PDA

View Full Version : 9 Ball is luck a factor

fasteddie
01-04-2003, 06:25 PM
9 Ball being the game it is does anyone think that luck is a factor of 9 ball, if so, do you think you can make your own or is it in the lap of the gods?

jjinfla
01-04-2003, 09:29 PM
Hell yes, hell yes and most certainly hell yes. Always say a prayer to the pool god before every match. LOL Jake~~~Steve Mizarek claims it is 20% luck.

Jon from MN
01-04-2003, 09:51 PM
I think we all make our own luck. If your always going towards your work then usually you will get the breaks. If your going away from your work luck wont be on your side. Also playing within YOUR game will help also. dont try doing things not within your arsenal. jmo ~~Jon from mn~~

L.S. Dennis
01-05-2003, 12:28 AM
Yes, unfortunately luck is a factor in 9-ball, at the very least 9-ball should use the call pocket rules. This would take much but not all the luck out and help to purify the game somewhat.

Popcorn
01-05-2003, 12:47 AM
Luck or what ever you want to call it, only provides opportunity. It is now up to the player to do something with it. Pool however has less luck then you may think. beyond the break, and possablity including the break, most of what happens on a pool table is very predictable. Pros could never play at the level they do if it wasn't. You can tell how clusters will break and how balls will kiss or billiard. Even in straight pool, I know from how I am going to hit the rack on a break shot, what balls will come out and where I will most likely have an open shot to start the next rack. If my opponent misses and leaves me a bad shot, was it good luck or bad. You could say it was good that he missed, or bad because he left me tough. Better players may seem to have more luck because they do more with a good roll. Weak players never seem to notice the good rolls they get because they don't do much with them. They do however remember every bad roll though and will blame their losses on them. Every shot that went bad for you, you got frozen to a rail or something, if you were able to shoot it over you could get a better result. The trick is to get the good result the first time and not to be blaming it on luck. Should my opponent miss and have the ball go in somewhere else, I pay little attention other then I am glad he misses. I have no control over what he does and what happens when he is at the table so, I don't care about it. I am only concerned about things I have control over.

Rod
01-05-2003, 02:39 AM
yes you can make your own but so can the other person. it all comes out in the wash. people blame bad luck when it is a loose connection between the ears. or should i say day light!

snipershot
01-05-2003, 02:54 AM
I feel that luck is a small factor in nine ball, the top players in the world have remained consistent for the last little while, if luck was a bigger factor the playres at the top would change more frequently.

You gotta be lucky to be good and good to be lucky!

cheesemouse
01-05-2003, 07:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> Yes, unfortunately luck is a factor in 9-ball, at the very least 9-ball should use the call pocket rules. This would take much but not all the luck out and help to purify the game somewhat. <hr /></blockquote>

This goes to show how far apart two pool players can be when they define luck or when they try to determine what was luck and what was not luck. You say nineball could be purifide by adding call shot to the 9-ball game while I think 8-ball would be improved by only having to make a legal hit on your set of balls to constitute a good shot, anything that goes after a legal hit is good. How about them apples????????

The Cheese always wants to be rewarded for taking the right shot... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Fred Agnir
01-05-2003, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote fasteddie:</font><hr> 9 Ball being the game it is does anyone think that luck is a factor of 9 ball, if so, do you think you can make your own or is it in the lap of the gods? <hr /></blockquote>
There is a luck factor in every pool game. And the definition of what is lucky changes as your skill level changes. Furthermore, the dependence on luck also changes as your skill level changes. The common saying is:luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

To go off subject, IMO, if you compare 9-ball to 8-ball, then 8-ball has much more luck involved. The subtleties of luck in 8-ball are just not so easy to see. But, IMO, the luck comparison isn't even close.

Fred

jjinfla
01-05-2003, 07:48 AM
Watched a guy in a tournament last night. He was at least an A player. It was amazing how many times the luck factor smiled on him. He would flat out miss a shot and time after time some another ball would drop or else he would leave his opponent with a tough shot, or no shot. Lady luck was truly on his side last night. When I left he was playing in the finals. But when lady luck did smile on him he would then run out the remaining balls or play a good safe. Unbelieveable how many "lucky" or fortunate things happened to him last night. But that is 9-ball. Just remember, when lady luck smiles, be thankful, and take advange of her. Jake

smfsrca
01-05-2003, 02:45 PM
You win or lose the game based on you and your opponents combination of skill and fortune. Every shot attempted has a degree of luck or a measure of probability associated with it. It is a game where having a good feel for the probability of a shot is important to winning. This is exactly what you are doing when you are deciding to shoot away or play safe. The probability for success is higher for better players than for weaker players.
This is more apparent in 9-ball then say straight-pool or one-pocket because you see players willing to attempt difficult shots more frequently in 9-ball. You will also notice that players measure of risk might change with the strength of his opponent or the number of games on the wire. Again, concisously or not, this is a decision based on the players measure of fortune, his probablility of winning based on a particular decision.

In short the answer to your question "9 ball is luck a factor", not only is it a factor, it is the essence of your decision making.

Steve in CA

Terry
01-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Like some of your other replies, I think their is some luck in all games but it is seldom the cause of the outcome. You can get luck on your side by pressuring your opponent into making mistakes and then making him pay the price ( which he can blame his misses on bad luck and say you here lucky he missed ). I played in a handicapped 9-ball tournament the other night in the next town about 30 miles down the road, I met a 7 handicap and he sujested we play call the nine and no early 9's, we met again in the finals and played the same rules which eliminated the 9's on the break as well as combo's, caroms and flukes.I do believe that in races to 7 or 9 the better player will win in call shot/fluke. Terry

eg8r
01-06-2003, 03:47 PM
I think luck is a factor in 9 ball more so than 8 ball or some of the other games. Outside of lucking in the 9 ball, I seem to get "lucky" with the rolls sometimes. By this I mean, when I miss a ball and play position for the next ball, it is often that my opponent is hooked. Many times I play this for the purpose of a safety because nothing else is available if I do make the shot, but many many times it is just a bad shot and I was lucky to hide behind the next ball in order. This seems to happen the most often. This is not a problem in 8 ball since usually there will be another ball on the table for the opponent to hit. Another problem of mine, is that when I do miss a shot, it will find its way into another pocket. This is the worst kind of luck and I am not really happy when this happens, however I will continue to play...that is the rules. LOL

You do not see the 9 ball getting lucked in very often when watching the pros because they have great control of the cue ball and try not to let it get away and roll around recklessly. On the other hand, bar players will just play hit em and hope, and they hit the ball hard and hope that it will go around the table and make something.

eg8r &lt;Sometimes too honest about personal ability /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif