oz

Does your break cue have a different shaft as opposed to your playing cue? If so, what’s different about your break cue shaft?
13mm diameter

Describe the kind of hit you look for in your playing
and break cues.
Solid hit, shaft should be not too stiff

What kind of maintenance tools do you use for your tip?
Self-made piece of wood to burnish the side of the tip, including a scuffer

What kind of maintenance tools/products do you use on your shafts?
Dri Ice cleaner and conditioner and Silk spray

What kind of Joint do you prefer?
Ivory

What kind of wrap do you prefer on your playing cue and/or break cue?
Finished over

Are there any other products/tools or techniques that you use?
Self-made tip protectors

What advice would you give to a player getting ready to buy a cue, case, or maintenance product?
Try to ask a better and more experienced player before you spend any money

Jon from MN
01-05-2003, 09:40 AM
CC. At my age sex dont come into play LOL But seriously does anyone know if there really was a brown ferrel. And if it was what would it be made of? And why? Hey Scott Lee do you have any input. Thanks Jon from Mn

Jon from MN
01-05-2003, 09:49 AM
Thank you 9ball girl I still dont know about the ferrel but now I think it must have been the beer LOL He does use a thin shaft must have small hands. Im sure he uses a thin shaft because of a snooker background. Jon from Mn

Popcorn
01-05-2003, 09:59 AM
He played with a Meucci most of his life, but may play with a sponsors cue now though. At one time almost every player in Germany played with Meucci though. It was the most popular cue in Germany.

9 Ball Girl
01-05-2003, 09:59 AM
You're welcome! I saw Ralf play in the US Open when I was down in VA, and I don't remember seeing a brown ferrule on any of his cues. Hmmm.

Cueless Joey
01-05-2003, 11:31 AM
Joss cues have Aegis ferrules. They do get dirty. Maybe he was using a brown chalk or a leather burnisher made it brown. If it's micarta, they do turn yellowish over time.

Scott Lee
01-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Jon...Ferrules come in lots of colors. I have seen black, brown, red, yellow, and all manner of "white", from off-white, to ivory, to bright white. I think it is just something he chose, and not some special material. He says in Inside Pool that he likes ivory, so the ferrule could easily be walrus or mastodon ivory, which has a brown caste to it.

Scott

TonyM
01-05-2003, 03:45 PM
The dark ferrule your friend saw was on his break cue (a sledge hammer IIRC).

It is probably linen phenolic (natural colour is brown).

His playing cue (a Joss) has a white ferrule.

Tony

Jon from MN
01-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Thanks everyone for your input I remember black and white ferrels not the other colors. Jon from Mn

Ralph S.
01-05-2003, 11:05 PM
I know you are referring to Ralf Souquet, but I just couldnt resist answering this.
Ralph S.&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;PLAYS WITH A MCDERMOTT /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TonyM
01-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Just for your information, tonight (on Canadian t.v.) I taped a match with Ralph Soquet and Rico Dics, from the recent World Pool Masters.

It was very clear that his break cue did indeed have a brown ferrule, and it was also very clear (with 100% certainty) that his playing cue (he has a Joss logo over his right breast) has a WHITE ferrule.

So it seems that your friend saw his break cue, not his playing cue (unless Ralph hit a few balls with his break cue!).

So there you have it.....

Tony

Rod
01-07-2003, 12:53 AM
I wondered when you were going to reply Ralph.LOL Actually I thought of you when he first posted this message. I mean I wanted to know too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
01-07-2003, 01:00 AM
Hi Rod. With work I dont get to post as much as I want and I just noticed it the other night. But you know I was gonna pipe up sooner or later LMAO. Now the world knows what the real Ralph S. uses for a cue LOL.
Ralph S.&gt;will soon be shooting with a Blackheart. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brent
01-07-2003, 04:38 AM
OMG people. What is the big deal ? I understand if u discuss this so long if ur friend had seen a neon-glow chalk or something like that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Keep it real