PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read Harry Potter?

Fran Crimi
01-05-2003, 12:22 AM
I thought I'd find out what all the fuss was about Harry Potter so I picked up the first book last week to check it out. Holy smokes! What a fun book! I couldn't stop until I finished the 4th book and I can't wait for the 5th one to come out. This kid is totally adorable and I think the author is brilliant.

Has anyone else read the books?

Fran

Karatemom
01-05-2003, 01:07 AM
Hi Fran! I have not read any of them, but Christ has, and loves them. I'm really not into the kiddie/magic thing. Well, the first movie aired on HBO the other day and I started watching some of it. That was it, I was hooked. I might just have to swipe Christ's books and start reading them. Can't wait for the 2nd movie to come out on DVD. It's kind of like Nancy Drew meets Dungeons and Dragons, LOL.

Heide

9 Ball Girl
01-05-2003, 01:45 AM
I, too, couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. More so when on the subway I saw adults reading the books--that includes my 27 year old sister. Anyway, like Heide, I saw the movie when it aired on HBO. I'm hooked! I've just placed an order for all 4 books!

Rich R.
01-05-2003, 07:16 AM
Although I have not read the books, my wife has read them all. She loved them.
We have also seen both movies and we enjoyed them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The writer is brilliant. She went from welfare to billionaire in a very short time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cheesemouse
01-05-2003, 07:23 AM
Fran,
Read them all and I loved them. The author has a great imagination. Not just for kids.

WaltVA
01-05-2003, 07:38 AM
Fran - Like you, I thought I'd find out why kids who "hated to read" were begging for these books. I started the first one and was instantly hooked - the author has a wonderful imagination and the ability to blend the magical with very real characters and emotions. She's written a modern "Peter Pan" that will become an enduring classic for all ages, IMO.

Walt in VA

Fred Agnir
01-05-2003, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I thought I'd find out what all the fuss was about Harry Potter so I picked up the first book last week to check it out. Holy smokes! What a fun book! I couldn't stop until I finished the 4th book and I can't wait for the 5th one to come out. This kid is totally adorable and I think the author is brilliant.

Has anyone else read the books?

Fran <hr /></blockquote>
I started reading them at Book 3. My wife had been reading the others with the kids all along. I was instantly hooked, so I went and read the other two as well as the 4th. I've read each book at least 3 times, except the 4th which I only have read twice /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

When the first movie came out, I was at the first viewing... without the kids!

Book 5, The Order of the Phoenix is supposedly coming sometime mid-year.

Fred

Fran Crimi
01-05-2003, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> Fran,
Read them all and I loved them. The author has a great imagination. Not just for kids. <hr /></blockquote>

Yup. I read an interview with A.K. Rowlings and she said that she didn't plan for the books to be specifically children's books. It just turned out that kids really related to them. She also said that while she was writing the first one, which took her five years, in longhand, sitting in coffee houses, she was plotting out the story lines for the next six. She sure did good.

Fran

cheesemouse
01-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Fran,
Just read or heard that she is richer than the Queen... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not too shabby!!!

Barbara
01-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Fran,

I've never read any of the books and also wondered what the fuss was. After all, with all the marketing hype these days, you never know. But when the movie came on HBO I ended up watching it - with Pete - and we loved it!!

JUst might have to pick up a couple of the books for next vacation. Whenever that is...

Barbara

TomBrooklyn
01-06-2003, 01:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>Just heard that she is richer than the Queen...Not too shabby!<hr /></blockquote>Which Queen, if the Queen of England, why not? What does she do besides get dressed up, make cameo appearances and say a few words from time to time? Combine a couple of months of Charm School, some Public Speaking and Riding Lessons with a huge budget and anyone could do it. Maybe not as well as Her Highness Elizabeth and they might not be able to stay out of the scandal sheets; but they'd get by.

I saw the first Harry Potter movie which was nice. I'll check out his first book when I get a chance.

silverbullet
01-06-2003, 01:55 PM
Yup. I have read the first three. Still have the fourth to go. I really like children's fantasy tales btw. Loves the 'Chronicles of Narnia' by CS Lewis also. I also have another kids series on my shelf ready to be read. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bw