PDA

View Full Version : table recommendations needed

dmgwalsh
01-04-2003, 07:29 AM
My wife seems to think we should get a pool table for the basement. We have plenty of room, and I'm all for the idea. I don't want to get stuck with a cheap one, so I'd like some help on what I can get and what I should expect to pay. I'll go used if I need to in order to get a better quality table. I live in Chicago area if anyone has any ideas about tables in this area.
Thanks for any input. Dennis

01-04-2003, 02:39 PM
Well, you'll get many different recommendations, I'm sure. It all depends on your budget and how serious you are about the game. No doubt others will disagree with me, but I'm a Brunswick fan. Sure, I also like other tables from the likes of Olhausen, AMF, and Kasson, and you could spend thousands on any of these. But IMHO, nothing plays like a Brunswick. I've spoken with one person, a former National Amateur Champion, who is now the GM of a company that manufactures their own line of tables, as well as sells other brands including Brunswick. He says he'll put his own brand of tables up against any other brand EXCEPT a Brunswick -- he goes home to a Gold Crown. The drawback for many people, especially those less serious about the game, is that Brunswicks are a bit more pricey than most other home tables. Yes you can easily spend tens of thousands on many brands, but most all brands have tables in the $1000-$1500 range. Brunswick does not (unless you go with their cheap gameroom Contender line, which I do not recommend). Expect to spend $2500-$3500 on the lower-end "real" Brunswick tables.

I just bought a new 8' Brunswick Avalon in Traditional Mahogany for $3500 with Simonis 860 cloth. I wanted a 9' but my bonus room would've been a tad cramped due to the knee walls that slope to the ceiling at a steep angle. If you can fit a 9', I'd certainly do it.

A very important point, even moreso than the brand of table, is the quality of installation. A bad installer can make a $10,000 Brunswick play like an $800 Sears & Roebuck Slatron table, while the best installers could probably make the Sears table play pretty well. If you do go with Brunswick, they are very demanding of their certified dealers and installers, so I'd recommend checking Brunswick's website for an authorized dealer near you, preferably a Premier dealer. You can find Brunswick's at unauthorized dealers, but don't expect much in the way of the lifetime warranty support that you get with an authorized dealer.

Brunswicks also tend to have a much higher resale value than other brands, from what I've heard. A used Brunswick often costs nearly as much as new, but sometimes you get a good deal from a poolroom turning over tables, or from estate sales where the heirs don't play pool and know nothing about the value of the table.

David

cheesemouse
01-04-2003, 02:49 PM
Dmgwalsh.
I suggest you read this sites info before you buy anything. This will make you sound like you know what's what...

http://www.onthewirebilliards.com/tablebuying.htm

02-10-2003, 10:37 AM
I saw in a past post that you got your table in Chattanooga. I went looking around this weekend for a Brunswick. I know that Anker's and All South Game Sales carries that brand. I didn't make it to Anker's but did make it to All South. I like the Avalon but after we left my wife said she likes the Gold Crown IV. I was surprised since it was in the $7000 range.

We are hoping to buy a new home next month that has a large finished basement and I'm wanting to add a nice table and a couple of pinball machines. I'm wanting to get an idea of what price range I'm going to be looking at for a quality table

I was just wondering who you bought your table from and what you thought of them.

TIA

Joe Marra
02-10-2003, 11:14 AM
I am the U.S. rep. for gabriels and I have a deal on a couple of tables. If you e-mail me your address I will send you a photo and some info. Regards Joe Marra/Excel Billiards 561-945-4448 jomarra@msn.com

02-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Do you have a web site for Gabriels, so I can get more information on the tables? I don't know anything about that brand.

TIA

02-10-2003, 01:38 PM
ColdBrew, you have a PM. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

David

NBC-BOB
02-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Well I would look for a 4-1/2 X 9 ft.It seems to me that the better tables have slate 1" thick.When I was in your area I noticed that most of the tables didn't have ball returns, just drop pockets. I prefer a ball return. A nice table used or new will always be easy to sell.Kind of like buying a car without AC even if you never plan on using it.
Select the cloth that you'll be playing on in your area so
you'll be practicing on the same cloth and won't have to spend the first hour trying to get adjusted to the speed.

Fred Agnir
02-10-2003, 02:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ColdBrew:</font><hr> Do you have a web site for Gabriels, so I can get more information on the tables? I don't know anything about that brand.

TIA <hr /></blockquote>

http://www.ballywulff.de/eng/a3/mid01.htm

Fred