PDA

View Full Version : 3 second drop rule

jjinfla
01-05-2003, 08:02 AM
I was under the impression that if a ball hangs for three seconds, or is it five seconds, and then drops, the ball gets respotted. Well, last night a player played a combo and the 9 jarred but amazingly stayed up and came to a rest. the shooter was pissed and started to go to his seat while the other player was approaching to shoot. And then all of a sudden out of nowhere the 9 falls. I was watching and I really couldn't tell how long it sat before falling. It would be a pure guess. The incoming player, who plays pro, said that the way that is being decided lately is that if the shooter starts gong to his seat, and the other player is moving toward the table to shoot, then it gets respotted. There was no ref and they just agreed to replay the game. Had they respotted the 9 the pro would have had an easy draw from the 2 back into the nine. So, how would you decide this one? Jake

Rod
01-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Jake it's 5 seconds and the pro was right.

Leviathan
01-05-2003, 11:41 AM
Just to prevent possible confusion: the ball in question is to be returned as closely as possible to the position it occupied before it fell (Rule 3.31, General Rules of Pocket Billiards, BCA, 8/8/2002 and Rule 8.0-11, Texas Express General Tournament Rules, 4/4/02). That is, the ball isn't "respotted" on the foot spot.

D.M.

Rod
01-05-2003, 11:49 AM
Very true, thanks for adding that.

Sid_Vicious
01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Ironic this comes up, cuz that very thing happened to me in a game last night. The ball hung for a minute I bet, then plopped in. Neither of us were sure the rule so we spotted it. Now I know...sid

jjinfla
01-05-2003, 06:27 PM
Good catch Leviathan. I should have said replaced to its original position before it fell. Wrong choice of words on my part. I didn't mean that it would be placed on the spot. Jake